OT: Must see/ do in Winnipeg

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I won't share the hidden gems in Winnipeg, but if you're looking for something to do check out Fort Whyte if you enjoy riding a bike. Probably one of the best bike trails in Canada which will also lead you to a dozen more amazing bike trails.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I didn't see a general OT thread, so created this one.

I'm coming to Winnipeg next weekend for a few days. I've been away for almost 5 years now. What do I have to check out?

I came back after ~5.5 years as well and literally nothing has changed other than Ikea and the new outlet mall :laugh:

Reactions: Jet

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
You lived allot of your life here so I am trying to think what has changed. I agree on the Forks they have really done a good job with evolving their brand. Everyone tells me Clementine has the best breakfasts in the city but you would want to check out their hours because I think they are closed a few days. Other than that I have spent so much time raising a young family I am pretty unplugged.
Clementine is amazing for breakfast/brunch. Get the pork bellies.

The new conservatory and structure going up at Assiniboine Park is something. They've opened the surrounding gardens...but it'll probably look better in a year or two when plants have had a chance to establish (and when the building is open). True North Square behind the arena is new since you were last here. There's a pretty cool food area in there. As mentioned above, the Forks has changed with the new food/beer area. What else is new? Have you been out to a Bomber game at IG Field yet?

Reactions: ps241 and Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Clementine is amazing for breakfast/brunch. Get the pork bellies.

The new conservatory and structure going up at Assiniboine Park is something. They've opened the surrounding gardens...but it'll probably look better in a year or two when plants have had a chance to establish (and when the building is open). True North Square behind the arena is new since you were last here. There's a pretty cool food area in there. As mentioned above, the Forks has changed with the new food/beer area. What else is new? Have you been out to a Bomber game at IG Field yet?
I have!

Reactions: Gm0ney

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Sub headline:

Many ask - why the f*** did he go to the Ex when he lives by Busch Gardens, Disney World and Universal Studios?

:laugh:
All those expensive theme park rides with their fancy robo-coaster technology and high levels of maintenance? No thanks! Give me some 50 year old Ferris wheel hastily assembled by a couple of half-cut high school dropouts - now that's real excitement! ;)

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Trying to think of what has changed in the last 5ish years (with 1.5 years being COVID so you couldn't go anywhere).

The zoo has had some major renovations with the polar bear exhibit, etc. I feel like that happened maybe 6 or 7 years ago though... but I'd say that is worth checking out if you haven't done it.

Last edited:
Reactions: djc, Gm0ney and Jet

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Sub headline:

Many ask - why the f*** did he go to the Ex when he lives by Busch Gardens, Disney World and Universal Studios?

:laugh:
The thrills from the rides may be less at the Ex, but there's always that extra thrill of never knowing when/if you're gonna get shivved.

I actually haven't been to the ex since it was at the stadium, and I'm sure it's a little less sketchy now that it's out at the downs. Now it looks like it might be a slightly upgraded community club fair.

Reactions: Jet

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Red River Catfshing: serious World Class fishing in our backyard. There are lots of outfitters at reasonable prices. You can also just fish from the shore at Lockport… but really you want to fish from a boat..
In the winter there are lots of guys on kijiji that tent shacks fully stocked and pre drilled for like $80 with the stove lit…although in the winter your going for walleye and sauger… but still it’s awesome fishing and 15-20 mins from Winnipeg

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Where's the most picturesque pond or place to play Hockey outdoors in the Winter time in Winnipeg or in the province?

I'm trying to play in every province/territory's most beautiful location starting this upcoming Winter!

Been dreaming of spending a couple of days in the cold Manitoba Winter's lol. Quebec Winter's no longer have the same consistency and peak cold temps as I see in Manitoba.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Where's the most picturesque pond or place to play Hockey outdoors in the Winter time in Winnipeg or in the province?

I'm trying to play in every province/territory's most beautiful location starting this upcoming Winter!

Been dreaming of spending a couple of days in the cold Manitoba Winter's lol. Quebec Winter's no longer have the same consistency and peak cold temps as I see in Manitoba.
If you have the time to travel out of the city, there are some great rinks in the vicinity of Riding Mountain Provincial Park (Clear Lake):

upload_2021-8-18_19-20-7.png

If you want a place in the city, then head down to The Forks - there are a couple of hockey rinks on the river with some interesting people to play shinny with.

forks hockey.JPG

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Winnipeg has an amazing food scene. Truly, and I am not just saying this, having lived and travelled across Canada it is in my top 3. Toronto, Montreal and Winnipeg for food. IMHO.

Anyone visiting this thread can be rest assured the food scene is excellent there.

Also, the best Blueberry beer I’ve ever had is the one Trans Canada brewing does.

enuffidiotsalready

Nov 25, 2019
Winnipeg has an amazing food scene. Truly, and I am not just saying this, having lived and travelled across Canada it is in my top 3. Toronto, Montreal and Winnipeg for food. IMHO.

Anyone visiting this thread can be rest assured the food scene is excellent there.

Also, the best Blueberry beer I’ve ever had is the one Trans Canada brewing does.
you're not lying about the beer.

Reactions: roccerfeller

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

My wife loves that beer. Their summer mixer pack is excellent as well. It's been a regular purchase for the home with the boss stealing the Bearberry and Radler, leaving the rest for me. Avenger is their best beer IMO.

My wife's previous favorite blueberry beer was from Pumphouse out on the east coast that you could pick up here as well at liquor stores, but TCB has displaced it.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

yup. i love the WPG local beer scene. not a huge beer-drinker, but everything i've tried from Kilter, Barnhammer or Nonsuch are dynamite (mostly IPAs or Sours)

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
As a former Winnipeger...grew up sledding at Omands Creek. We would walk down Wellington Cres and cross the footbridge (attached to the train bridge). Is that still a thing? Looks like the area has been developed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad