Proposal: Multiple Oiler Trades for the playoffs

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I have to disagree with you on a few of your points.

Ullmark is a pending UFA. I have heard Buffalo is trying to sign him but they run the risk of him walking for nothing at the end of the year. They'll need someone to play goal if he gets dealt. So ya it's a fair offer.

Getzlaf might not waive for Edmonton, this is a fact. However he is also a pending UFA and the Ducks could deal him and then sign him in the off season for a short one year contract, allowing him to retire in Anaheim. So they get a 2nd and only lose Getzlaf for a few weeks. Also, he is on the IR right now so this may all be moot anyway.

Gaudreau isn't happy in Calgary and looks to me to be run out of there by Sutter. He'll be dealt by the beginning of next season in my opinion. Does Calgary want him to be dealt to their provincial rivals? No, but if Holland makes the best offer they should take it. The two contracts are low in cap, cash, and term.

Take a look at things in this light. They are not as absurd as you try and make them sound. If you want to criticize something it is worth pointing out the Oilers are dealing a lot of picks for guys who are pending UFAs.

Of course, you can always post your own trade proposal.

Just that Buffalo wants something for their goalie doesn't mean that they want to take a toxic contract in return just to get a draft pick. This trade makes Buffalo worse now and the long term benefits are relatively small.

Doesn't matter if Getslaf is on the IR, is a pending UFA or whether or not he'd waive his NTC to come to Edmonton; he's worth a lot more than a 2nd and a 4th line winger with 1 year left on his contract. This trade wouldn't even pass in a video game.

Doesn't matter if Jonny wants to be traded or if Calgary wants to trade him; Calgary isn't going through a rebuild. They want to get better now, not worse. They're at least going to want a roster player in exchange. And don't bother saying Hopkins with pre-negotiated extension. He's not the type of player Calgary needs to take the next step forward.

There's no point in making Oiler trade proposals of any relevance right now because Edmonton isn't in a position to make any relevant trades.

In the off season they're likely to buy out one Neal and let one of Hopkins or Larsson walk and Edmonton will have a bit of cap space to sign a bottom 3 d-man and a middle 6 forward or two.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Just that Buffalo wants something for their goalie doesn't mean that they want to take a toxic contract in return just to get a draft pick. This trade makes Buffalo worse now and the long term benefits are relatively small.

Doesn't matter if Getslaf is on the IR, is a pending UFA or whether or not he'd waive his NTC to come to Edmonton; he's worth a lot more than a 2nd and a 4th line winger with 1 year left on his contract. This trade wouldn't even pass in a video game.

Doesn't matter if Jonny wants to be traded or if Calgary wants to trade him; Calgary isn't going through a rebuild. They want to get better now, not worse. They're at least going to want a roster player in exchange. And don't bother saying Hopkins with pre-negotiated extension. He's not the type of player Calgary needs to take the next step forward.

There's no point in making Oiler trade proposals of any relevance right now because Edmonton isn't in a position to make any relevant trades.

In the off season they're likely to buy out one Neal and let one of Hopkins or Larsson walk and Edmonton will have a bit of cap space to sign a bottom 3 d-man and a middle 6 forward or two.

Toxic contract? You must really hate Koskinen. Yikes.

You're exaggerating here. We disagree on his worth over a few weeks of hockey. That's all.

I am not sure what Calgary is going to do. I don't have a crystal ball. They need to improve the team and I *think* they'll move Gaudreau.

There is always a point in making trade proposals. It's literally the point of these boards. Does this crappy snowstorm got you down? Every time I look outside I find new and inventive swear words.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Toxic contract? You must really hate Koskinen. Yikes.

You're exaggerating here. We disagree on his worth over a few weeks of hockey. That's all.

I am not sure what Calgary is going to do. I don't have a crystal ball. They need to improve the team and I *think* they'll move Gaudreau.

There is always a point in making trade proposals. It's literally the point of these boards. Does this crappy snowstorm got you down? Every time I look outside I find new and inventive swear words.

I'm living in China. I haven't seen snow for months.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think most Oiler fans recognize they need a top six LW, a 3C and an upgrade in goal (Koskinen). A 3-4 LHD would also be a great addition but are proving hard to get.

:edmonton

Linus Ullmark (G) pending UFA

:sabres

Mikko Koskinen (G)
2022 2nd round pick

As unbelievable as it may sound Koskinen would get to submit a 15 team no trade list and Buffalo would have to not be on it. Top dollars, term and a M-NTC. Just chew on that for a minute.

Ryan Getzlaf pending UFA

:ducks

2023 2nd round pick
Alex Chiasson

Purely a rental for the playoffs Getzlaf would be an ideal addition as a 3C in Edmonton. Getzlaf would have to waive. Chiasson is included for cap purposes to balance things out just until the end of the season. He is then a UFA. Getzlaf then returns to Anaheim for one more year and retires a Duck.

Erik Gustafsson (LHD) (50% retained) pending UFA

:flyers

Ethan Bear (RHD)

Nice addition to the 2nd pairing for the Oilers, Gustafsson can also play the right side depending on the situation.

This next one is the hardest.

Johnny Gaudreau (LW, one more year left at $6.75 Million)

:flames

Kyle Turris (cap dump)
Kris Russell (cap purposes)
2021 1st
2022 1st
Tyler Benson (B Prospect, tearing it up in the minors)

I think the year for Edmonton to load up is next year, when they free up a ton of cap.

But I'll say I find these pretty impractical. Three of them don't work for the other team. Calgary isn't going for a nuclear rebuild, Anaheim wouldn't trade their captain for such a pittance (I'm not saying he's worth a 1st, I'm saying there's no way they trade him for less), and I don't see Buffalo willing to pay Koskinen for two more years beyond this, not for a 2nd. The Bear for Gustafsson trade is puzzling to me. Gustafsson is not your ideal playoff type D-man. He was shipped last year at this time for a 3rd rounder. Bear has to be worth more than that.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think the year for Edmonton to load up is next year, when they free up a ton of cap.

But I'll say I find these pretty impractical. Three of them don't work for the other team. Calgary isn't going for a nuclear rebuild, Anaheim wouldn't trade their captain for such a pittance (I'm not saying he's worth a 1st, I'm saying there's no way they trade him for less), and I don't see Buffalo willing to pay Koskinen for two more years beyond this, not for a 2nd. The Bear for Gustafsson trade is puzzling to me. Gustafsson is not your ideal playoff type D-man. He was shipped last year at this time for a 3rd rounder. Bear has to be worth more than that.

I kinda whiffed on the Bear trade. Mea culpa.

I wonder just what Calgary IS going to do. They're in that weird place where they aren't bad enough to get a really high pick and draft a young blossoming superstar and they aren't good enough to g0 anywhere. So you can't say one way or the other what they are going to do. Maybe they rebuild? I dunno.

To me Getzlaf isn't worth more than a 2nd. Not as a rental for a few weeks work. I get that he might not even waive for Edmonton. Totally get that.

If Buffalo can't sign Ullmark he walks in free agency at the end of the year. Elliott Friedman stated he heard the Sabres were definitely trying to sign him. Maybe they will. If not and he gets dealt they'll want a goalie coming back in the deal (I assume) so they have someone to play in net. They aren't going to get a better goalie than Ullmark in return. I figured this was a reasonable price to play for a rental.

There is a lot of hate for Koskinen on here. One guy called his contract "toxic". WTF? He has one more year at $4.5 Million and then he is UFA. That isn't a huge commitment for any team. I see him as more of a stop gap goalie while a team develops or trades for a long term solution in net. To me that exactly describes the Buffalo Sabres if they can't sign Ullmark.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Has Ethan Bear been that bad where it’s a hockey deal for Gus? If so, then okay. We will take him. Be warned - Gus is atrocious. Like, Robert Hagg (arguably one of the worst 5 Dmen in the league) has been given more chances than Gus.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Has Ethan Bear been that bad where it’s a hockey deal for Gus? If so, then okay. We will take him. Be warned - Gus is atrocious. Like, Robert Hagg (arguably one of the worst 5 Dmen in the league) has been given more chances than Gus.

Nah I kinda screwed that one. I was hoping for a decent 2nd pairing LHD. Even Flyer fans think I overpaid. fair enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00