Speculation: Namestnikov

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Don't see Namestnikov going anywhere this summer. I think it's more likely we try to move Flip and failing that (and barring Dallas giving in and sending Honka our way for Bishop) I think Garrison gets moved a year ahead of schedule. It'll be next summer that one of Killorn, Johnson, Palat, or Drouin has to go.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If Tampa did look to trade him, what would they be looking for? I assume prosoects, but what positions?

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
If Tampa did look to trade him, what would they be looking for? I assume prosoects, but what positions?

RHD (particularly a puck-moving one) is our biggest organizational need, but then you can say that about a lot of teams.

One of the reasons I don't see us moving him is that by next summer Filppula will be gone and Johnson may end up being moved as well so we'll have an immediate shortage of center depth. That said we already have prospects at the position and unless somebody has a good ELC center who's already in the league there's not much point in trading Namestnikov for another center as the cap space gained would be negligible.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016

We basically need to replace Tony DeAngelo. A prospect with a similar skill set who is roughly as far along in the development process. Although unlike DeAngelo, said prospect would preferably also be able to play some defense and not have attitude issues, lol.

That is why Honka is the name that keeps coming up re: Bishop.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
RHD (particularly a puck-moving one) is our biggest organizational need, but then you can say that about a lot of teams.

One of the reasons I don't see us moving him is that by next summer Filppula will be gone and Johnson may end up being moved as well so we'll have an immediate shortage of center depth. That said we already have prospects at the position and unless somebody has a good ELC center who's already in the league there's not much point in trading Namestnikov for another center as the cap space gained would be negligible.

We basically need to replace Tony DeAngelo. A prospect with a similar skill set who is roughly as far along in the development process. Although unlike DeAngelo, said prospect would preferably also be able to play some defense and not have attitude issues, lol.

That is why Honka is the name that keeps coming up re: Bishop.

Gotcha. So from Philly, Phillipe Myers matches that need.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Well, I think we know who gets exposed in the expansion draft. Vegas gets six years of Killorn for a reasonable cap hit, and Tampa gets another playoff run from him, while also clearing cap for next year. I think the security for Vegas is greatly undervalued here (even I do it too often): they literally can't know if players want to be a part of the team from the get-go. This is why guys like Brodin, Killorn, Helm and others with long term contracts already in place are MUCH, MUCH safer bets (hehe) than high potential RFAs/one year from UFA guys.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
In a cap crunch scenario someone like Namestnikov is a keeper. He could replace Flippula on the 3rd line for a way lesser cap hit. The kid's going nowhere unless he's attached to a bigger, less movable fish to sweeten the deal.

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
Well, I think we know who gets exposed in the expansion draft. Vegas gets six years of Killorn for a reasonable cap hit, and Tampa gets another playoff run from him, while also clearing cap for next year. I think the security for Vegas is greatly undervalued here (even I do it too often): they literally can't know if players want to be a part of the team from the get-go. This is why guys like Brodin, Killorn, Helm and others with long term contracts already in place are MUCH, MUCH safer bets (hehe) than high potential RFAs/one year from UFA guys.

That's a great point. I do wonder how much existing contract term will play into who gets selected for the expansion draft, over the best player available.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I've wanted Vlad on the Devils for months, his underlying numbers suggest a breakout with a top 6 role. The versatility he brings is nice too. Big fan.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Would rather keep Namestnikov. He will be a cheap option going forward. Plus I think he gets better as he gets more ice time.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
There's no reason for us to move Namestnikov, people. He's not the guy we replace to save cap space - he is the cheaper replacement for guys like Filppula and possibly even Johnson next summer.

And why on earth would we move him for an older and worse center just to save a measly $500k or so? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Just reread the post and you expect us to add to Namestnikov to take back a worse player at essentially no cap savings? Are you high?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The Bolts may have to trade Fillpula for cap space and Namestnikov is exactly the guy you'd expect to step into that role.

They need him because he can contribute and do so at a likely cheap AAV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad