Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Sebastian Aho signs an offer sheet with the Canadiens (5 years, $8.454M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
No buddy, it's the front loaded 21m signing bonus. It's gonna hurt...a lot
Yup, that is why there was that tweet a few weeks ago about teams worrying about offersheeting Marner because the leafs would then have a ton of cap space and financial abilities most other teams dont have. The front loaded signing bonuses will really hurt small market teams

Reactions: yababy

cakeschmammert

Jun 28, 2019
St. Louis, MO
Does this mean the Habs are out on Lee? All their money is tied up on this offer sheet, and it sounds like Canes can take as long as they'd like to match it.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Dundon is a billionaire

Can you google? Or do you just regurgitate every rumor you see?

Also, the point wouldn't be to necessarily get Kotkaniemi. It would be to put the screws to the Habs, basically exactly what is happening to us.

I know how to google, I see he wasted $400m on a team in a small market and lost almost $100m on failed football venture. He doesn’t seem to be very intelligent despite his wealth.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I get the idea that 8.454 is only 1 first rounder but does montreal really think that is enough to stop Carolina(yes I know it's front loaded). They would have been smart upping it to like 9M and making Carolina think a bit more is Aho worth 2 firsts

It doesn't hurt them to take this gamble though. They probably don't want to give up two straight unprotected 1st round picks and this is predatory in nature with MTL knowing Carolina has made budget conscious choices in the past.

This is a very smart move by Montreal. There's nothing Carolina can do to retaliate in terms of offer sheets because Montreal has enough cap flexibility to match anything offered to Domi or eventually Kotkaniemi and front loading an offer sheet won't hurt Montreal.

Two of the last three offer sheets we saw (Aho, Weber) had big money teams trying to out muscle budget teams using signing bonuses. There needs to be a point of leverage for an offer sheet to have a chance to be successful. The team either needs to be up against the cap like Toronto (or formerly Chicago), or they need to have financial limitations that can be exploited.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
9.5 to 10 would have been much more interesting, sounds like Habs are doing Carolina a favor getting him to sign a 5 year offer sheet at such a reasonable number.

The AAV might be reasonable but the pay structure and the term definitely isn't for the Canes. It could actually be a huge problem for them.

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Dundon is a billionaire

Can you google? Or do you just regurgitate every rumor you see?

Also, the point wouldn't be to necessarily get Kotkaniemi. It would be to put the screws to the Habs, basically exactly what is happening to us.

Yeah, I mean, a lot has to happen. Habs have to let Kotkaniemi go to July without a contract and he has to be willing to sign elsewhere. Aho obviously was willing to sign elsewhere so he could be walked to UFA at 26. If Canes offersheet Kotkaniemi, that would be awesome. It's good for the sport. These 31 teams aren't working together, they're rivals. Carolina should be out trying to make themselves better at other team's expense.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Why are people acting like Montreal is now handcuffed until Carolina matches? Add in Aho and the Habs still have 3m in cap space, plus they can exceed the cap by 10% in the offseason. Plenty of wiggle room.

It does seem rather obvious that Carolina will match, though. It's not like Carolina can do anything petty to Montreal though, what could they possibly do for payback? Sign Lehkonen or Armia? go ahead

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think they’re happy because it’ll almost assuredly be matched and it’s a good contract, but the owner who is looking at a net loss next season having to pay 21.8M real money in the first year alone may not be as happy.

...Not to mention, giving that much SB during a work stoppage season.l

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Why are people acting like Montreal is now handcuffed until Carolina matches? Add in Aho and the Habs still have 3m in cap space, plus they can exceed the cap by 10% in the offseason. Plenty of wiggle room.

It does seem rather obvious that Carolina will match, though. It's not like Carolina can do anything petty to Montreal though, what could they possibly do for payback? Sign Lehkonen or Armia? go ahead
How will they sign Anders Lee with 3MM :(

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Like Waddell said, it's the term that's annoying. Carolina will match but this walks the player to UFA at 26. Carolina was going to push for 8 years, no doubt. Aho signing this tells me he really wanted to be UFA at 26, obviously thinks he'll get a lot more.

And the 21.8 Million dollars in the next 12 Months!!!!!!!

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
No, they don’t. But there would have to be a leak in info. Which would only come from the team. Which would be penalized according to the CBA.

Bobby Mac just literally said that just because this is the only one reported recently, people should’nt assume this has been the only one offered recently.

Is this real life? The leak could come from anywhere, it could come from the player's agent, from his grandmother. You can't fine a team for that. Do you have any idea how journalism works?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think it's VERY safe to say that the vast majority of RFAs will get far far less than 8.45 million per year.

I'm really referring to the group of top guys like off the top of my head Point, Tkachuk, and Rantanen. The guys who people were waiting for a shoe to drop on. This is the shoe that dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia