Nail Yakupov - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
To save another argument about the pronounciation of his name, Yakupov himself has stated several times that he is fine with and will go with the "Nail" (like in woodworking) to make things easier.

Grigo25*

To save another argument about the pronounciation of his name, Yakupov himself has stated several times that he is fine with and will go with the "Nail" (like in woodworking) to make things easier.

His groupie Alyonka pronounces it Na-eel.

ThundaLion

Jun 19, 2008
North Vancouver
It's interesting to see the hype for Yakupov die down on here. He has 8 points in his last 3 games, yet Grigorenko (who I'm also a huge fan of) seems to be taking over. Thoughts? Is this another example like Seguin catching up to Hall, Huberdeau catching up to RNH?

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
People know what they have in Yakupov. He has nothing else to prove. Grigorenko is the new hot thing and most people hadn't seen him play before his time in the Q.

It's not a Couturier situation where people are just unfairly picking his game apart because he's been atop the rankings for so long. He's still #1.

Grigo25*

People know what they have in Yakupov. He has nothing else to prove. Grigorenko is the new hot thing and most people hadn't seen him play before his time in the Q.

It's not a Couturier situation where people are just unfairly picking his game apart because he's been atop the rankings for so long. He's still #1.

Coturier wasn't unfairly picked on. he is just not great

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Great return for Yakupov tonight factoring in on all of Sarnia's goals with 2 Gs, 1A and scoring in the shootout.

Good to see him back in the lineup. It's a good thing for the OHL and the 2012 NHL Draft.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
Great return for Yakupov tonight factoring in on all of Sarnia's goals with 2 Gs, 1A and scoring in the shootout.

Good to see him back in the lineup. It's a good thing for the OHL and the 2012 NHL Draft.

did you watch the game? i did, he did not assist on the last goal but Home team helping him out with a point that he should not have. If you do not believe me look at the replays of the last goal if you can

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
It's interesting to see the hype for Yakupov die down on here. He has 8 points in his last 3 games, yet Grigorenko (who I'm also a huge fan of) seems to be taking over. Thoughts? Is this another example like Seguin catching up to Hall, Huberdeau catching up to RNH?

Probably because Grigorenko was ranked a top in the latest rankings.. From my limited viewings I think Grigorenko looks like he has more skill but Yakupov is more of a force. Yakupov is still really skilled though.. Granted I've seen them for about 3 games each :laugh:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not sure why Grigorenko is considered more skilled.

Yakupov is as skilled as any 1st overall pick since Crosby. His hands are out of this world.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
did you watch the game? i did, he did not assist on the last goal but Home team helping him out with a point that he should not have. If you do not believe me look at the replays of the last goal if you can

Yes I was at the game LIVE sitting right behind the net when they scored. The OHL scoring stats are monitored by OHL executives so if they say he got an assist and he didnt then it will be corrected. Either way, it was a second assist that Yakupov was credited with and it was from throwing the puck back to the point so it could've been him and it might not have been. Initially, no one was credited with the 2nd assist but it was added later on leaving me to think the OHL execs took a look at the play again and awarded the assist to the right guy. I won't second guess their stat until i see the replay myself.

Mistakes are made all the time so they could've got it wrong as they do in every league.

I am not sure why but there seems to be a lot of hate for Yakupov in the Grigorenko vs. Yakupov debate. Everyone should just enjoy the battle. When it comes down to it, the NHL team with 1st overall will select the player who best fits their plan as Grigorenko and Yakupov are both elite forward talents but they play VERY differently so that will likely influence who gets selected first.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Not sure why Grigorenko is considered more skilled.

Yakupov is as skilled as any 1st overall pick since Crosby. His hands are out of this world.

Yakupov's got more a dynamic quality because he pushes the pace of the game. When I watched Yakupov and the Russians up high in Ottawa a couple weeks ago the puck movement and pace just increased as soon as he got on the ice. Grigo's got those ridiculously soft hands, and he kinda slows it down and sees the ice.

Skill wise I put Yak on top but it's not a far reach to Grigo at all. The puck sticks to Grigo's stick more.

Ovechkin vs Malkin in skill level, it's a little bit similar IMO. You'll have many on either side.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
Yes I was at the game LIVE sitting right behind the net when they scored. The OHL scoring stats are monitored by OHL executives so if they say he got an assist and he didnt then it will be corrected. Either way, it was a second assist that Yakupov was credited with and it was from throwing the puck back to the point so it could've been him and it might not have been. Initially, no one was credited with the 2nd assist but it was added later on leaving me to think the OHL execs took a look at the play again and awarded the assist to the right guy. I won't second guess their stat until i see the replay myself.

Mistakes are made all the time so they could've got it wrong as they do in every league.

I am not sure why but there seems to be a lot of hate for Yakupov in the Grigorenko vs. Yakupov debate. Everyone should just enjoy the battle. When it comes down to it, the NHL team with 1st overall will select the player who best fits their plan as Grigorenko and Yakupov are both elite forward talents but they play VERY differently so that will likely influence who gets selected first.

I do not hate Yakupov i think he is a good player what i hate is home teams giving second assists to players that did not get it. Yakupov was in front of the net Thompson got the puck behind the net sent it to the point who scored. Yakupov never touch it on that play. Also the team does the offical scoring once the game if final any changes has to be done by the OHL.

Last year Strome had a lot of these assists when he did not touch the puck. Look at the replay. I was watching it and i had the PVR on and back it up many times. He never touch the puck. Also Barrie wins but Sarina gets first and third star. that is wrong.

Last edited:

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Unfortunately the replay on the Sting's 3rd goal doesn't show any enough footage to see who passed the puck to Basso so I will take your word.

As for the 3 Stars, do you really care about who gets the "Three Stars". If I am a visiting team there's no way I place any emphasis on who gets them. 3 stars are for the fans who payed to see the game. In saying that, Maxwell (stopped 35 shots and a ton of big saves to keep the sting in it), Schiefele and Yakupov were definitely the best players last night. If I were giving stars out I would've went:

1. Schiefele
2. Maxwell
3. Yakupov
HM: Telegin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad