Proposal: Multiple Oiler Trades for the playoffs

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
That deal does work in terms of cap. But do you see any incentive there for Buffalo to do this? Jones is a 7th defenseman, then you are sending two bad contracts for nothing of value. There's no prospect or pick in there that get's Buffalo excited. They are asking for a 1st for Hall alone. Now you're adding their young starter and dumping bad cap on them and sending them a lesser return. They are better off letting Hall walk for nothing than accepting that package.

I think Hutton would/should be the target. Sabres could role with Ullmark and Koskinen next year as their 1-2. Jones has shown signs of being a 4-6 d-man who is signed to a reasonable contract. As for picks/prospects, I mentioned some combination. Outside of the Oilers A prospects (Broberg, Holloway, Bouchard), there are some intriguing players in that B prospect range.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
If Getzlaf is up for trade I'm sure there will be a team stepping up with more to offer than a 2nd round pick two years from now

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
no thanks, ADA is not a cap dump.

Yes he is . Been offer for free and went unclaimed. GM won’t play him . Koskinen is at very least a good back up and a better team mate . Offer withdraw don’t need the POS on the Oilers . Took 2 of my morphine for pain so wasn’t thinking clearly . Nurse , Bear , Khaira and Jones would kill him .

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Yeah you're probably right. It's why the Rangers refuse to play him, won't send him to the AHL, and no teams are lining up for the opportunity to trade for him.

No, no I'm pretty sure the poster on hf boards knows more about the real story than the team that won't even assign him to the AHL.

This team doesn't need a cancer telling Ethan bear, jujhar khaira, Darnell nurse and Kailer Yamamoto how awesome Donald trump is and how Joe Biden stole the election.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
- I’d do the first one
- Getz isn’t leaving Cali
- the Bear trade sucks balls
- I’d also do this one, Drai and Gaudreau would be insane together

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
We are not trading Gaudreau to the Oilers. Get real.

If we did it would severely hurt your team, like Holloway and Broberg.

Personally I still think Gaudreau signs a long term deal in Calgary
Yea the chances of that is about the same as Tavares was going to re-sign with the Isle .
Could you imagine Gaudreau feeding the puck to McDavid? It would be pretty special. That being said we would want an A prospect in the deal for sure.
Would be the other way around as Gaudreau is constantly cherry picking

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think most Oiler fans recognize they need a top six LW, a 3C and an upgrade in goal (Koskinen). A 3-4 LHD would also be a great addition but are proving hard to get.

:edmonton

Linus Ullmark (G) pending UFA

:sabres

Mikko Koskinen (G)
2022 2nd round pick

As unbelievable as it may sound Koskinen would get to submit a 15 team no trade list and Buffalo would have to not be on it. Top dollars, term and a M-NTC. Just chew on that for a minute.

Ryan Getzlaf pending UFA

:ducks

2023 2nd round pick
Alex Chiasson

Purely a rental for the playoffs Getzlaf would be an ideal addition as a 3C in Edmonton. Getzlaf would have to waive. Chiasson is included for cap purposes to balance things out just until the end of the season. He is then a UFA. Getzlaf then returns to Anaheim for one more year and retires a Duck.

Erik Gustafsson (LHD) (50% retained) pending UFA

:flyers

Ethan Bear (RHD)

Nice addition to the 2nd pairing for the Oilers, Gustafsson can also play the right side depending on the situation.

This next one is the hardest.

Johnny Gaudreau (LW, one more year left at $6.75 Million)

:flames

Kyle Turris (cap dump)
Kris Russell (cap purposes)
2021 1st
2022 1st
Tyler Benson (B Prospect, tearing it up in the minors)
Add in Savoie and I think the Flames consider it.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Most of these are bad but Gustavsson for Bear is a deal that even Peter Chiarelli reacts to with a lol. Just awful.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The Bear deal is awful for the Oilers. I don't see the point of that deal, at all.
The Gaudreau deal is pretty shit for Calgary considering division rival tax and all that (they'd probably ask for Holloway+ which I'd have zero interest in) and I hate the fit of Gaudreau in Edmonton, don't need another soft playmaker. Koskinen isn't waiving for Buffalo.

I'd be interested in Derek Ryan. What do Flames fans want in return for him? 4th+?

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
This is not the year to go for it

I get where you're coming from with the way cap clears up moving forward, but when we have Drai and McDavid in their mid-twenties, I think we should go for it every year. Tired of waiting to be honest.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Hall fits with Drai. They've played together and had great chemistry. Run a top 6 of:

Nuge-McD-JP
Hall-Drai-Yamo

But I agree, Schwartz would be a great fit. He would also cost significantly more than Hall.
Nuge doesn't fit with Connor. He is soft, can't accelerate anymore, and is way to perimeter.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
None of these deals make any sense.
Buffalo has enough bad contracts. They're going to take a 2nd to give us a solid back-up and eat 5M cap space for 2 more seasons for us? Get real.
Getslaf may not be scoring as much as he used to, but he's sure as hell worth more than a second rounder plus a 4th line winger who can play on the PP.
2 firsts (assume they'd be late ones), a prospect whose offense likely won't convert in the NHL and 2 cap dumps for a first line winger?
What on earth...

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I get where you're coming from with the way cap clears up moving forward, but when we have Drai and McDavid in their mid-twenties, I think we should go for it every year. Tired of waiting to be honest.

Well things won't get any better for you.
With Klefbom healthy we've more or less got a blueline, but we still need to address goaltending and forwards. Lots of moves to be made till we're going to be taken as a serious contender.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
If Getzlaf is up for trade I'm sure there will be a team stepping up with more to offer than a 2nd round pick two years from now

That’s what I’m thinking. That offer is atrocious for someone’s team captain. One that is a seasoned playoff veteran and a Stanley cup champion. It’s almost insulting for our GM to bring up the trade discussion with Getzlaf and what is coming back.

“Hey Getzlaf!!! We traded you for a second round pick” enjoy your stay with Edmonton! Nope it shouldn’t work like that

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I think a 2nd is enough value. Koskinen isn't a terrible goalie if you play him 30ish games a year. The problem is he makes too much money to play 30 games a year.

This is a lot of words to say that he is a 4.5M backup.

Edmonton would have to retain some money to move Koskinen unless some team got really desperate

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
if he was a cancer and so bad, why did Rangers sign him to 4.8 mil last fall? Makes no sense, does it? Maybe there is a flaw in your theory?

And since then they
1) offered him league wide for free via waivers with no takers
2) told him he’s done with the organization (played his last game)
3) refused to assign him to the AHL squad (despite his request) also didn’t loan him to another AHL team that DeAngelo also requested for playing time
4) been in an altercation with Kreider and Geo
5) Gorton is even on record saying DeAngelo had broken his last straw. That sounds like a player who had issues and had been given chances no?

If NY could undo that contract signing its beyond obvious they would. There’s rumours out there he could be bought out in the off season. Your critical thinking skills need some work

Last edited:

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
And since then they
1) offered him league wide for free via waivers with no takers
2) told him he’s done with the organization (played his last game)
3) refused to assign him to the AHL squad (despite his request) also didn’t loan him to another AHL team that DeAngelo also requested for playing time
4) been in an altercation with Kreider and Geo
5) Gorton is even on record saying DeAngelo had broken his last straw. That sounds like a player who had issues and had been given chances no?

If NY could undo that contract signing its beyond obvious they would. There’s rumours out there he could be bought out in the off season. Your critical thinking skills need some work

bunch half truths and rumors

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
None of these deals make any sense.
Buffalo has enough bad contracts. They're going to take a 2nd to give us a solid back-up and eat 5M cap space for 2 more seasons for us? Get real.
Getslaf may not be scoring as much as he used to, but he's sure as hell worth more than a second rounder plus a 4th line winger who can play on the PP.
2 firsts (assume they'd be late ones), a prospect whose offense likely won't convert in the NHL and 2 cap dumps for a first line winger?
What on earth...

I have to disagree with you on a few of your points.

Ullmark is a pending UFA. I have heard Buffalo is trying to sign him but they run the risk of him walking for nothing at the end of the year. They'll need someone to play goal if he gets dealt. So ya it's a fair offer.

Getzlaf might not waive for Edmonton, this is a fact. However he is also a pending UFA and the Ducks could deal him and then sign him in the off season for a short one year contract, allowing him to retire in Anaheim. So they get a 2nd and only lose Getzlaf for a few weeks. Also, he is on the IR right now so this may all be moot anyway.

Gaudreau isn't happy in Calgary and looks to me to be run out of there by Sutter. He'll be dealt by the beginning of next season in my opinion. Does Calgary want him to be dealt to their provincial rivals? No, but if Holland makes the best offer they should take it. The two contracts are low in cap, cash, and term.

Take a look at things in this light. They are not as absurd as you try and make them sound. If you want to criticize something it is worth pointing out the Oilers are dealing a lot of picks for guys who are pending UFAs.

Of course, you can always post your own trade proposal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad