Nail Yakupov - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck71*

Puts on a new show every night in the OHL, or at least it has been that way so far. Right now I'd label him as the most exciting player in the league probably one of the shiftiest as well. The scoring chances and dangles he is able to pull off on a nightly basis against OHL defenders are unbelievable. He's more of a playmaker but he can definitely put the puck in the back of the net. Like most russian imports his defensive game needs a lot of work but that will come over time. Surefire top 5 pick in 2012 in my opinion, I don't think the russian factor is enough for a team to pass on someone with this kind of skill set.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I've heard nothing but good things about him as well. I've been reading about him for 2+ years and was totally pumped when I heard he was coming to the CHL. I can't wait to watch a couple of Sarnia games this year. Yakupov and Galchenyuk are two exciting players.

For those who have seen Yakupov play, who does he compare to in the NHL? I don't always like making comparisons because it puts an undo expectation on a kid to reach a certain level, but comparisons do help us understand someone's playing style.

I know it is 2 years away, but 2012 sure is looking like a good draft, especially for Europeans. Frk, Galchenyuk, Yakupov, and Grigorenko are all considered (atm anyway) top 5 candidates.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Below is one of my scouting reports on Yakupov as I have seen him three times this season already.

Sept 24 Sarnia vs. Windsor
RW Nail Yakupov #10 Sarnia Sting 5’-10†170 Lbs – 2012 Eligible
Stats Line: Finished the night with 1 goal and a plus -1.
Notes: Absolutely pure offense…has great speed and two-step acceleration…his cuts and change of direction threw off defenders all night…possesses an absolute rocket of a shot…hug around the redline most of the night looking for breakaway passes and ventured into his own end only on occasion…has the awareness of where to be on the ice and consistently get open for his teammates…was all over the ice and dangerous on each shift…physical despite his lack of strength…was involved in a couple after whistle skirmishes…tried to lay the body a couple times and did not pick smaller opponents to do so against…attacked the net every time he had the puck…a pure finisher…high energy level.
Projection: Top five selection in 2012.

To answer the comparable question think of a Datsyuk/Kovalchuk mix type player as he has the moves and slick skill of Datsyuk along with Pavels size and strength concerns when he was younger but with less impressive vision and he has Kovalchuk’s shot with more his feistiness than both his countrymen.

He also lacks in the defensive game as he rarely comes back but instead is constantly looking for that quick strike offense by staying shallow in his own end when the play is deep in his zone and quickly evacuating to the redline when the puck changes possession.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
Thanks for that, Cup. He sounds a bit like Bure to me. Though likely not as fast. Really appreciate that assessment.

Last edited:

CanFan05

Oct 18, 2005
Montreal
Below is one of my scouting reports on Yakupov as I have seen him three times this season already.

RW Nail Yakupov #10 Sarnia Sting 5’-10†170 Lbs – 2012 Eligible
Notes: Absolutely pure offense…has great speed and two-step acceleration…his cuts and change of direction threw off defenders all night…possesses an absolute rocket of a shot…hug around the redline most of the night looking for breakaway passes and ventured into his own end only on occasion…has the awareness of where to be on the ice and consistently get open for his teammates…was all over the ice and dangerous on each shift…physical despite his lack of strength…was involved in a couple after whistle skirmishes…tried to lay the body a couple times and did not pick smaller opponents to do so against…attacked the net every time he had the puck…a pure finisher…high energy level.

To answer the comparable question think of a Datsyuk/Kovalchuk mix type player as he has the moves and slick skill of Datsyuk along with Pavels size and strength concerns when he was younger but with less impressive vision and he has Kovalchuk’s shot with more his feistiness than both his countrymen.

He also lacks in the defensive game as he rarely comes back but instead is constantly looking for that quick strike offense by staying shallow in his own end when the play is deep in his zone and quickly evacuating to the redline when the puck changes possession.

Thanks a lot Cup, really appreciate it!

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

RW Nail Yakupov #10 Sarnia Sting 5’-10” 170 Lbs – 2012 Eligible

my comparison is Nikolai Zherdev with more consistancy...Zherdev has the ability to dominate on the ice if he wanted to but just does not show up every night...to me Yakupov looks just like Zherdev did att the same age but he shows up every shift and is smarter on using his teammates than Zherdev was.

Forsburger

Feb 12, 2010
my comparison is Nikolai Zherdev with more consistancy...Zherdev has the ability to dominate on the ice if he wanted to but just does not show up every night...to me Yakupov looks just like Zherdev did att the same age but he shows up every shift and is smarter on using his teammates than Zherdev was.

You hit the nail on the head :sarcasm:

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
Nail Yakupov

Can anyone give an assessment of his play so far this year? Just by looking at stats, it looks like he's dominating. Second in OHL scoring, and since he's a late '93, not draft eligible until 2012.
He does have two 20 year-olds playing with him on the Sting that have similar high point totals, but it appears as though he's adjusted to the North American give very well.

pouskin74*

Can anyone give an assessment of his play so far this year? Just by looking at stats, it looks like he's dominating. Second in OHL scoring, and since he's a late '93, not draft eligible until 2012.
He does have two 20 year-olds playing with him on the Sting that have similar high point totals, but it appears as though he's adjusted to the North American give very well.

he was best in Russia and i would say he is the best in Canada as well. i think its Yakupov who is mainly "responsible" for stats these guys have this season. way to go Nail :)

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
An electrifying player...From what I've seen, he is a quick skater with lightning fast hands and a dynamic shot. He's got some stuff on youtube I would recommend checking out, some of the plays (and celebrations lol) he makes are reminiscent to those of Ovechkin.

CAPiTA

Sep 4, 2008
Vancouver
This is pretty much what would go down if a guy like Kovalchuk were to have played in the OHL back in the day. Kid is elite russian talent. Best as a 16 yo since Tavares so far.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
right now he's definitely looking like a top-10 2012 pick. One thing to consider is that he is playing with some pretty good players right now and sarnia likes to play their top line in some great offensive situations.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
This kid is as dangerous with the puck as with out it. I haven't seen him since the beginning of the season but he was dynomite.

That wasn't much wrong with his game that I can remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad