Injury Report: Muzzin placed on LTIR -- Update Feb 22 2023: Out for the season + playoffs

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Is this the first step to Robidss Island?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
They’re saying it’s a neck injury, not a concussion, but we’ll see. If it is another concussion, man, he’s had a lot of those. Marner’s comments would make a lot of sense in that context, he’d be getting to that “significant risk of lifelong impacts” stage.

Lily is supposed to be back early November, right? At that point we’ll have a good lineup, even without Muzz:

Rielly - Brodie
Gio - Lily
Sandin - Holl

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They’re saying it’s a neck injury, not a concussion, but we’ll see. If it is another concussion, man, he’s had a lot of those. Marner’s comments would make a lot of sense in that context, he’d be getting to that “significant risk of lifelong impacts” stage.

Lily is supposed to be back early November, right? At that point we’ll have a good lineup, even without Muzz:

Rielly - Brodie
Gio - Lily
Sandin - Holl
Somebody should try to do a study on these concussions from guys who played 30+ years ago .. no wonder i get bad headaches often .. beer helps .. then you see guys like Salming and you wonder .. no one even knew what these concussions were .. all i remember was follow da finger and count da fingers and if you could you were ok to keep playing .. guys would be sick often in hotel rooms .. no one really either knew much or cared back then and we were playing for not much so it continued on .. good for boys today to get out early after maybe 5 or 10 of them .. even in junior now they keep you out after concussions

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

Rielly - Brodie
Gio - Lily
Sandin - Holl
We have to have Lily come back from injury and play great. Sandin has to step up. Holl shouldn’t even be on the team if this was a contending team. I’m not nearly as optimistic as you. I’m a big Lily fan too.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Kind of obvious for the last little while that Muzzin wasn't going to play out the contract healthy. Just a matter of when it happens. It's sad, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's played his last NHL game.

Excited to see Kral. Wonder if they plan on using him or Mete. Kral is still in the prospect category where you want him playing games, but they called up Robertson to sit Tuesday so it's not some sure thing that Kral gets in there over Mete but if they didn't plan on using him I would have recalled Hollowell instead. Kral is likely our most ready D prospect at this point.

Last edited:

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Kind of obvious for the last little while that Muzzin wasn't going to play out the contract healthy. Just a matter of when it happens. It's sad, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's played his last NHL game.

Excited to see Kral. Wonder if they plan on using him or Mete. Kral is still in the prospect category where you want him playing games, but they called up Robertson to sit Tuesday so it's not some sure thing that Kral gets in there over Mete but if they didn't plan on using him I would have recalled Hollowell instead. He's likely our most ready D prospect at this point.
OMG if the team ever dresses Hollowell. I honestly do not even consider him a prospect.
Give me DeKeyser any day and all day.
Even dare I say I would rather see the zombie himself Martin Marincin...AHHHHHHHHH

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
OMG if the team ever dresses Hollowell. I honestly do not even consider him a prospect.
Give me DeKeyser any day and all day.
Even dare I say I would rather see the zombie himself Martin Marincin...AHHHHHHHHH

I worded the end of that post terrible. When I said He's likely our most ready D prospect I meant Kral. Forgot the sentence before that was abut Hollowell so that's not how it reads.

Saying if the plan is to call someone up for the press box for a couple weeks(Mete plays) then use Hollowell as he's the non prospect. Kral is the prospect who needs to play somewhere

Reactions: The Iceman

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I'm not here posting all this because I'm an angry fan, or I want to say: "I told you so".

I'm a Muzzin fan. I am sad this day has come. When Muzzin is on his game he's a good defenseman. If TOR had any jam left on this team it was him. Now that's gone and it really sucks for everyone. If he is doing this for the good of his health and the good of his future wellbeing then I wish him well.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
IR until they need LTIR?

If he does go on LTIR theyre in a Q is for Quan, Quan is for Quandary

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
IMO Muzz should just call it a day. Collect his paycheck sitting on Robidas Island and try to get healthy.

No point in risking it. Its not like the the players have your back and will stand up for you. Other teams will take liberties on this team and no push back.

Muzz dooesn't have to retire just get a doctors note, go on LTIR and enjoy the rest of his life

Reactions: Ciao

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Marner quote certainly caught me off guard..seems likely out for a while. Likely takes away the need for any mid season trades in terms of moving guys out. Though potentially we could maybe become buyers at this point...

That said I always I hate when we try and speculate the scope/term of it. That's ultimately going to be between him and the medical staff on the team.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
"I can't see him coming back."

O-Dog Jeff O'Neill

Today on overdrive TSN
Interesting. I heard ODog say he hadn't heard the Marner clip and was surprised to hear Muzzin might not return this year.

The Marner quote certainly caught me off guard..seems likely out for a while. Likely takes away the need for any mid season trades in terms of moving guys out. Though potentially we could maybe become buyers at this point...

That said I always I hate when we try and speculate the scope/term of it. That's ultimately going to be between him and the medical staff on the team.
Opens the door for a potential Chychrun trade
OR
are there any teams looking to unload a D because they are too close to the cap...if so come on down!!
We will take your player and draft pick :)

Last edited:

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
wow he might actually be done. Dreger said out for a “long long time”

In either case that’s bad…either he’s actually done and leads will need to find a replacement which is hard to do. Or it’s up in the air and leafs are wondering if they can use that cap space or not for his eventual retur. Neither scenario is ideal obviously

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Interesting. I heard ODog say he hadn't heard the Marner clip and was surprised to hear Muzzin might not return this year.

Opens the door for a potential Chychrun trade
OR
are there any teams looking to unload a D because they are too close to the cap...if so come on down!!
We will take your player and draft pick :)

Depending on how things shakes out it absolutely allows them to make a couple different moves. They'll obviously best case scenario would simply be Muzzin coming back in a few weeks even a couple months

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Somebody should try to do a study on these concussions from guys who played 30+ years ago .. no wonder i get bad headaches often .. beer helps .. then you see guys like Salming and you wonder .. no one even knew what these concussions were .. all i remember was follow da finger and count da fingers and if you could you were ok to keep playing .. guys would be sick often in hotel rooms .. no one really either knew much or cared back then and we were playing for not much so it continued on .. good for boys today to get out early after maybe 5 or 10 of them .. even in junior now they keep you out after concussions
Agreed, I played fairly high levels of hockey growing up. Not PRO but Minor and JR, was a physical player always and scrapped quite a bit (I'm 39 now). We didn't know what concussions were until I was maybe 16/17. That's no one's fault, it was just the evolution. I was lucky enough to never have one (surprisingly) I have many friends who were awesome players in Jr. A and have had 20 plus concussions and it has screwed their lives. It's sad, hope Muzz makes the right decision, if indeed it is a conky.I can only imagine what some of the guy who made it to PRO went through. Thank god things are different with kids now and concussions are diagnosed at younger ages and the kids cannot play until cleared (head coached AAA for 10 years, so I have seen the progress firsthand.)

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I played high school football and had one serious concussion. Never played football again, but I had side effects for years after.

Brain injuries are to be taken seriously.

Imagine your skull is filled with a few dozen eggs. Try injuring your neck without scrambling the eggs. Possible, but not all that easy to do.

No one would thank Muzzin for coming back and putting his health at risk. If he does have a serious brain injury, then he should hang up the skates, contribute off the ice as best he is able for the duration of his contract, collect his pay and enjoy his life, family and the fruits of his labour. He's earned that.

If his contract is insured, he should consent to a Datsyuk/Pronger-type trade that relieves the Leafs of the consequences of LTIR.

If it isn't insured, then the Leafs could open up much needed cap space with LTIR anyway, expand their roster and move on.

It might be time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad