OT: Music 6

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just watching one of my favourite podcasts and the topic of Bowie Bonds came up. Apparently David Bowie partnered with Prudential Insurance in 1997 to create a Bond class (Bowie Bonds) that used his catalogue as underlying assets. He used the $55 million he raised to buy back more of his catalogue he didn’t own to further enhance his royalties. The bonds were a 10 year issue that promised a $7.5% rate of return plus they paid back investors priciple over the time frame. The bond preformed so it was good for all involved.

Pretty genius and innovate move at the time.

Last edited:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Just watching one of my favourite podcasts and the topic of Bowie Bonds came up. Apparently David Bowie partnered with Prudential Insurance in 1997 to create a Bond class (Bowie Bonds) that used his catalogue as underlying assets. He used the $55 million he raised to buy back more of his catalogue he didn’t own to further enhance his royalties. The bonds were a 10 year issue that promised a $7.5% rate of return plus they paid back investors priciple over the time frame. The bond provoked and was good for all involved.

Pretty genius and innovate move at the time.
Bowie wasn't just a charismatic and inspiring performer....

Hell of a business man especially when he settled down with his family...

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Just got back from the Chris Stapleton concert. Wow. It almost isn't fair the gifts people are blessed with compared to the rest of us mortals.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Came up in my feed. Obviously have seen before, big Blackberry Smoke fan. Needless to say huge Amanda Shires fan. Crazy big Tom Petty fan. This just works. Great version.

Didn't get to the show tonight much to my dismay but really wanted to see the Strokes. Hat tip to @John Agar for the introduction.

Did get to this show the other night and was pleasantly surprised. I like country music, though mostly just drinking songs. This show had substantial blues influences in it. From what I've heard the country music industry told Chris Stapleton he was a great writer but his voice was "wrong" for country. Sure, ok. Bit of the "video killed the radio star" thing going on as well I expect. Very happy he crushed those notions. Great show.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Came up in my feed. Obviously have seen before, big Blackberry Smoke fan. Needless to say huge Amanda Shires fan. Crazy big Tom Petty fan. This just works. Great version.

Didn't get to the show tonight much to my dismay but really wanted to see the Strokes. Hat tip to @John Agar for the introduction.

Did get to this show the other night and was pleasantly surprised. I like country music, though mostly just drinking songs. This show had substantial blues influences in it. From what I've heard the country music industry told Chris Stapleton he was a great writer but his voice was "wrong" for country. Sure, ok. Bit of the "video killed the radio star" thing going on as well I expect. Very happy he crushed those notions. Great show.

Love the Struts , i have seen them 4 times, 3 times in LA and once in Minneapolis. They finally come to Winnipeg and i couldn't go .:laugh:

Bahama Mama

Sunny days
Oct 12, 2022
Winding Bay
Everybody knows the song and here's how it came about. And an epic live version from 2005 with a bass solo and drum solo.Easy to understand why Jimmy Hendrix tried to recruit the bassist and why Pete Townsend wanted the drummer to replace Keith Moon.

Another of their few hits in North America. Acoustic version is even better than the original if you ask me. It's actually about Jason Bourne, from the novels. I did however really like the original and also the extended version during the disco clubs years.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
A few years ago Slash did a album with a whole bunch of different singers and it was great. He's got another one coming out, Slash and Chris Stapleton doing a very old classic from Fleetwood Mac , really good.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We don't feel what we should when we should...

Feelings are some sort of entitlement these days...

Its just virtue signaling...

It is hollow... it's not fighting for what is right... who we love and care for...

This is for my best school time buddy... my best man... my best friend... my Brother from another Mother...

For those who know who Mike was... understand forgiveness is the gift you give yourself...

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Everybody knows the song and here's how it came about. And an epic live version from 2005 with a bass solo and drum solo.Easy to understand why Jimmy Hendrix tried to recruit the bassist and why Pete Townsend wanted the drummer to replace Keith Moon.

Another of their few hits in North America. Acoustic version is even better than the original if you ask me. It's actually about Jason Bourne, from the novels. I did however really like the original and also the extended version during the disco clubs years.

Saw them what feels like a billion years ago at the old arena. They weren't a huge draw and more people may have been present to see Accept (Balls to the Wall) than Golden Earring. They put on a great show and had arguably the best bass solo during the concert that I've ever seen live (Blue Oyster Cult had a great one as well at live shows).

I'm trying to remember how many other bass solos I've seen live. I'm not sure the pool is that deep, especially compared to drum and lead guitar solos. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00