News Article: Murat/The Athletic: What is the problem with Winnipeg's penalty kill?

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
They are slow sluggish never pressure the puck even when the opposition fumbles the puck. It’s a laughable game plan and well come back to eat them up!

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
We are almost 20 games in with a PK that is other worldly bad and the coach is sticking with it. That is how Maurice operates. He is terrible at making adjustments in game and in season.

They were at least trying to be more aggressive pressuring on the PK. Especially in the first period. After we got the lead we seemed to revert back to our passivity

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
They were at least trying to be more aggressive pressuring on the PK. Especially in the first period. After we got the lead we seemed to revert back to our passivity

I might have to re-watch the game but it sure didn't look like that to me live. The entire 3 PK's in the 1st seemed like I was watching the Jets do their best 4 man box routine where they moved as little as possible and waved their sticks around.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I might have to re-watch the game but it sure didn't look like that to me live. The entire 3 PK's in the 1st seemed like I was watching the Jets do their best 4 man box routine where they moved as little as possible and waved their sticks around.

They had their box moments but they were pressuring the puck more than they have been.

Small steps

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Copp and Lowry were much better, Hendricks and Tanev not so much. I'm not sure Tanev quite understands his role, he was all over the place and Hendricks seems to be directing traffic with him quite a bit.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Not counting the Montreal game, the Jets have played 5 games this month and let in one goal on the PK in those 5 games.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Not counting the Montreal game, the Jets have played 5 games this month and let in one goal on the PK in those 5 games.

Which is not going to be sustainable if they continue to bleed shots and chances like they are. They have been helped massively by good goaltending (which every PK needs to, but not to this extent).

Also, why take out the Montreal game? Is it some kind of outlier?

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
The power play has not changed since they relocated from Atlanta. It was exactly the same under Noël. Was PMO secretly consulting them from afar? I believe this stems from Mr. Huddy.. Time for change here..

Correction.. Meant PK not PP.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad