NAPHL Single "A" Minor League

Kanka

Dec 25, 2011
North Atlantic Professional Hockey League. A Single "A" hockey league scheduled to operate for the 2014-2015 season with 6 teams headquartered in North Adams, Massachusetts. Only one team has been announced so far, the Berkshire Black Bears.

http://thenaphl.pointstreaksites.com/view/thenaphl

Please Phil, give it up. The FHL is a joke enough and you left, now why start this farce?

And Phil, please hire someone to write your press releases. Your free agent camp write up is abysmal. This whole website screams amateur hour.
All teams will take to the ice Friday evening for their first game. Saturday will have all the teams hit the ice in the morning for a skills practice with coaches from the NAPHL and special guest instructor and former NHL’er ????????????.

Are that many question marks necessary? If you insist on writing your own press releases, then please invest in a AP Stylebook. It's only $16.

But seriously, just stop.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Please Phil, give it up. The FHL is a joke enough and you left, now why start this farce?

And Phil, please hire someone to write your press releases. Your free agent camp write up is abysmal. This whole website screams amateur hour.

Are that many question marks necessary? If you insist on writing your own press releases, then please invest in a AP Stylebook. It's only $16.

Heard these guys were looking at Glens Falls NY area??????

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
They can't even come up with an original name for the new league! WTF, The NAPHL is, and has been in operation for 6 seasons now. It's a AAA Midget league http://naphl.com/ My nephew played in it a couple seasons ago.

I doubt the midget is called a professional league. Same letters different name i would think.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
This again is going to be interesting. Lets just see how this thing turns out. I wont make any assumptions until this league gets going. I know the Eastern market is saturated with mostly AHL, NCAA DI, and even NCAA DIII with a couple of ECHL eastern thrown in the mix but that doesn't mean given the right team in the right market a lower level minor team couldnt work. The FHL has had some growing pains and a few cast of misfits which didnt help grow the league but Danbury has been a bright spot, and even Watertown to some degree has been a decent fit. Don't forget about the old Eastern Hockey League, or the Atlantic Coast Hockey League. Not every market is suitable for an AHL or even ECHL franchise in terms of population or depending on rink size. I see this NAPHL has it sights set on Berkshire County Mass. That area has hockey fans but I am not aware of a suitable arena, just two rec rinks. One in Pittsfield (very nice small city with sizeable population for lower level pro hockey) and one in Adams Mass. If Pittsfield can get a modest arena built I could see a product like that working.

mdhockey13

Feb 11, 2014
Which cities would fit this new league...could see Watertown and Danbury sliding over to this new league. In NY markets could include Jamestown, Elmira, maybe Glens Falls?

Kanka

Dec 25, 2011
This again is going to be interesting. Lets just see how this thing turns out. I wont make any assumptions until this league gets going. I know the Eastern market is saturated with mostly AHL, NCAA DI, and even NCAA DIII with a couple of ECHL eastern thrown in the mix but that doesn't mean given the right team in the right market a lower level minor team couldnt work. The FHL has had some growing pains and a few cast of misfits which didnt help grow the league but Danbury has been a bright spot, and even Watertown to some degree has been a decent fit. Don't forget about the old Eastern Hockey League, or the Atlantic Coast Hockey League. Not every market is suitable for an AHL or even ECHL franchise in terms of population or depending on rink size. I see this NAPHL has it sights set on Berkshire County Mass. That area has hockey fans but I am not aware of a suitable arena, just two rec rinks. One in Pittsfield (very nice small city with sizeable population for lower level pro hockey) and one in Adams Mass. If Pittsfield can get a modest arena built I could see a product like that working.

And not every market is suitable for beer league hockey masquerading as a 'professional' league.

I wouldn't be surprised if Danbury joins the SPHL before joining the NAPHL.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
And not every market is suitable for beer league hockey masquerading as a 'professional' league.

I wouldn't be surprised if Danbury joins the SPHL before joining the NAPHL.

I don't disagree with you as the NAPHL already looks like a joke on par with the FHL, especially hiring a guy as a coach who played football and not even hockey. If Pittsfield was to say join a market like Danbury in a start up Class A type league like the Southern League I could see a lower then ECHL pro league working. That league would have to find markets though with suitable arena, and not entrenched already with the AHL or strong DI programs nearby. When I mean nearby I mean less then an hour away or has enough population nearby to warrant a minor pro team. Danbury would be a solid choice, Pittsfield has the demographics but they just dont have an arena. Watertown NY with renovations of the arena might be okay as they love hockey up there. Glens Falls is on the table but they up there have already slammed the door on their own foot. The ECHL wanted to put a team there next season after their AHL team moves back to the Philly area and they have told the ECHL thanks but no thanks.

dj wes o yes

Mar 25, 2014
could this be the other league interested in Winston-Salem, NC area???

Error- I read the website, looks like only New York area.

Last edited:

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
North Atlantic Professional Hockey League. A Single "A" hockey league scheduled to operate for the 2014-2015 season with 6 teams headquartered in North Adams, Massachusetts. Only one team has been announced so far, the Berkshire Black Bears.

http://thenaphl.pointstreaksites.com/view/thenaphl

This is funny to me because back like a decade ago I believe they had a minor league baseball team that had this exact name(maybe without the Black part)

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

Lol. Lets have a game THEN a skills competition. Forget the writing the whole thing is a mess.

arlingtonway

Jan 30, 2009
teams 2, signed leases 0

-While Massena recreation officials said they have heard nothing since an initial presentation by Mr. Ericksen last month

-Recreation officials said they’re waiting to hear from Mr. Oakes to set up a plan for use of the arena, which also is used by several other groups during the winter, including Massena Minor Hockey, Massena Central School, the Massena Figure Skating Club and a broomball league.

“We need to see something concrete,†board member George Hammill said

LINK 1

Last edited:

arlingtonway

Jan 30, 2009
the NAPHL isnt even bidding on a lease in Watertown..

"Mrs. Gardner said that the North Atlantic Professional Hockey League will not submit a bid for a franchise in the city."

from this article: LINK

sam2020

Apr 1, 2014
A team in Ogdensburg i think would work its only about 40 minutes from Ottawa and could draw fans and players from Eastern Ontario the only question is do they have a arena that could support pro hockey.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
A team in Ogdensburg i think would work its only about 40 minutes from Ottawa and could draw fans and players from Eastern Ontario the only question is do they have a arena that could support pro hockey.

Would people cross the border from Canada to come to New York to watch single A hockey? Seems like too much of a hassle and not a great reward at the end of the night.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Would people cross the border from Canada to come to New York to watch single A hockey? Seems like too much of a hassle and not a great reward at the end of the night.

One must realize that having to get your passport ready and deal with customs just to see something that some people will deride as a "beer league" isn't worth it.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

Ogdensburg Free Academy has a pretty nice rink that could host a "team" in a "league" like this.

But herein lies the rub: the idea of drawing fans and players from Southeastern Ontario is farcical. First of all, if those players are getting paid at all, and they're from Canada, they'll need a visa. This "league" couldn't possibly afford that. And secondly or thirdly or whatever number we're on, Ogdensburg is St. Lawrence University fan territory. Those folks know their hockey and this "league's product" will be crap compared to NCAA D-I hockey. And in terms of drawing fans from Ontario, the Ottawa 67's and Kingston Frontenacs are both an hour away. It's way better hockey. Who would schlep across the border to watch this "league's" schlock when they could go see major juniors or Division I college hockey? The answer, of course, is nobody.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Ogdensburg Free Academy has a pretty nice rink that could host a "team" in a "league" like this.

But herein lies the rub: the idea of drawing fans and players from Southeastern Ontario is farcical. First of all, if those players are getting paid at all, and they're from Canada, they'll need a visa. This "league" couldn't possibly afford that. And secondly or thirdly or whatever number we're on, Ogdensburg is St. Lawrence University fan territory. Those folks know their hockey and this "league's product" will be crap compared to NCAA D-I hockey. And in terms of drawing fans from Ontario, the Ottawa 67's and Kingston Frontenacs are both an hour away. It's way better hockey. Who would schlep across the border to watch this "league's" schlock when they could go see major juniors or Division I college hockey? The answer, of course, is nobody.

But that's not to say that people won't go to the games. New York residents I think will support the team because they are 'pro'. Around December they'll realize it's beer league and not show up. The NAPHL will trick Massena into thinking a professional hockey team calls the small town home, when in fact, Massena hosts some good club players who can't give up the dream.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
But that's not to say that people won't go to the games. New York residents I think will support the team because they are 'pro'. Around December they'll realize it's beer league and not show up. The NAPHL will trick Massena into thinking a professional hockey team calls the small town home, when in fact, Massena hosts some good club players who can't give up the dream.

People will go - in small enough numbers to make the "team" and the "league" a financial failure off the ice.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
How can this "league" be considered a serious proposal? From the sound of it the FHL is a paradigm of stability by comparison... The proposed NPHL had a professional looking website and a high-minded mission statement and still never got off the ground a few years back so how does this even deserve a second look?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad