Proposal: Multiple Oiler Trades for the playoffs

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
What would you anticipate sending out? Keeping in mind you need 8 million in cap going out and Buffalo has held the line on wanting at least a 1st. If it's Neal I'm guessing they would want at least another 1st and 2nd attached to that for taking him. It's not as simple as just paying a 1st and getting Hall.

Buffalo is asking for a 1st but no one is biting. I don't see Hall getting that at full crack ($8 Million). Even at 50% retained I am not sure he gets a 1st.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Ill comp the others, no way Sabres takes Koskinen’s contract for just a second. And give Ullmark in the mix too, as he might net then a second on his own.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Honestly I think the Oilers should just run with what they’ve got. We might catch lightning in a bottle and get on a playoff run, but we are NOT true contenders and none of those deals will really change that. In a short time guys like Holloway, McLoed and Broberg might push us over the top, but keep the powder dry for now. And I wouldn’t offer a bucket of warm turds for Johnny HockeyTM.

I'm more or less of the same mindset. Holland should keep up with his short term low cap hit bets til guys like Holloway and broberg are ready.

The kryptonite to this team will be signing a guy like hall 7m for 6 years and he becomes a disaster like Neal, Lucic etc.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Buffalo is asking for a 1st but no one is biting. I don't see Hall getting that at full crack ($8 Million). Even at 50% retained I am not sure he gets a 1st.
50% would make it a lot easier to fit in, but you still have to send out 4M in cap, so Neal, Larsson or Russell. I'm guessing you have to add to the asking price if it's Neal for a certainty, possibly if it's Russell and Larsson you wouldn't need to add. I think the hole the Oilers can fill at the TDL this year is a strong faceoff man. Ryan or Glendening, I don't think they will do anything else.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I expect Barrie will run for a high pay day . DeAngelo has been sitting for a while , just maybe he learnt a good lesson . Base on DeAngelo current mess I would do a Koskinen for DeAngelo straight up . NYR can buy him out for the same deal as DeAngelo as he signed for 1 more year . He can also be left unprotected.

no thanks, ADA is not a cap dump.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
50% would make it a lot easier to fit in, but you still have to send out 4M in cap, so Neal, Larsson or Russell. I'm guessing you have to add to the asking price if it's Neal for a certainty, possibly if it's Russell and Larsson you wouldn't need to add. I think the hole the Oilers can fill at the TDL this year is a strong faceoff man. Ryan or Glendening, I don't think they will do anything else.

All indications are you're right.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB

The deal has Koskinen involved. For me, it would be something around:

Hall (50% retained) + Hutton/Ullmark for a Koskinen, Caleb Jones, Chiasson and a combination of picks (2-4) and/or a B level prospect.

Reactions: TFHockey

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Ryan Getzlaf pending UFA

2023 2nd round pick
Alex Chiasson

Purely a rental for the playoffs Getzlaf would be an ideal addition as a 3C in Edmonton. Getzlaf would have to waive. Chiasson is included for cap purposes to balance things out just until the end of the season. He is then a UFA. Getzlaf then returns to Anaheim for one more year and retires a Duck.

Murray indicated he wouldn't ask him to waive, would only do it if Getz requested it, and Getz stated he wanted to retire a 1 team player. I don't see him changing his mind and suddenly wanting to leave his family and sunny CA for a longshot playoff run in EDM

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
do your homework on it.
I don't have to do my homework on it, No sane GM is taking on ADA and his $4,800,000 cap hit for another season. His career is definitely done in New York some team might take a chance on him this summer once Gorton buys him out but it wont be for nowhere what he's making now.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I don't have to do my homework on it, No sane GM is taking on ADA and his $4,800,000 cap hit for another season. His career is definitely done in New York some team might take a chance on him this summer once Gorton buys him out but it wont be for nowhere what he's making now.

1. he is well worth the money
2. story and his issues were way overblown by some media and fans
3. pretty sure he learned his lesson

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
do your homework on it.

I think he pretty much summed up Tony DeAngelo. He is a locker room cancer. Has been labeled as that in juniors, then in Tampa, then again in Arizona, now again in New York. He was given 1 more opportunity and ended up getting into an altercation with Georgiev. Rangers state he's played his last game with the Rangers. He past through waivers without a sniff. DeAngelo begged to have the opportunity to play in the AHL. Rangers didn't want him and his personality around their young core in the AHL. No other team had any interest. There hasn't been a peep around anyone trading for him. It's expected that he'll be bought out of him contract in the offseason. So if he traded (let's be honest, he won't be) it'll either be for a cap dump, or with another asset to unload him.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think he pretty much summed up Tony DeAngelo. He is a locker room cancer. Has been labeled as that in juniors, then in Tampa, then again in Arizona, now again in New York. He was given 1 more opportunity and ended up getting into an altercation with Georgiev. Rangers state he's played his last game with the Rangers. He past through waivers without a sniff. DeAngelo begged to have the opportunity to play in the AHL. Rangers didn't want him and his personality around their young core in the AHL. No other team had any interest. There hasn't been a peep around anyone trading for him. It's expected that he'll be bought out of him contract in the offseason. So if he traded (let's be honest, he won't be) it'll either be for a cap dump, or with another asset to unload him.

if he was a cancer and so bad, why did Rangers sign him to 4.8 mil last fall? Makes no sense, does it? Maybe there is a flaw in your theory?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The deal has Koskinen involved. For me, it would be something around:

Hall (50% retained) + Hutton/Ullmark for a Koskinen, Caleb Jones, Chiasson and a combination of picks (2-4) and/or a B level prospect.
That deal does work in terms of cap. But do you see any incentive there for Buffalo to do this? Jones is a 7th defenseman, then you are sending two bad contracts for nothing of value. There's no prospect or pick in there that get's Buffalo excited. They are asking for a 1st for Hall alone. Now you're adding their young starter and dumping bad cap on them and sending them a lesser return. They are better off letting Hall walk for nothing than accepting that package.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
1. he is well worth the money
2. story and his issues were way overblown by some media and fans
3. pretty sure he learned his lesson
He didn't learn it any of the past times either. This was hardly the first incident. He also has questionable value on the ice. As good as he is offensively, he's even worse in his own end. This is a player who might get signed to a league minimum deal or receive a PTO after a buyout. No one is taking on that money.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
No not even close. What do you need Hertl for? To play the wing?
Been a fan of Hertl for years and I think he'd be a good finisher for either of McDrai.

Not even close? How far off and what would need to be added to a blue chip defenseman and 1st round pick?

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Been a fan of Hertl for years and I think he'd be a good finisher for either of McDrai.

Not even close? How far off and what would need to be added to a blue chip defenseman and 1st round pick?
You're asking for the Sharks top center. That's the value going forward.
Hertl is the last guy who ought to be traded. He's also doesn't fit the re-tool on the build on the run type of tradeable material.
I don't see a prospect that plays the back end being the main piece. It would have to be a top forward prospect. You know the one. Your first is no doubt going to be at the tail end so I'd say another + would be warranted.

Reactions: GOilers88

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
You're asking for the Sharks top center. That's the value going forward.
Hertl is the last guy who ought to be traded. He's doesn't also fit the re-tool on the run type of tradeable material.
I don't see a prospect that plays the back end being the main piece. It would have to be a top forward prospect. You know the one. Your first is no doubt going to be at the tail end so I'd say another + would be warranted.
That's fair. I also don't think San Jose should trade him either for reasons you stated.

I would do Holloway + 1st + as well, but that's just me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad