Speculation: Namestnikov

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Here's the problem with trading Namestnikov (aside from the negligible cap savings that we'd get from doing so:

Right now our center depth at the NHL level is as follows: Stamkos, Johnson, Filppula, Namestnikov, Boyle, and Paquette. Filppula is a goner after next season, if not before. Boyle is a fine fourth line center who we'd rather not have on the third line. Paquette is at best a decent fourth liner who we definitely don't want on the third line. Right there that makes Vladdy our only real choice for a third line center once Filppula is gone.

Now suppose we end up having to move Johnson as well - or even if we don't, suppose he gets injured. Now Namestnikov becomes our 2C. And when you look at the other centers in our organization they either don't project as second line players (Richard, Peca, etc.) or they do but are at least a couple years from being ready for that role (Point, Howden). Namestnikov is at the very least an affordable bridge between the present and the future, and he has enough potential that he could very well be the future himself.

That being the case we simply can't afford to trade him at this point. We need a middle six center who can potentially play on either an offensive second line or a defensive third line, and we aren't going to find one as good as Vladdy for any less than he's likely to make the next couple of seasons.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
I think Bolts fans should deal with the reality of the salary cap and just deal Namestnikov home to the Maple Leafs so they can get something instead of nothing. He makes too much to fit on their team and getting a 4th for him is better than nothing while making Tampa look good to other players by letting a player play for his hometown team.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think Bolts fans should deal with the reality of the salary cap and just deal Namestnikov home to the Maple Leafs so they can get something instead of nothing. He makes too much to fit on their team and getting a 4th for him is better than nothing while making Tampa look good to other players by letting a player play for his hometown team.

You can't be serious but I think you might be. He's a cheap asset that you aren't going to get for nothing.

Quackery

#MSpaintitorange
Nov 8, 2014
You can't be serious but I think you might be. He's a cheap asset that you aren't going to get for nothing.

I do believe his name says it all. But yeah trading Names gets lightning nowhere unless Flip is straped on to him.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I do believe his name says it all. But yeah trading Names gets lightning nowhere unless Flip is strapped on to him.

You're right in theory but in reality Tampa can't afford to trade Namestnikov AND Flip because they're playing centers. And losing both would dearly hurt Tampa's depth at this key position.

The guy I could see being attached to Vladdy was Callahan to keep Tampa's core intact but it's not even a realistic scenario because Callahan has a NMC. So even if he accepted to move his clause, it will likely force the receiving team to leave Vladdy himself or a good, young player exposed to Las Vegas.

Quackery

#MSpaintitorange
Nov 8, 2014
You're right in theory but in reality Tampa can't afford to trade Namestnikov AND Flip because they're playing centers. And losing both would dearly hurt Tampa's depth at this key position.

The guy I could see being attached to Vladdy was Callahan to keep Tampa's core intact but it's not even a realistic scenario because Callahan has a NMC. So even if he accepted to move his clause, it will likely force the receiving team to leave Vladdy himself or a good, young player exposed to Las Vegas.

Unless you trade those two centers for another center.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He's a guy I think Las Vegas would have interest in if he was exposed in the expansion draft.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Quenneville + Jacobs or some draft pick for him from NJ.

Since you traded Larsson it seems Severson would be unavailable so it would have to be Santini +. We have our own Quenneville and Jacobs type players so no real interest.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
He's a good offer sheet candidate IMO. 2nd round compensation. Up to 3.75 aav. Could Tampa match such an offer sheet?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
looking at TB....

they have about $8M and 3 RFAs.

with the expansion draft:

must protect: Stamkos, Callahan, unsure on Filppula if he has NMC or just a NTC.
others to choose from: Killorn, Johnson, Palat, Namestnikov, Kucherov, Drouin

So 2 players will need to be exposed in the waiver daft.

next year 3 of those forwards are going to be RFAs. If they lose one of their forwards they likely should be able to handle the those RFAs and being under the cap.

If Filppula doesn't need to be protected them he gets exposed and then the 8th player not protected gets exposed. That 8th player likely goes to Vegas assuming they don't trade the two players.

Of those Tampa fans---who are the ones not to be protected?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
looking at TB....

they have about $8M and 3 RFAs.

with the expansion draft:

must protect: Stamkos, Callahan, unsure on Filppula if he has NMC or just a NTC.
others to choose from: Killorn, Johnson, Palat, Namestnikov, Kucherov, Drouin

So 2 players will need to be exposed in the waiver daft.

next year 3 of those forwards are going to be RFAs. If they lose one of their forwards they likely should be able to handle the those RFAs and being under the cap.

If Filppula doesn't need to be protected them he gets exposed and then the 8th player not protected gets exposed. That 8th player likely goes to Vegas assuming they don't trade the two players.

Of those Tampa fans---who are the ones not to be protected?

I would think Killorn definitely gets exposed. Don't see an expansion team taking on a contract with 6 years left no matter if it's a fair deal or not, they'll want younger players or shorter term veterans. If we can't convince Callahan or Filpulla to waive, or have not traded Filppula prior, then Namestnikov is the most likely. If we sign him to a 1 year deal he'll be arbitration eligible again next year and not sure how a new regime would want to deal with that right away so might steer clear and pick someone like Garrison.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Have there been any reports on what he is seeking? To me, if he signs for under $2M, TB keeps him. If he's looking for more than that, I don't see how they fit him in with Kucherov, unless Callahan spends significant time on LTIR (but they would still need to figure something out when he comes back).

I don't think TB is thinking expansion draft right now...they want a Cup this year, and will deal with the loss of 1 player when it happens.

But realistically, you have to figure Nesterov gets over $1M, Kucherov will get at least $5M, which leaves $2.8M or so with just 21 players. Add Namestnikov at $2M, and you have 800k for a 23rd roster player. And if anything, these numbers are low. Kucherov could easily seek $6M+.

I've had my eye on Namestinikov for awhile. Seems like a guy that could do more with a bigger role, something he won't get in TB any time soon with Stamkos, Drouin, Johnson, Kucherov, Palat, Killorn, Callahan on the roster.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I would think Killorn definitely gets exposed. Don't see an expansion team taking on a contract with 6 years left no matter if it's a fair deal or not, they'll want younger players or shorter term veterans. If we can't convince Callahan or Filpulla to waive, or have not traded Filppula prior, then Namestnikov is the most likely. If we sign him to a 1 year deal he'll be arbitration eligible again next year and not sure how a new regime would want to deal with that right away so might steer clear and pick someone like Garrison.

I can't see them passing on a 24 year old center for a 32 year old defenseman with 1 year left just to avoid arbitration. Don't forget, LV will have no bad contracts on their books.

I can also see them having interest in Killorn. 6 years is a long time, but it represents some stability for a young franchise. It's important to have players that fans can root for. You don't want the whole roster turning over in 2-3 years.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Killorn would be one of the best forwards available to Vegas - of course they'd take him. And regardless of how much Hose loves Filppula there's no way we lose Namestnikov for him in the expansion draft. Filppula has to go that summer anyway for cap space and Vladdy is his replacement. If we can't move Filppula we'll buy him out before the draft.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

a 4th for vladdy yzerman could get two second's for vladdy he got that for bret connolly and he was worse then vladdy lol

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Killorn would be one of the best forwards available to Vegas - of course they'd take him. And regardless of how much Hose loves Filppula there's no way we lose Namestnikov for him in the expansion draft. Filppula has to go that summer anyway for cap space and Vladdy is his replacement. If we can't move Filppula we'll buy him out before the draft.

flipper has to go now just to sign kucherov and vladdy

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I can't see them passing on a 24 year old center for a 32 year old defenseman with 1 year left just to avoid arbitration. Don't forget, LV will have no bad contracts on their books.

I can also see them having interest in Killorn. 6 years is a long time, but it represents some stability for a young franchise. It's important to have players that fans can root for. You don't want the whole roster turning over in 2-3 years.

I agree both pieces would be better options over Garrison. Killorn is signed for 6 years but he did that for a team who was expected to compete for a cup I'm sure he would want out of Vegas right away, he just got paid and has no chance for a cup so he wouldn't have any incentive to be there. Namestnikov like I said going into arbitration could be a distraction for a team trying to sign a 23 man roster plus an AHL team. He also could look to get traded or ask for a huge deal to make it worth staying in Vegas.

I can see Vegas having huge turnover early, they're don't have that hometown aspect that Minnesota could with attracting UFA's. A lot of guys they bring in, especially the veterens will want to get moved to a contender at the deadline or huge money to stay. It's going to take Vegas a few years, especially winning ones to start attracting players who want to go there for more than just being overpaid to.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
flipper has to go now just to sign kucherov and vladdy

How do you see them getting rid of him now? Is someone taking a $5M contract for a player who is 32 and scored 8 goals last year? Or do you think they buy him out (since Killorn elected arbitration they have a second buyout window)? They would save cap space this year, but it would give them nearly $3.5M in dead space the next four years with Carle's buyout. Maybe that's the right move, but that dead space starts to add up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad