Injury Report: Murphy out 12 weeks with back injury (9/19)

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Conor Murphy is a 1980s D. Hate to break it to some of you, but this isn’t the 1980s. He hasn’t earned Runblad level of vitriol from me, but he’s got the potential. Chicago needs to stop trading for PHXs crap.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

migi

Feb 25, 2015
If Joki bursts onto the scene, what do you do with Murphy when he comes back? Do you make him a third pairing guy, let him bump Seabrook down, or do you just trade him?

I think if Joker really goes full McAvoy mode, they at least try to trade Rutta first.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I do not condone murder. :)

In all seriousness, is Seabrook our #3 DMen? Is he still in the top 4?
In all seriousness, I thought that Murphy was unquestionably the #2 this season and during his absence, I would say that Seabrook is the #2 and it is scary. This is absolutely a cellar dweller as currently constructed. They're in line for a bottom 5 finish, as with the new information about Crawford it is hard to see him ever suiting up in net again :(

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
And of course he gets injured likely negating any of the that momentum.
Hes looked damn good in the world championship the last 2 times he played in it too... then played meh on bad nhl teams every season.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
At some point, you have to see if defensive prospects can play in the NHL.

Dahlstrom is 23 and has spent 2 seasons in the SHL, and 2 seasons in the AHL.

Carlsson is 21 and has been playing in the SHL for 3 years.

That said, the hole on the right side is Joker's to lose. By all accounts, they think he's ready. He needed to work on his defensive game, and he did that. He needed to bulk up, and he did that.
I agree, but did anybody think Dahlstrom looked good in his brief stint here last year? Not me, I think he looked like he didn't belong.

As for Carlsson, 3 seasons in the SHL means squat, he hasn't even played on NA ice yet.

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
The Hawks told reporters today that they are going to provide more injury information than they have in the past. It will no longer be upper or lower. They will be specific. I think it is stupid but that is just me.
Why is it stupid?

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
For what it's worth, Lazerus said on his podcast on the Athletic that Murphy was arguably their best defenseman last season. It was a really good podcast if you are interested in something to listen to.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
I wonder if this injury pushes a renewed interest in Faulk?​

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Murphy was a D4 caliber guy last year for the Hawks. He was, as some here have asserted, the hawks 2nd best all-around D-man last season --- but still he was a D4 caliber guy.

The hope would be that he would improve this season and maybe be a D3 caliber guy. Losing him for the first portion of the season is bad for the Hawks --- this team cannot afford to lose any D-man.

Heck... w/o Murphy, do the Hawks have a legit top-4 (D1-D4) caliber D-man other than Duncs?

Is Rutta D4 caliber? maybe? Is manning D4 caliber? maybe? Anyone else? Seabs --- if improved some --- perhaps he is a legit D4-caliber guy. But all these guys are question marks --- so the loss of Murphy on most teams would be fairly minor a thing --- but on this Hawks team, it is a big loss.

It seems to me that the Hawks will have to score 4 or more goals in a game to have a reasonable chance of winning. That is, there will not be that many games with this D and with the Hawks goal-tending (w/o Crow) where the Hawks will hold opponents to 3 or fewer goals --- at least not often enough to amass a very good record. I would not anticipate many 1-0, 2-1, or even that many 3-2 wins for the Hawks (of course there will be some --- but amassing a decent record will require the Hawks to score a ton). For the Hawks to consistently win they are going to have to score a great deal --- because again, with the D the Hawks will ice and with the goal-tending of Ward & Forsberg (assuming they play like they did last year) the Hawks will be letting in many goals. So... the loss of any D-man hurts.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Bad news but this opens the door completely for HJ.

Keith-JK
56-7
23/63/44

This is how I would roll at least.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
As someone who is from a family with a history of back problems, all of these timetables are really just estimates. back stuff is notoriously hard to put time tables on. Wouldn't be shocked if it's much logner than 12 weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad