Rumor: Mutual interest between Jets and Evgeny Svechnikov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
For a part of last season he was on waivers and a bunch of fans (and some Sharks fans like me) wanted our team to pick him up, take a chance on potential. Sadly nobody picked him up. And now he's here, yikes.
I mean did you expect many teams to pick up waiver claims this past season?

Mandatory quarantine.

By the time any one was claimed and could help, it was too late for most teams, so a lot of players were left unclaimed for that reason alone, also why trades were at a low at the TDL. I think a lot of players that were overlooked will get a chance to earn a spot on some team with a proper camp and for many - the ability to heal from lingering injuries and a new perspective.

Remember, not a lot of players played in the year long lock out but many benefit from it.

Reactions: DeepFrickinValue

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I expect Svechnikov to come back to the KHL for a couple of years, and then maybe try for the NHL again.

Reactions: BHD

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
He could be good in a few years, his value is trash right now and he's still passable as a player. He's young enough that I could see him most likely coming back as an important role player in a few years like a Maroon type.

Reactions: Flair Hay and hn777

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Appears to have the hallmarks of a True North culture signing, if it happens. Such a smart way to run a business in that market.

Reactions: Morrison

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Wish him the best and hope he gets a shot. He just never had the right timing and opportunities with injuries and other prospects leapfrogging him. He's got some skill but he's definitely not cut out to be a bottom 6 workhorse guy, and I don't think he's ever good enough to crack a top 6. I just don't see it, but hope he makes it.

Great post...he's not a grinder for the bottom 6 and doesn't have the talent for the top 6.

Tweener.

Decent shot though.

Reactions: The Red Line

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Being in Winnipeg’s top 12 vs what ever Detroit could put on the ice for 12 forwards will definitely help him showcase his talents more!

Change of scenery……will help his game!

im looking for him to have a good season.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Kinda sad we totally gave up on him. But hhope he does well with the Jets. His problem has been being injured forever... not lack of talent.

Reactions: hn777

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Being in Winnipeg’s top 12 vs what ever Detroit could put on the ice for 12 forwards will definitely help him showcase his talents more!

Change of scenery……will help his game!

im looking for him to have a good season.

He didn't even need a change of scenery, he was fine last year when he played. It's hilarious the Wings think they're better off with the likes of Sam Gagner, Carter Rowney, and Vlad Namestnikov instead of giving Svech a chance at playing any role in the lineup. It won't make much difference in the grand scheme but just don't get what their front office is thinking sometimes.

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
I thought Lazarev should have been a draft pick. But all these years later he's still not even a KHLer.
I thought so too. I watched him a lot and was always impressed by how he slowed the pace down; in a similar way Datsyuk would. Maybe the pro game just caught up to him?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I thought so too. I watched him a lot and was always impressed by how he slowed the pace down; in a similar way Datsyuk would. Maybe the pro game just caught up to him?
I'm a Blackhawks fan and every time I saw E. Svechnikov I thought he looked good. With Detroit rebuilding, I have no idea why they didn't give him more of a look. It doesn't make sense.

Reactions: saintflannel

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
The Wings aren't exactly the best team with giving prospects a chance either, they let them age out almost in GR and then figure oh hey lets give you a shot now when it's basically too late!

So who knows how most of these players could have turned out if they left an awful dated system like the DRW.

In the last 10yrs, there's like what, 4 players that are still there that are impact players? Hronek, Zadina, Larkin, and Bertuzzi.

well, we basically were limited on 1st round picks until 2013 when we stopped trading them and have turned most of them into NHL impact players(Larkin, Mantha) NHL regulars(Rasmussen, Zadina) or players that made the team and are projected to be impact NHL’ers(Seider, Raymond, Veleno). 7/9 1st rounders and all picked within the top 15 as players on an NHL roster I’d say is pretty god damn good. Our only real bust is Cholowski, Svech’s issues were 110% injury related. Kid can’t skate anymore. He’s got the size, high hockey IQ, physical, great shot, all the makings of an impact top 6 power forward..

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
I'm a Blackhawks fan and every time I saw E. Svechnikov I thought he looked good. With Detroit rebuilding, I have no idea why they didn't give him more of a look. It doesn't make sense.
It's odd. If I remember correctly, Svechnikov and Lazarev were the highest scoring import duo in the CHL in their final year of junior. I think Dubois played with them most of the year; that didn't hurt. :laugh:

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
well, we basically were limited on 1st round picks until 2013 when we stopped trading them and have turned most of them into NHL impact players(Larkin, Mantha) NHL regulars(Rasmussen, Zadina) or players that made the team and are projected to be impact NHL’ers(Seider, Raymond, Veleno). 7/9 1st rounders and all picked within the top 15 as players on an NHL roster I’d say is pretty god damn good. Our only real bust is Cholowski, Svech’s issues were 110% injury related. Kid can’t skate anymore. He’s got the size, high hockey IQ, physical, great shot, all the makings of an impact top 6 power forward..

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
He didn't even need a change of scenery, he was fine last year when he played. It's hilarious the Wings think they're better off with the likes of Sam Gagner, Carter Rowney, and Vlad Namestnikov instead of giving Svech a chance at playing any role in the lineup. It won't make much difference in the grand scheme but just don't get what their front office is thinking sometimes.

although lets be honest they would have guys like that regardless

realistically if Svech was still around he'd be taking a roster spot from some other kid so i'm glad he's gone

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Kid always had skating issues.
Two straight years of knee injuries made them worse.

But it wasn't 110 percent injury-related.

It was also Red Wings-related.
In 16-17 he went 20-31-51 as an AHL rookie.
In 17-18, he got a grand total of 14 games played at 8:49 a night.
He played 123 minutes that year.
Guys who played more included Scott Wilson, David Booth...

18-19 was a wash.
But in 18-19 he played just 4 games in Detroit for a grand total of 8:20.
Guys who played more:
Timashov, Gagner, Givani Smith, Brendan Perlini (1G in 39 games), Ehn (2 goals in 54 games), Erne (2 goals in 56 games), Hirose (3 goals in 25 games.

Think about this: In the span of just a few months months, the Red Wings went out and acquired the following wingers in Svechnikov's age range.

Kuffner. Hirose. Fabbri. Erne. Perlini. Timashov.
And all of those guys, when they first arrived, got a better look than Svechnikov did.

And, of course, then last year, they brought in Bobby Ryan.
And of course, Bobby Ryan, a 33-year-old declining guy, played far more minutes than Svechnikov did.

Mattias frickin' Brome played 2 full weeks on the top line with Dylan Larkin. He played 13:39 a night for 26 games.
Svech played 11:49 a night for 21 games.

So yeah... injuries and skating played a role.
But so did the Red Wings' piss poor development.
Something I'm not entirely sure has been corrected.

Reactions: hn777
Nov 24, 2006
I didn’t see a noticeable lack of speed in the Jets games I saw him in?

D4ngleSZN

Sep 26, 2021
This makes it seem like Svech has tons of options lol. He should take the first offer he gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad