Injury Report: Muzzin placed on LTIR -- Update Feb 22 2023: Out for the season + playoffs

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Gotta feel for Muzz. True warrior.

He will be missed. I hope him nothing but the best
Like. +1
I'm still holding out hope that we find a replacement. Muzzin is one of our most important pieces come playoff time. These folks thinking it's gonna be similar against Tampa running Rielly, Gio and Sandin on the left side instead of running Rielly-Muzzin-Gio are gonna be in for a rude awakening.
I don't think we have the assets to trade for a replacement. Some sort of Muzzin lite like Schenn is possible though, and I expect that that is what will happen.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
So, to our Cap experts.
Do we then have about 4 Mill we can use in LTIR?

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
So, to our Cap experts.

I'm no expert but I believe we are using 1.875 (ROR) and 1.25 (Accari) of his 5.8 cap hit. So with it added up to 3.1 mill roughly, we have about 2.5-2.7 mil

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Thanks for the updates. So essentially we are dollar in dollar out trading right now.

We should still be be fine.

Lots of front loaded expiring deals we can move.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
A sad ending for an unbelievable player. His personal health and life after hockey comes first. What an add a healthy Muzz to our team would have been. Nonetheless I wish him the best and he was a pleasure to watch

Reactions: Al14

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
Wishing nothing but a speedy and full recovery for Muzz.
He has been and will be missed in the lineup and in the locker room.

I fully expect him to retire after he is healed.
Time will tell.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Also, everyone keeps saying he’s won his “cups”. Only one win, hope he gets his name on it this year too
Good point. But one of those odd situations where he was with the team in 2012 when they won, but didn't play any games during the regular season and was a healthy scratch in the playoffs. Yet he got to celebrate with the team on the ice. Just didn't get his name engraved on the Cup. I imagine he still got a ring out of it though.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Sadly he’s exactly what we need on our back-end. Wish him nothing but the best.

Also, everyone keeps saying he’s won his “cups”. Only one win, hope he gets his name on it this year too
He was on the 2012 Kings Cup winning team but was healthy scratched every game those playoffs .. he appears on 2012 championship team photo with Cup but his name was not scratched on da Cup

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
He was a big part in what allowed the transformation of the defensive core from being a tire fire to competent. A great defenseman who filled a huge need for us, hope he enjoys retirement

But man, imagine if this team had 2020 Muzz? We'd be loaded

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
So, to our Cap experts.

With Murray out we have about 4.5 mil in cap space at the deadline, when Murray returns, Woll goes back down, we will have about 400k to 500 k in cap space.

If we want to add to our roster it has to be roster player out for cap coming in. Like for like almost.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
So, to our Cap experts.

For what its worth there might be some more money. Given Anderson was waived today; probably another move incoming.

According to cap friendly we still got about 4 million in cap space

1677101485255.png

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
And so many in here trashed Muzzin’s play on many many nights.
Realistically though, the Muzzin of the last couple years was nothing of that when he was first acquired by the Leafs, let alone during his prime. So it was to a degree justified. His offensive production took a dip, he became slow as molasses, and as a result, his toughness was not as noticeable. He was 33 when he was playing (turned 34 yesterday), yet he moved out there like a 43-year old.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
The projected Cap Space is $0
Not sure if the Leafs next move involves players & picks or some creative accounting from the Leafs bean counters.
It is because leafs' total salary is ~89.63M (cap is around 82M ???). Since leafs has ~11M in the LTIR, Leafs should be able to get players with a total of ~4M AAV, maybe more if Murray does not come back until the playoff.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
It is because leafs' total salary is ~89.63M (cap is around 82M ???). Since leafs has ~11M in the LTIR, Leafs should be able to get players with a total of ~4M AAV, maybe more if Murray does not come back until the playoff.
I wish Murray well in his healing.I'm not a fan of going out & aquiring yet another goalie.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He'll probably ride next season out again on LTIR and probably joins the Leafs in a development role in the summer of 2025.

He's a beauty of a player when he's on the ice, pity there's no escaping injuries

Reactions: aingefan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad