Recalled/Assigned: Mueller Assigned to the 'Pack' 11/6

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I wouldn't call the Glass signing all that horrible. If he plays 60 games a year and fills his role there are far worse options out there.

Am I ecstatic with him on the ice, no. But he does fill a role and he is a much better player than the Colton Orr's, John Scott's, Donald Brashear's of the past.

Agreed. The funny thing is that I don't even like the player all that much.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I am still waiting for people to bring up / show some examples of Glass doing anything abhorrent which directly lead to a goal, or a loss.
You may not be able to point do something Glass does that results immediately in a goal, but that's doesn't mean he's not costing his team goals. Last season, for example, Glass linemates averaged getting 48.1% of all shot attempts without him on the ice, as opposed to 39.6% with him. That's 21% more play in the defensive zone, reasonably attributed to Glass. 21% more opportunities for a goal to be scored as a result of a mistake by Tanner Glass, a linemate, a soft goal, a bad bounce, a great play by the opposition etc.

The way he plays doesn't really lead to obvious "big" mistakes. Just little mistakes that lead to pucks being on the opposition's sticks a lot more often than usual.

Glass comes out of the lineup, who is there to drop the gloves when someone is trying to take Zuccarello's head off? or anyone for that matter.
No one. And Zuccarello's head will be exactly the same.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I am still waiting for people to bring up / show some examples of Glass doing anything abhorrent which directly lead to a goal, or a loss.

Beyond him being a good guy in the room, a lot of it comes down to this...

Glass comes out of the lineup, who is there to drop the gloves when someone is trying to take Zuccarello's head off? or anyone for that matter.

Not that he's a true enforcer, and that role is dwindling in the NHL, but Glass is the perfect mix of a player who can fight if he has too, and can also do the little things asked of him being on the 4th line with limited minutes.

At this point all you can do is ignore the **** about Glass--you're certainly not going to be changing anyone's opinion.

AHB*

Imagine that. Evaluating a player based on how he's performed in the past at the same level.

I actually came in with an open mind, hoping he'd impress me in the same way Carcillo did. Unfortunately, he's proven to be (shockingly....) the same exact player he has been for the past 400 games.

On top of that, it's hysterical to me that people are justifying his role on this team by saying "well, he's not John Scott or Donald Brashear!"

Is that really our bar of evaluation?

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
****, forgot this was the Mueller thread...:laugh:

457518610.0_standard_709.0.jpg

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I wouldn't call the Glass signing all that horrible. If he plays 60 games a year and fills his role there are far worse options out there.

Am I ecstatic with him on the ice, no. But he does fill a role and he is a much better player than the Colton Orr's, John Scott's, Donald Brashear's of the past.

His role isn't that valuable. That's my problem. His role is to check guys and fight. Cool. There are better ways to utilize your twelfth forward.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
His role isn't that valuable. That's my problem. His role is to check guys and fight. Cool. There are better ways to utilize your twelfth forward.

This is the best opinion in this thread, including some of my own.

And like I mentioned, maybe AV comes to the same conclusion eventually. Maybe he doesn't.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012

And like I mentioned, maybe AV comes to the same conclusion eventually. Maybe he doesn't.

Fairly certain that's been everyone's contention. Tanner Glass plays "his game", and knows "his role". It's just that his game is antiquated and his role is laughable for the defending Eastern conference champions in the highest level of professional hockey in 2014.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

I agree, and I tried to embrace Glass with an open mind as well, but all he has done is show why I didn't want him on the team. We can easily find another twelfth forward who can check and fight that isn't such a detriment to the team possessing the puck.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

It's literally the same **** we're all saying.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Fairly certain that's been everyone's contention. Tanner Glass plays "his game", and knows "his role". It's just that his game is antiquated and his role is laughable for the defending Eastern conference champions in the highest level of professional hockey in 2014.

Mostly, people say he's playing poorly. So, no, that's not everyone's contention.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
No, he can't . That's the problem.

Referring to playing a 4th line role.

no he does not play his role fine by any stretch of the imagination.

I mean I feel kind of bad for ragging on him but he's just not good out there

Glass has been as advertised, garbage. Both his stats and his play when watched has only further continued to prove that.

I just take exception to the "he's done his job" comments from some. We've really lowered the standards if he's done his job

I do tend to agree with this, but the fact that he was clearly outplayed by Mueller and he is the one being dumped to keep Glass on the roster is beyond me.

And Glass is awful.

Neither of them have contributed much, or anything at all.

dude is straight up garbage

He is being exposed and we are only in November.

Also for people using Glass' penalty killing, he's been a pretty garbage PK player as well.

And you're saying that people are just unhappy his role exists on the team?

It's literally the same **** we're all saying.

That took me 3 minutes.

And with that, this has gone on long enough. I think he's doing fine and I accept that his role can have some value outside of possession, which really couldn't matter less for him. You guys think either he's playing poorly, his role is pointless, or both. The guy plays 7 ES minutes per night. The extra minute we might spend in the defensive zone aggregated over a whole game because of his deficiencies aren't worth this much argument.

And this in a Mueller thread. It's my fault and I apologize to the mods. I'm ready to drop it.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
He's a bad 4th line player, by any metric. We all agreed his role was to throw punches and checks, and he's capable of doing those things. That's what 2k2 said as well, and you seemed to find his line of reasoning agreeable.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
You may not be able to point do something Glass does that results immediately in a goal, but that's doesn't mean he's not costing his team goals. Last season, for example, Glass linemates averaged getting 48.1% of all shot attempts without him on the ice, as opposed to 39.6% with him. That's 21% more play in the defensive zone, reasonably attributed to Glass. 21% more opportunities for a goal to be scored as a result of a mistake by Tanner Glass, a linemate, a soft goal, a bad bounce, a great play by the opposition etc.

The way he plays doesn't really lead to obvious "big" mistakes. Just little mistakes that lead to pucks being on the opposition's sticks a lot more often than usual.

No one. And Zuccarello's head will be exactly the same.

What I'd be interested in is seeing zone start adjusted SA/60 and SF/60.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This is a good opinion. On par with some of my lesser opinions.

As far as I'm concerned, a big problem we have in our society right now is that most people consider their opinions to be the equal of all other opinions.

It's just flat out not true. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but that doesn't give them all equal weight.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
What I'd be interested in is seeing zone start adjusted SA/60 and SF/60.
Last season, adjusted for zone starts, Pittsburgh had 33.3% of goals and 41.9% of unblocked shot attempts at 5-on-5.

edit: that's with Glass on the ice, obvs

Last edited:

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
As far as I'm concerned, a big problem we have in our society right now is that most people consider their opinions to be the equal of all other opinions.

It's just flat out not true. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but that doesn't give them all equal weight.

This is getting pretty sad.

You're just spouting nonsense at this point man.

You're better than this.

RangersOwnNewYork*

If Glass is as bad as some of you guys say then how the hell has he played 400 nhl games? How did he manage to play for a contender like Pitt last year? How did he get signed to a 3 year deal for 1.4 mil per by the rangers who are also a contender? Again, if he was such hot garbage like so many proclaim shouldn't he have been in the AHL a long time ago? I just don't get it. If this guy is so awful, why does a real good coach like AV want him on his team? For the record I don't think he is very good myself but obviously guys who know hockey like AV think he can play. One more question. Is this debate about Glass going to continue all year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad