OT: Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
What are you looking at for Record Store Day? It always leaves me a bit underwhelmed, but then I think my tastes are a little arcane, but then I think that record buyers tend to have arcane tastes. I mean, are people really buying Destiny's Child records? Or Britney Spears remixes? Or live TOTO records?

I was looking at:

Boys Next Door - Door, Door
Meat Puppets - Meat Puppets 10"

Might look at the Team Dresch comp, Refused radio sessions, and the June of 44 reissues. I have Wipers - Is This Real? and don't really see the difference from the RSD version. I love Bitches Brew, but I don't know about 2 LPs worth of demos for it.
Since you mentioned the Meat Puppets I just want to say that "Taste of the Sun" is such an unbelievably beautiful song and among my favorite songs by any band ever.

Also I saw that Screeching Weasel just released a new album and yes it is awesome. Now if we also get a new Queers or Dickies album it might be enough to save this absolutely horrible year.
Have a tix for a huge hardcore festival in late May headlined by the Gorilla Biscuits in Brooklyn that is incredibly unlikely to happen. I hope they reschedule this because they are like the one band I listened to in High School I've never seen live.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I did my 21 favorites. I'll post them here chronologically because I'm an attention whore.

XaNbHqLm.jpg

Velvet Underground - White Light, White Heat (1968)

9MFHKSlm.jpg

Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks (1977)

Suqg66Qm.jpg

Wire - Pink Flag (1977)

IfjQ3Q9m.jpg

Black Sabbath - Never Say Die (1978)

xY62TQ3m.jpg

Buzzcocks - A Different Kind Of Tension (1979)

t2lSg7gm.jpg

Iron Maiden - Killers (1981)

l3o2SG5m.jpg

Public Image Ltd. - Flowers Of Romance (1981)

S6AfFdYm.jpg

Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing (1982)

nmhy0I9m.jpg

Saccharine Trust - Surviving You, Always (1984)

AWH8jljm.jpg

Die Kreuzen - Die Kreuzen (1984)

q67EaRlm.jpg

Leatherface - Mush (1991)

9IIyexim.jpg

Jawbreaker - Bivouac (1992)

adhP7Jdm.jpg

New Bomb Turks - Destroy Oh Boy (1993)

Q9LdE6am.jpg

Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime (1994)

tz2GC1Xm.jpg

The Party of Helicopters - Abracadaver (1997)

T4gkvdim.jpg

Avail - Over The James (1998)

VsG00W1m.jpg

Refused - Shape Of Punk To Come (1998)

TxBK8xgm.jpg

End On End - Why Evolve When We Can Go Sideways? (2002)

hbwyXIbm.jpg

Planes Mistaken For Stars - Up In Them Guts (2004)

NEMLOHym.jpg

f***ed Up - Hidden World (2006)

h8hyd8lm.jpg

NASA Space Universe - Across The Wounded Galaxies (2011)

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Got tickets to Billy Joel in September at MSG...really hoping it doesn't get postponed. Gift from a business partner, never seen him live.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
Good to see some vinyl in here! Spent a bit of time this quarantine rehabbing my dad's 1981 MCS 6701 turntable, which is a rebranded Technics SL-D5. Despite being locked away in their basement for over 25 years, it didn't need much to become serviceable again - lots of cleaning, a new cartridge, and a quality phono preamp since I didn't already have one.

Needless to say I've been spending a ridiculous amount of money on LPs the past couple of months. I've had five or six of these for a few years but the rest have all been bought recently. My collection as of today:

Alkaline Trio - From Here to Infirmary (red & black edition)
Band of Horses - Cease to Begin
Beach Bunny - Honeymoon
Foo Fighters self-titles
Nada Surf - Let Go
Nada Surf- The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy
Nirvana - Nevermind
Pinback - Autumn of the Seraphs
The Postal Service - Give Up
Radiohead - OK Computer
The Strokes - Is This It
Tennis - Swimmer
The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
Vampire Weekend self-titled
Yes - 90125

By the time I click "Post Reply" I will probably have ordered more :laugh:

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Not a big Queen fan but would have loved to seen them live. Mostly listen to 80s rock and some 90s alternative. Don’t listen to any modern day music. I meant to say with Freddy Mercury of course.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Good to see some vinyl in here! Spent a bit of time this quarantine rehabbing my dad's 1981 MCS 6701 turntable, which is a rebranded Technics SL-D5. Despite being locked away in their basement for over 25 years, it didn't need much to become serviceable again - lots of cleaning, a new cartridge, and a quality phono preamp since I didn't already have one.
That's great. I've been saving some vinyl and old audio equipment but decided to sell it all just before C19 hit. When things are lifted I'm going to follow through. The electronics are almost 40 years old and I bought it all new - Mitsubishi power amp and pre-amp/tuner and a pair of Polk Monitor 10s (plus a turntable and some other stuff I've accumulated through the years). IDK if Audio Breakthroughs is still in biz on Rt 110 in Huntington, but this was some of their best stuff that wasn't in the high-end room where they had the Dahlquist speakers, etc.. I guess it was high-end, low-end. :laugh:

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Got tickets to Billy Joel in September at MSG...really hoping it doesn't get postponed. Gift from a business partner, never seen him live.

I'd be shocked if they pull that off. We had tickets to Band of Horses rescheduled date down here on 9/26 that was just canceled yesterday. And that was only a 3K person venue.

Oddly we also have Billy Joel tix for 4/17/21 at BofA stadium (original date was 4/16/20) which we now can't use because good friends scheduled their wedding that day down in the keys. Of course AFTER the Ticketbastard refund request window had closed.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I'd be shocked if they pull that off. We had tickets to Band of Horses rescheduled date down here on 9/26 that was just canceled yesterday. And that was only a 3K person venue.

Oddly we also have Billy Joel tix for 4/17/21 at BofA stadium (original date was 4/16/20) which we now can't use because good friends scheduled their wedding that day down in the keys. Of course AFTER the Ticketbastard refund request window had closed.
I think you should go to the Billy Joel concert and skip the wedding. If only to read here what your friend's reaction is when you tell them that you'd rather go to Billy Joel than their wedding. :)

Reactions: Merrrlin

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

I might be able to help you out with those extra tix.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I'm ready for the abuse, but I actually like Taylor Swift's new album a lot. A lot different than her previous work. Folksy, chill. Very cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad