Post-Game Talk: Murray's first Win as a Leaf!, 5-2 leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Sparks was on the team full time in 2018-2019. 2 years after we drafted Matthews. That was after Mac's big season and we went with Sparks over him.

Our organizational philosophy at the time was "back up goalie wins are lucky". Which is also why we never bothered to replace him for about a year and a half

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Our organizational philosophy at the time was "back up goalie wins are lucky". Which is also why we never bothered to replace him for about a year and a half
That wasn't our organizational philosophy at all. We chose Sparks, like any team would, because he was the young, Calder cup-winning, AHL goalie of the year, and McBackup was a journeyman backup in his mid 30s who would be gone in a year and never replicate the season he had just put up. And we replaced Sparks a couple months into the season, and he was traded from the team the following draft, so I don't know where this year and a half stuff is coming from.

Reactions: Magic Man

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Challenge accepted :D

Sadly even though he was in completely alone on net, he has such little finish ability, dishing it off was probably the best move. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been given a standing order to do this whenever possible from Keefe.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
That wasn't our organizational philosophy at all. We chose Sparks, like any team would, because he was the young, Calder cup-winning, AHL goalie of the year, and McBackup was a journeyman backup in his mid 30s who would be gone in a year and never replicate the season he had just put up. And we replaced Sparks a couple months into the season, and he was traded from the team the following draft, so I don't know where this year and a half stuff is coming from.

It was 100% an organizational philosophy not to mention a thought process shared by Dubas fan boys like you when used to devalue the babs and Lou accomplishments

It took a year and a half to get a suitable back up and replace mcbackup. Which is why we had Hutchinson in goal.

Might wanna think for a second before doing your usual and worshipping your hero

Reactions: Jmo89

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Sadly even though he was in completely alone on net, he has such little finish ability, dishing it off was probably the best move. I wouldn't be surprised if he's been given a standing order to do this whenever possible from Keefe.
A standing order to pass the puck off from what was essentially a breakaway? Yea, I guess it wouldn't surprise me if Keefe gave an order like that.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It was 100% an organizational philosophy
It was not an organizational philosophy. Nobody has ever said "backup goalie wins are lucky". That odd statement is something you came up with all on your own.
We chose Sparks because he was the beyond obvious choice, that any team/GM would have chosen. And contrary to your claim, when he didn't work out, he was immediately replaced.
I don't know why you say these things when it's so easy for anybody to look it up and see that you're wrong...

Reactions: mclaren55 and kb

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
It was not an organizational philosophy. Nobody has ever said "backup goalie wins are lucky". That odd statement is something you came up with all on your own.
We chose Sparks because he was the beyond obvious choice, that any team/GM would have chosen. And contrary to your claim, when he didn't work out, he was immediately replaced.
I don't know why you say these things when it's so easy for anybody to look it up and see that you're wrong...

Sparks was the obvious choice for who? Blind people? The guy was horrid from game one, even though game one was a shutout, he never looked like he belonged in the NHL, nice revisionist history lesson there buddy. I can distinctly remember after his first game thinking, I bet there are going to be a bunch of people who don't understand the game think that this guy is the next coming of Potvin. Don't know why you say these things it is so easy for anyone to look up YouTube videos that show how poor of a NHL goalie he was.

Reactions: saltming

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Sparks was the obvious choice for who?
For literally any GM or team that has ever existed. Nobody chooses to lose their young, Calder Cup-winning, AHL goalie of the year without giving them a chance, especially over a mid-30s journeyman backup you got off waivers that's gone in a year anyway.
The guy was horrid from game one, he never looked like he belonged in the NHL, nice revisionist history lesson there buddy.
Through his first 2 months that year, he was 4-1, with a 0.924 SV%, for the record. There are some attempting revisionist history here, but it's not me.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
For literally any GM or team that has ever existed. Nobody chooses to lose their young, Calder Cup-winning, AHL goalie of the year without giving them a chance, especially over a mid-30s journeyman backup you got off waivers that's gone in a year anyway.

Through his first 2 months that year, he was 4-1, with a 0.924 SV%, for the record. There are some attempting revisionist history here, but it's not me.
I have to agree he didn't look good even then. Pucks were squirting through him the whole time, but just defected enough to miss the net. His entire NHL career he was leaky start to finish.
Yes he had a superb AHL career but that's where it stopped. No slight to him, that's just the way it goes for goalies

Reactions: Hellcat

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Sometimes people WATCH the game and come to an EDUCATED opinion, I guess you have a different system.

Sparks was constantly overplaying the puck, constantly out of position, constantly giving up big juicy rebounds. it isn't that he played great , it was that the other teams didn't take advantage of a fish out of water.

You're the type of guy who looks at a stat sheet and see's Kulemin score 30 goals and think, hey looks like we got an elite sniper.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Sometimes people WATCH the game and come to an EDUCATED opinion, I guess you have a different system.
No, I watch the game and come to an educated opinion, but I don't ignore all of the relevant information at the same time. The fact is that, as a young, Calder Cup-winning, AHL goaltender of the year, he was worth a shot as our backup over a mid-30s journeyman waiver claim approaching UFA. That is undeniable. And while it wasn't always pretty, he actually started off that year relatively well, despite your false claim that he was garbage from game 1.

It's really easy to play Captain hindsight and claim he doesn't have what it takes over 4 years after the decision had to be made. Seems a lot of people here didn't watch him in the AHL.
Yes he had a superb AHL career but that's where it stopped. No slight to him, that's just the way it goes for goalies
Yes, he was never able to establish himself in the NHL. But that doesn't change the fact that you don't throw away a mid-20s goalie prospect that had a "superb AHL career", and just won a Calder Cup and AHL goalie of the year with your team. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes it doesn't. But the fact that it doesn't sometimes doesn't mean you make a beyond stupid decision and throw them away before you even give them a chance.

Reactions: Obo and Magic Man

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
No, I watch the game and come to an educated opinion, but I don't ignore all of the relevant information at the same time. The fact is that, as a young, Calder Cup-winning, AHL goaltender of the year, he was worth a shot as our backup over a mid-30s journeyman waiver claim approaching UFA. That is undeniable. And while it wasn't always pretty (not every goalie is pretty while being effective), he actually started off that year relatively well, despite your false claim that he was garbage from game 1.

It's really easy to play Captain hindsight and claim he doesn't have what it takes 4 years after the decision had to be made.

Yes, he was never able to establish himself in the NHL. But that doesn't change the fact that you don't throw away a mid-20s goalie prospect that had a "superb AHL career", and just won a Calder Cup and AHL goalie of the year with your team. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes it doesn't. But the fact that it doesn't sometimes doesn't mean you make a beyond stupid decision and throw them away before you even give them a chance.

Captain hindsight? Fun childish nick names .. cute.

At the time he was playing for the Leafs, I was posting on this very board that he was not ready for the NHL. Calder or no Calder he was not a quiet goalie, he grossly over played lateral movement shots, he played on his knees far too often (usually a sign that the goalie lacks confidence).

There is this thing called object permanence. my dog has no concept of object permanence. When we are playing I hide his toys and because he can no longer see them, in his mind they no longer exist. You and my dog are very similar, just because you didn't see my post critiquing Sparks, you think those post don't exist and you create what is at best a poor attempt at a childish nickname. Son expand your horizons, there is more to this world than what you retain between those two ears of yours.

You suggest a few things that are undeniable but yet your being challenged on your thought process and you find that uncomfortable. If its undeniable, how can people challenge your narrow premise? On the throw away comment, who suggested that he is thrown away? You go from A to Z without ever discussing B to Y. Perhaps the option is to let him grow at a lower level or trade him for an asset if he wont pass through waivers. Your suggesting because he won a minor pro TEAM trophy he is entitled to a NHL job. If we follow your logic everyone on that Calder winning team deserves a shot at the pros because they won the Calder too.

Please try to think through your post before you post them, they feel sloppy and easily dismissed.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021

I said it took a year to replace McElhaney maybe you should read. He was not three obvious choice as McElhaney was one of the best back ups in the league the previous season. You have personally said multiple times that Lou's 103 point season doesn't count due to lucky back up goalie wins. Once again getting caught in a lie then doubling down on it quite the pattern

Everyone is aware that most of your brain power is used on one thought and that's "I love Kyle Dubas so anything he does is good”

It's why no one respects what you say because most of it is made up and incongruent and when you get called on you just dig yourself a bigger hole

Attempt to argue something
Get caught in a lie
Dig yourself in hole
Report person in attempt to get them banned when called out on it

Lather rinse repeat with you

Beyond a joke at this point

Reactions: GoonieFace

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Captain hindsight? Fun childish nick names .. cute.

At the time he was playing for the Leafs, I was posting on this very board that he was not ready for the NHL. Calder or no Calder he was not a quiet goalie, he grossly over played lateral movement shots, he played on his knees far too often (usually a sign that the goalie lacks confidence).

There is this thing called object permanence. my dog has no concept of object permanence. When we are playing I hide his toys and because he can no longer see them, in his mind they no longer exist. You and my dog are very similar, just because you didn't see my post critiquing Sparks, you think those post don't exist and you create what is at best a poor attempt at a childish nickname. Son expand your horizons, there is more to this world than what you retain between those two ears of yours.

You suggest a few things that are undeniable but yet your being challenged on your thought process and you find that uncomfortable. If its undeniable, how can people challenge your narrow premise? On the throw away comment, who suggested that he is thrown away? You go from A to Z without ever discussing B to Y. Perhaps the option is to let him grow at a lower level or trade him for an asset if he wont pass through waivers. Your suggesting because he won a minor pro TEAM trophy he is entitled to a NHL job. If we follow your logic everyone on that Calder winning team deserves a shot at the pros because they won the Calder too.

Please try to think through your post before you post them, they feel sloppy and easily dismissed.

Start at Dubas is right 100% of the time then make up facts from there and you'll understand his argument better

Reactions: Hellcat

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I said it took a year to replace McElhaney maybe you should read.
You said it took a year and a half to replace Sparks. That is factually incorrect. He was replaced by the end of December.
You have personally said multiple times that Lou's 103 point season doesn't count due to lucky back up goalie wins.
Nobody said anything close to that. Lou didn't even have a 103 point season. Lou's big season was put in the context of the unsustainable things that contributed to it - a backup randomly performing at a Vezina-level, and a ridiculously lucky shootout record - but nobody said anything close to "back up goalie wins are lucky". That's just you misunderstanding the discussion.
He was not three obvious choice as McElhaney was one of the best back ups in the league the previous season
He was the obvious choice, as the team's young goalie prospect that had multiple good years in the AHL, who had just won the Calder Cup and AHL goalie of the year. McBackup had a great year in 2017-2018, but he was not replicating that anyway. He was a mid-30s career backup journeyman who had been claimed on waivers and would be gone in a year.

Last edited:

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
You said it took a year and a half to replace Sparks. That is factually incorrect. He was replaced by the end of December.

He was the obvious choice, as the team's young goalie prospect that had multiple good years in the AHL, and just won the Calder Cup and AHL goalie of the year. McBackup had a great year in 2017-2018, but he was not replicating that anyway. He was a mid-30s career backup journeyman who had been claimed on waivers and would be gone in a year.

I said it took a year and a half to replace him meaning McElhaney

No one cares about the calder cup it's one off the least important titles in professional sports. The only reason you care about it is it's the only thing Dubas has won in his career. The fact that it's celebrated here by some as an accomplishment is hilarious

McElhaney played 33 games the year we waived him with a .912 and started 5 playoff games

Then played two more years in the league he quite obviously still had juice left his only issue with the leafs is that Kyle Dubas can't do his job properly

We get it dude it's a 1 or 0 proposition with you Dubas did it so it's a great move.

You might as well just copy and paste that for every post

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I said it took a year and a half to replace him meaning McElhaney
Well you replied to something discussing Sparks, and everything else seemed to be about him, so that's odd. And still wrong. We immediately replaced McBackup, and then replaced the replacement for him a couple months later. If you mean replacing what he did in 2017-2018, nobody was ever going to do that, even McBackup himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad