Mustang thread

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
BTW, this isn't the lounge, no one here is going to open fire. That said let's not h.ave self depreciation. I can say in all honesty, myself look forward to your insight as do anyone reading this. On a mustang front, I don't like how close my head is to the windshield, so I bought a used porche .it was the biggest pos I've ever owened. 4 wheels is transportation, drive whatever junk in the ground.
I don't have any insight. I love cars but I rarely, if ever, know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the recommendations.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Hey all,

I'm likely going to be in the market for a used Mustang in the near future and I'm hoping to get some input from people here.

Things I'm looking for:
- manual transmission
- cheap (want to pay cash so under $20K or so; not interested in financing at the moment)
- V8
- color choice would be preferably blue

I know a lot of the standard things to look for when buying a used car, but I'd welcome any input from experienced Mustang owners about what kinds of things Mustang-specific I should be wary of or looking for.

Any advice or even insults are welcome (I hate myself more than anyone could ever hate me so I won't get offended if you call me out on how big a loser I am.)

Thanks in advance.
Go for anything 2014 or older. The S197 generation (2005-2014) is exceptional! Especially the last few years from 2012-2014.
The SN95 generation (1994-2004), the older versions from the early mid 90's haven't aged well, but again, late in the run from 2000-2004 were pretty good.

Nothing comes to mind on what to watch out for, as my Mustang experience is personally tied to the high end GT500, so my one piece of advice wouldn't be relevant.... (there was a consistent 1st to 2nd gear grind during hard acceleration that Ford had to put out a TSB on because so many GT500's were affected, luckily it's been a virtual non-issue for me, but I have read that others have needed a lot of work related to it)... yeah, not relevant in your price range. Even if you get a S197 gen Mustang, you'll have a completely different power train.

You might end up with the dreaded "skip shift feature" though. I don't recall what year it was implemented, but if you're not aware of what it does, during certain conditions, it will close off the gates for the next gear and force you to go up another instead for fuel mileage reasons.

That's something GT500 owners never had to worry about. No forced skip shift on us... but GT and below had this "feature" forced upon their manual transmissions.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Go for anything 2014 or older. The S197 generation (2005-2014) is exceptional! Especially the last few years from 2012-2014.
The SN95 generation (1994-2004), the older versions from the early mid 90's haven't aged well, but again, late in the run from 2000-2004 were pretty good.

Nothing comes to mind on what to watch out for, as my Mustang experience is personally tied to the high end GT500, so my one piece of advice wouldn't be relevant.... (there was a consistent 1st to 2nd gear grind during hard acceleration that Ford had to put out a TSB on because so many GT500's were affected, luckily it's been a virtual non-issue for me, but I have read that others have needed a lot of work related to it)... yeah, not relevant in your price range. Even if you get a S197 gen Mustang, you'll have a completely different power train.

You might end up with the dreaded "skip shift feature" though. I don't recall what year it was implemented, but if you're not aware of what it does, during certain conditions, it will close off the gates for the next gear and force you to go up another instead for fuel mileage reasons.

That's something GT500 owners never had to worry about. No forced skip shift on us... but GT and below had this "feature" forced upon their manual transmissions.
Yeah I was looking for 2014 or older due to the price point.

Thank you for letting me know about skip shift...I would rather drive an automatic than be randomly forced out of my intended gear.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah I was looking for 2014 or older due to the price point.

Thank you for letting me know about skip shift...I would rather drive an automatic than be randomly forced out of my intended gear.
I do think I have heard some people were able to "tune" that out though? Might be worth looking into if that comes into play before you say no to it.
The S197's had a huge supply of after market parts/tunes etc, so if it is something that can be flashed out, that's still better than an automatic.

Edit: just confirmed that yes, it could be eliminated with an aftermarket tune. Also, it can be eliminated by disabling the solenoid itself that is used. (no error code shows when the solenoid is unplugged, so should be a seamless option if needed)

Last edited:

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I do think I have heard some people were able to "tune" that out though? Might be worth looking into if that comes into play before you say no to it.
The S197's had a huge supply of after market parts/tunes etc, so if it is something that can be flashed out, that's still better than an automatic.

Edit: just confirmed that yes, it could be eliminated with an aftermarket tune. Also, it can be eliminated by disabling the solenoid itself that is used. (no error code shows when the solenoid is unplugged, so should be a seamless option if needed)

This is not a permanent car, it's meant for being a cheap vehicle for a few years while I save up for something I really like later on, like a used GT350 or something. I'm willing to compromise on transmission and engine if it drops the price tbh. This is a temporary car.

As such, I'm not going to swap out parts. But I am extremely grateful for your input.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
That would be a matter of perspective. ;)
lol you can't really use more than 300 hp on the roads in a responsible manner, hence all the braindead Mustang GT owners crashing at Cars and Coffee events.

If you actually want to learn how to drive, take your car to the occasional track day, get the Coyote especially if you have the money.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
lol you can't really use more than 300 hp on the roads in a responsible manner, hence all the braindead Mustang GT owners crashing at Cars and Coffee events.

If you actually want to learn how to drive, take your car to the occasional track day, get the Coyote especially if you have the money.
Oh but you really can. Which is why I'm not one of those braindead Mustain GT owners crashing a car at Cars and Coffee.

Those are completely irresponsible braindead people who have no respect for what their vehicle is capable of and how it can jump up and surprise them if they aren't careful.

I get into the glorious supercharger whine every day I drive my 550HP GT500. ;)

I have my 550hp 2012 Shelby GT500 and a 333hp 2015 Audi S4. I would be very underwhelmed if I had to go with the ecoboost Mustang. So, like I said, it's just a matter of perspective.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I get wanting a V8 in a car like the Mustang but the Ecoboost manual Mustangs are pretty fun and still offer adequate power.
It's sound.

I don't like turbochargers in enthusiast vehicles at all. They're socks in the mouth. Might as well consider an EV at that point, though you can't shift those on your own.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
So I've had new neighbors for about a month now and there's been a car in the driveway under a cover. Well it was finally revealed today to be a Mustang GT. Yellow with the black stripe down the middle, so you know its good lol. Exhaust sounded amazing.

Still havnt talked to the guy so I don't know what year or exact model. I just see the GT badge on the back, but it looks very new. I'd take a pic but I don't wanna look creepy 😅

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Hey all,

I'm likely going to be in the market for a used Mustang in the near future and I'm hoping to get some input from people here.

Things I'm looking for:
- manual transmission
- cheap (want to pay cash so under $20K or so; not interested in financing at the moment)
- V8
- color choice would be preferably blue

I know a lot of the standard things to look for when buying a used car, but I'd welcome any input from experienced Mustang owners about what kinds of things Mustang-specific I should be wary of or looking for.

Any advice or even insults are welcome (I hate myself more than anyone could ever hate me so I won't get offended if you call me out on how big a loser I am.)

Thanks in advance.
Manual Transmission off the table, as my right arm is basically in a soft cast.

Of the very few things in my miserable life that I enjoy...there goes one of them.

• Wow

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Manual Transmission off the table, as my right arm is basically in a soft cast.

Of the very few things in my miserable life that I enjoy...there goes one of them.
I think we are going to hold off entirely.

I don't really need a car at the moment and money's tight for now.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
So I've had new neighbors for about a month now and there's been a car in the driveway under a cover. Well it was finally revealed today to be a Mustang GT. Yellow with the black stripe down the middle, so you know its good lol. Exhaust sounded amazing.

Still havnt talked to the guy so I don't know what year or exact model. I just see the GT badge on the back, but it looks very new. I'd take a pic but I don't wanna look creepy 😅
20230814_134235_copy_1836x2448.jpg

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
It have a chrome Diff and yellow traction bars to go with the matching ,probably yellow rattle can ground effects underneath? The car snob in me doesn't like yellow cars , or black wheels..I'd drive it though.
Lol lemme crawl underneath a strangers car for ya and check

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
It have a chrome Diff and yellow traction bars to go with the matching ,probably yellow rattle can ground effects underneath? The car snob in me doesn't like yellow cars , or black wheels..I'd drive it though.
A Porsche GT4RS looks amazing in yellow.

It also works on Lambos.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Also OT but @TheAngryHank we just saw a 90's Nissan Pathfinder still kicking ass, I thought you'd appreciate that
Dude , bullet proof , more 90s hardbody trucks and pathfinder than any other 90s rigs out there.

A Porsche GT4RS looks amazing in yellow.

It also works on Lambos.
The 911 is such a good looking body they look good any color , like the Etype Jags..impossible to screw up.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
2025 Mustang GTD “the most audacious and advanced Mustang ever.”

Thing is going to be impossible to get and incredibly costly.

I mean, they can't even fill demand for the Dark Horse now, this car will be super hard to get.

I also am not sure how well balanced this thing will be.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Thing is going to be impossible to get and incredibly costly.

I mean, they can't even fill demand for the Dark Horse now, this car will be super hard to get.

I also am not sure how well balanced this thing will be.
300k...and balance? That's what that huge stupid hideous made from 100%rice wing on the ass end is supposed do.

MikeFolignosHelmet

Fan of the game
Sponsor
Dec 24, 2018
Banner Elk, NC
I was thinking this was a homologation car needed for some racing class, but it isn't. It's just a completely bad ass Mustang that is essentially a race car. These will all be sold and tucked away in private collections. I don't expect to ever see one in the real world.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
I was thinking this was a homologation car needed for some racing class, but it isn't. It's just a completely bad ass Mustang that is essentially a race car. These will all be sold and tucked away in private collections. I don't expect to ever see one in the real world.
Exactly the opposite of what the Mustang has always stood for.

But I agree with you, unfortunately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad