Name Thread v3.0 - Trademark Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
FWIW, these trademarks were filed by Thomas H. Prochnow, the NHL's trademark guy.

Most of Foley's and Foley's companies trademarks have been filed by a guy named Greenberg in the past. These are likely real if they're getting the league involved.

So, vote in the poll and hope it makes a difference. :laugh:

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Are these still rumors or rather almost confirmed ?

Seems like three domains all going ''Desert Knights'' in it got registered by NHL"

lasvegasdesertknights.com, vegasdesertknights.com and desertknightshockey.com

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Im the other way. Cut out the extra word and just go with Vegas. Thats what they will be referred to anyways so you might as well make it official.

Nevada >>>>>>>> Vegas though x1 million.

Vegas Desert Nights.

For the millionth time, no to both just Vegas and Nevada. Neither is gonna happen. If you wanna shorthand the team name to just Vegas, fine. But the city's official name is Las Vegas. Since this team will represent the city of Las Vegas it will be called Las Vegas in an official capacity.

Anything less than Las Vegas as part of the name is horribly unprofessional.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

Seems like three domains all going ''Desert Knights'' in it got registered by NHL"

We don't know who registered those domains, they're all done through a privacy company. The same privacy company that also owns my preferred name's domain, FWIW.

The trademark is the big thing, and there's three of them. However, that could also be (and I'm hoping is) a diversion. It makes little sense to register all three and their variations, but without bringing conspiracies in to play it seems like it will be one of those names. Get the conspiracy in play, and it means nothing. Having a name/jersey reveal loses a lot of its selling point if everyone knows the name ahead of time.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
We don't know who registered those domains, they're all done through a privacy company. The same privacy company that also owns my preferred name's domain, FWIW.

The trademark is the big thing, and there's three of them. However, that could also be (and I'm hoping is) a diversion. It makes little sense to register all three and their variations, but without bringing conspiracies in to play it seems like it will be one of those names. Get the conspiracy in play, and it means nothing. Having a name/jersey reveal loses a lot of its selling point if everyone knows the name ahead of time.

Peregrines?

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

I saw those three domains mentionned in the Evil Canadian media based in the Vulture City.

What they say is that Moniker Privacy Services is the same company that also registered NHL.com.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site

Seems like the team name will contain knights in it. Silver is a good option.

If it is knights, winder on the color scheme. Knight logo will be a silver knight, in the same way the army logo is along with the London Knight's logo.

Kings don't have as much silver in their uniforms. Mostly black and white with a touch of silver.

I would expect Vegas to have black as part of their color scheme. Wonder if they are going to add another color to it like red or blue.

Silver isn't the darkest color, so they would need to mix in something else to their knight logo to make it pop against the white uniform.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I saw those three domains mentionned in the Evil Canadian media based in the Vulture City.

What they say is that Moniker Privacy Services is the same company that also registered NHL.com.

Yeah, but Moniker is like GoDaddy, they could register a million names a day. They are/were a Top 10 registration service. The NHL could have registered them through Moniker just as easily as you could. :laugh:

It is a connection worth noting though. I think the trademarks are the real story here, though.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Aces was a cool name when it was being tossed about. Not a fan of anything involving Knights. When the dust settles I hope the hockey fans in Vegas are happy with whatever the outcome is.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Yeah, but Moniker is like GoDaddy, they could register a million names a day. They are/were a Top 10 registration service. The NHL could have registered them through Moniker just as easily as you could. :laugh:

It is a connection worth noting though. I think the trademarks are the real story here, though.

That's why I was asking. My next question is why all three names do revolve around Desert Knights...you could aswell register all three potential names and release the unchoosen ones after.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
That's why I was asking. My next question is why all three names do revolve around Desert Knights...you could aswell register all three potential names and release the unchoosen ones after.

Silver Knights (lasvegassilverknights.com) is also Moniker privacy registered.

The odd one out is Golden Knights, which is owned by some random guy.

IF we're taking Moniker as the smoking gun, there are three names that we've found that fit. Silver Knights, Desert Knights, and Peregrines.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

On this, there can be no debate. ;)

Oh, I'm fully on board now. In fact, I kind of was even back then. However, my seventh grade teacher taught us about Peregrines and she alternated between Green, and Grine, skipping Grin altogether.

I think it messed me up for life.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I think they're all terrible, but I went with Golden Knights even though everyone in the poll hates it. But mainly because it would be different "color scheme wise" I guess. Don't want the same colors as the Kings. Silver Knights does make the most sense from what people are saying, but I still hate the name.

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
Desert Knights, I mean.....I guess I can get used to it.

The ****in obsession with Knights from Foley killed everything we could of potentially had.

When someone else brings 500 million to the table, they can obsess on a different name...until then, thank you Mr. Foley!

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
FWIW, these trademarks were filed by Thomas H. Prochnow, the NHL's trademark guy.

Most of Foley's and Foley's companies trademarks have been filed by a guy named Greenberg in the past. These are likely real if they're getting the league involved.

So, vote in the poll and hope it makes a difference. :laugh:

Maybe it's the alcohol, but it has all become clear now. I was wrong, the name will be the Desert Knights. Look at the trademark guy's name. He has the same last name as Jurgen Prochnow, who portrayed Duke Leto Atreides in David Lynch's epically bad adaptation of Dune, which of course is set on a desert planet.

You will all have to attend in homemade stillsuits, pop in iridescent blue contacts and start "the spice must flow" chants.

:D

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Silver/Black 'Silver Knights' playing in the same division as the Kings who have the same colors?

I think they will go for gold.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
For the millionth time, no to both just Vegas and Nevada. Neither is gonna happen.

Both are just our opinions, though it sounds like I lost this battle unfortunately.

I just hate four words in the name. The flow is as terrible as Jagr's mullet.

Las Vegas Knights sounds great. Las Vegas Silver Knights does not.

Nevada Knights far and away has the best ring to it than any other name suggested here.

We should start crowdsourcing money to give to London for their name. Good god Foley. Pay the fee.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Silver/Black 'Silver Knights' playing in the same division as the Kings who have the same colors?

I think they will go for gold.

They can still incorporate another color like blue or red into the mix to avoid being too close to the Kings.

Kings have very little silver in the uniforms. Just the outline on their numbers, around the arm band. Logo is almost just black and white.

As long as LV avoids purple they should be fine.

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
I'll say it once and I'll say it again, if it is any of these names the ownership has already made such a big mistake coming right out of the gates with this team. The whole "Knights" thing is fine, but once you start adding adjectives it makes the team sound like we are in the ECHL. I'm really disappointed if any of those names are chosen.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'll say it once and I'll say it again, if it is any of these names the ownership has already made such a big mistake coming right out of the gates with this team. The whole "Knights" thing is fine, but once you start adding adjectives it makes the team sound like we are in the ECHL. I'm really disappointed if any of those names are chosen.

I agree.

Let's go Per-e-grines (clap clap clapclapclap)

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I don't mind Silver Knights. Kinda reminds me of the Silver Seven, the Red Wings, the formerly spelled Black Hawks. There are two original six teams with colour and name following, I don't see why there can't be insert colour Knights too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad