Proposal: MTL-TML

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Both these players return 1st round picks should they stay healthy and produce big minutes, good face offs, and some points.

Both have great leadership to the right team but I think both are more valuable to Montreal at this point.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
In long playoffs you need to be able to roll four lines. The 3&4 lines need to be able to shut down at least one of opponents top lines. it's big deal if you can stud down top line of good team. Leafs need depth. Killed them in past. Monahan answers good portion of that. Toronto weak on bottom 6.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I'd be very interested in Monahan but most definitely not at that price.

The OP is obviously not indicative of how the majority of level headed Habs fans think. Similar to the Leafs, when you have a large fanbase, the fringe minority of lunatics are plentiful.

What about Adam Henrique instead of Monahan? The acquisition cost should be less and not sure about Torontos cap sutuation but with Toronto's LTIR, his salary shouldn't be prohibitive.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
So I assume we'll start to see the Gallagher for Cowen + 2024 1st + Knies proposals pretty soon.
you forgot gallagher is signed long term. so you also have the cost certainity. so better add a few assets or improve the quality.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: McJedi

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
By that logic, we should give up on NYR fans in general just because bernmeister exist?

Generalizing a whole fanbase, in 2023, just because you listen to a couple of bad apples is certainly a choice. And not a good one.
Ironically you could argue they are the ones trolling.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
You ain't going to get no better trade
Two first for a D man nobody wants and a guy who can’t stay healthy either. Savard is an overpaid third pairing D. Monahan is a feel good story but constantly hurt and with the double hip surgery I wouldn’t count on him.

Next you’ll tell me Anderson 20 goal 40-50 point guy and is worth a first and a second…, meanwhile he has hit 20 goals plus twice in his 10 year career and broken 40 points once. Peddle your garbage somewhere else.

Last edited:

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
How has this thread stayed open this long? I’ve seen better proposals get locked up almost immediately.

Savard has already returned a first in past so his value has already been established.
This is the same argument Bern made as to why Kravtsov should be worth a top 10 pick. Just because a player was picked with a top 10 pick or traded for a first rounder does not mean that is their value, especially when we are a few years removed from that pick/trade.

Players values can change for better or for worse. Savard’s has gotten worse.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
By that logic, we should give up on NYR fans in general just because bernmeister exist?

Generalizing a whole fanbase, in 2023, just because you listen to a couple of bad apples is certainly a choice. And not a good one.
Unfortanately with a large fan base there is more than a couple. However, the block feature limits such insanity from reoccurring.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
What about Adam Henrique instead of Monahan? The acquisition cost should be less and not sure about Torontos cap sutuation but with Toronto's LTIR, his salary shouldn't be prohibitive.
I like to hear from Toronto fans on this one. Once they see Henrique 6 million caphit. Lol.

Shows the value of Monahan.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I like to hear from Toronto fans on this one. Once they see Henrique 6 million caphit. Lol.

Shows the value of Monahan.

Monahan has no value to teams if he can’t stay healthy after he’s traded. But then there are other issues that have been raised.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I understand that no Toronto fan would not consider this trade.
But I think Toronto absolutly needs to be all in, 1st or prospect like Cowan are worthless if you keep wasting prime years of Matthew, Tavares, Marner, Nylander who will need to be resign...

Savard might not be the guy toronto fan want but he is exactly the type of player Tornoto needs, actually they might need 2. Toronto might not need Manahan but he isn't worthless.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
But I think Toronto absolutly needs to be all in, 1st or prospect like Cowan are worthless if you keep wasting prime years of Matthew, Tavares, Marner, Nylander who will need to be resign...

Savard might not be the guy toronto fan want but he is exactly the type of player Tornoto needs, actually they might need 2. Toronto might not need Manahan but he isn't worthless.
All in doesn’t mean making bad trades just because

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Toronto may not sell hard at deadline. Teams around them did previous years. But Boston, Tampa, Florida don't have much future left to sell.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Monahan is 50 point, face off artist. Good fit on Toronto's 3rd line. Worth a first everyday of week. Savard has already returned a first in past so his value has already been established.

Savard got a 1st in a highly specific situation -- no term left, 75% retention, 30 years old, to a team that were cup favourites, had no cap space and very light on the right side of their D.

At the deadline this year, a team has to have $3.5m in cap space both this year and next to take on his salary; which will shut out a lot of teams -- and specifically some of the best teams who are most willing to part with their first. Alternatively, somebody would have to be willing to retain salary beyond this year, as well as give up a retention slot for over a year. He's also a fair bit older now, so likely approach with a bit of caution for a team right in their contending window.

With respect to Monahan, at $2m he's certainly a lot more digestable than the $6m or so from last year, but I don't think he's all that attractive to Toronto. Him & Max Domi seem to do much of the same thing, and I think the Leafs, if they're going to invest assets on another forward, will do so targetting more of a 2-way guy that can be better defensively than Domi, and better offensively than Kampf.

With Bertuzzi, Knies, Domi, Robertson, Jarnkrok, Kampf; you probably don't need more than 1 substantial addition up front. If going for a 2nd, I'd imagine that a physical winger would be the ticket.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluenotes27

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
OP's offer is horrid but David Savard would be of interest to the Leafs for a fair deal. I don't care for Monahan

David Savard (@50% retained).....whats the cost there?

Also can habs fans explain why David Savard's physicality has decreased? By physicality i mean his body checks and hits. Is it injuries?

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Monahan is healthy as a horse.
1702863136583.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad