NAHL 2019-2020 Thread

Jason Smith

Jul 26, 2019
Anyone really stand out to you as a D1 prospect? Interested to keep up with them a bit this year
Goalie: Stanizzi has been on like 12 visits, other one already committed to Brown
Forwards: DeStefani is a D1 player and his younger brother might be too. Mancuso is getting a ton of interest. Schuett is as well from IVY schools, McCanney is a bubble D1 player. Franco is on the path to being a D1 guy but only an 02 and needs a big year. Kuzmich is close. Boysen is a bubble guy, and then they have like 5 Forwards already committed
Defense: Gaudette getting a bunch of interest. Nagle has been on a half dozen visits this summer, Henneghan is a D1 bubble guy. Already have 1 guy committed and the rest are high end D3 guys.

Reactions: tealhockey

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Goalie: Stanizzi has been on like 12 visits, other one already committed to Brown
Forwards: DeStefani is a D1 player and his younger brother might be too. Mancuso is getting a ton of interest. Schuett is as well from IVY schools, McCanney is a bubble D1 player. Franco is on the path to being a D1 guy but only an 02 and needs a big year. Kuzmich is close. Boysen is a bubble guy, and then they have like 5 Forwards already committed
Defense: Gaudette getting a bunch of interest. Nagle has been on a half dozen visits this summer, Henneghan is a D1 bubble guy. Already have 1 guy committed and the rest are high end D3 guys.
Thanks. I do remember DeStefani being a pretty good 99 back around the time he was heading to Gunnery. Liked Boysen back in the day with the Barons. Does seem like a solid group.

Jeffren3828

Aug 22, 2019

This sounds about right, they should be pretty solid this year, they have a good blend of veterans, role guys and up and coming guys. My son knows the 02 dman they have as well, who’s been on several visits as well, he’s young also but should develop well under these guys. Destefani, mancuso, schuett all are very good, gaudette and nagle are also good. Boyson is a grinder role guy but you need guys like that. Overall good amount of talent, we will see if they can put it together.
Has anyone heard how the Maine team is coming together?

Reactions: tealhockey

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Has anyone heard how the Maine team is coming together?
Haven't heard anything concrete, saw them out recruiting in NJ this summer. Remember reading about the "Maine Nordiques Development Program" because it is going to be based out of NJ this year, seems like they have a pretty well integrated approach to building the franchise with that and the NA3 team. look forward to how that plays out

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Rough opening weekend for Johnstown as well, dropping two to division rivals-- and it wasn't close in either game. It is of course very early, but this isn't entirely surprising, as most of their core aged out after last season. Still, it could be a tough season for a team that was insanely dominant last year.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Interesting to see how the two new teams did:
New Mexico 0-2
Maine- 1-1

The S5

Jul 27, 2017

Isn't Trevor Smith already committed to Vermont?

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
New Mexico attendance for the opening weekend was 2500 per game. I was not able to make so i don't have details. Feels like total people in the building, maybe 2500 as per fire marshal limit for standing room, on ice, etc. Pretty sure, there are not 2500 seats - no room for them.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I did attend the New Mexico game today. Attendence listed as 2000. No way! closer to 500 to 600.
I could die a happy hockey fan if just once, right after the in-game announcer reports "Tonight's attendance ...", the fans would count off in sequence from bottom to top in each seating section & then all shout the final head count in unison. Variations on this theme will be considered. :vhappy:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
What was going on this weekened?

St. Cloud Blizzard at Saturday - postponed
Minot at Friday and Saturday - postponed
Kenai River Brown Bears at Saturday - stopped in 03:59 2ND

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
What was going on this weekened?

St. Cloud Blizzard at Saturday - postponed (cancelled due to wintry weather)
Minot at Friday and Saturday - postponed (same as above)
Kenai River Brown Bears at Saturday - stopped in 03:59 2ND (looks like an incomplete game report issue - the Brown Bears Facebook page reported a Final score = Janesville 1 - Kenai River 4)
See (reasons above). Just another weekend in NAHL history.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Next season, the NAHL will return to Wichita Falls, TX.

NAHL team in Wichita Falls, TX approved for the 2020-21 season
OCTOBER 15, 2019

The North American Hockey League (NAHL) has announced that its Board of Governors has approved the membership application for an NAHL team in Wichita Falls, Texas owned by Robbie Hockey LLC, an entity owned and operated by Mary Anne Choi. The yet-to-be-named team will compete in the South Division beginning in the 2020-21 season and play out of the Kay Yeager Coliseum.

The new Wichita Falls team in the NAHL will play out of the Kay Yeager Coliseum. Completed in 2003, the Kay Yeager Coliseum is the cornerstone of the complex featuring permanent seating for 6,500 people and a variety of set-up options for conventions, sporting events, concerts and more. It was formerly is the home of the Wichita Falls Rustlers (2002-04) and Wichita Falls Wildcats (2004-17) Hockey teams, who both previously played in the NAHL. The Kay Yeager Coliseum also includes an NBA-quality Basketball floor, Indoor Soccer and Football turf, locker rooms, training rooms, state-of-the-art digital scoreboard and suites.

Press Release: NAHL team in Wichita Falls, TX approved for the 2020-21 season

Word of this happening started as soon as the USACHLOL fell on its big fat stupid face. It's good to see the NAHL keep a strong hold on the south, but hopefully this new owner can figure out how to keep this market stable. That arena is just too big for an NAHL team, so they better have a good lease.

I also find the wording the league's press release uses to be interesting. They're not calling it an expansion team yet; they're approving a membership application. Could they be leaving room for a relocation?

Reactions: mk80 and tealhockey

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I also find the wording the league's press release uses to be interesting. They're not calling it an expansion team yet; they're approving a membership application. Could they be leaving room for a relocation?
Good eye. Honestly didn't even realize the Wichita team was gone, lol. Saw the release and was like, what?

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Word of this happening started as soon as the USACHLOL fell on its big fat stupid face. It's good to see the NAHL keep a strong hold on the south, but hopefully this new owner can figure out how to keep this market stable. That arena is just too big for an NAHL team, so they better have a good lease. ...
Kay Yeager Coliseum reminded me a lot of Landon Arena (or whatever it's called these days) in Topeka. I don't know how either team managed to stay afloat at either facility.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
When you check the numbers, why do cities (and neither are like small cities in surprisingly large metros) that size have arenas that big anyway?

At least "location" would be a mitigating factor to cost of a larger facility... in theory. I do wonder if the new ownership will be getting a better deal than the one that doomed previous ownership.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
When you check the numbers, why do cities (and neither are like small cities in surprisingly large metros) that size have arenas that big anyway?

At least "location" would be a mitigating factor to cost of a larger facility... in theory. I do wonder if the new ownership will be getting a better deal than the one that doomed previous ownership.

Largely under the impression that the venue will make money for the city with events like conventions, concerts, religious seminars, WWE house shows, and other things like that, where the more seats you can get in, the more people you can fit in, and the more money you can make, although it'd be silly to assume that every event held would be at peak capacity (particularly WWE house shows). It also boils down to the "newness" factor where a newer venue attracts more events than an older one, as a venue built in the 2000s will more than one built in, say, the 1970s.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad