Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Sebastian Aho signs an offer sheet with the Canadiens (5 years, $8.454M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
It only does so if nobody steps up and signs Marner to an offer sheet. That goes for every RFA.

This contract does set the market nicely for most teams with RFAs though. With where the cap is projected to go and how player demands have changed, having the first big RFA be Aho setting the market at about 5 x 8.45 is a pretty solid anchor.

Now there's a range to anchor offers against from 8.45 (Aho)-11.65 (Matthews). Most RFAs will be closer to Aho than Matthews. Some will be below Aho.
I think it's VERY safe to say that the vast majority of RFAs will get far far less than 8.45 million per year.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
This isn't about the AAV, it's about the signing bonuses. This contract is a huge problem for the Canes. I'm sure they will match it, but man oh man, Bergevin just gave the middle finger to every small market team.

This, it comes down to the owner. He won't be happy.

This is basically hockey meets texas no limit holdem.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
It only prevents them from doing offer sheets.

teams are operating with a 10% cap cushion.

But Montreal has to assume on his cap hit until Carolina matches. If they do sign someone else and go over the cap and then Carolina doesn't match (can't see why they wouldn't), then they'll be caught having to make a dump move which no GM really wants to do.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
This isn't about the AAV, it's about the signing bonuses. This contract is a huge problem for the Canes. I'm sure they will match it, but man oh man, Bergevin just gave the middle finger to every small market team.

Good. f*** small market teams.

Too bad we couldn't get it done Aho, but see you in 5 years in free agency

Reactions: JJ68

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
This actually helps Carolina's ownership in that they could point to being committed to "winning" and be able to raise ticket/concession prices without feeling slimy.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
The key thing here isn't the SB money. In year 1 they'll pay him $12m according to the offer sheet terms. Had they signed him outright, most people are saying $7.5-$8.0 over 8 years. So the net difference Dundon has to come up with is only about $4million year one, less in later years, right? Seems a non-issue, as they were planning on keeping (and paying Aho anyway). Biggest negative is the 5-year term. And who knows where ANY of us are going to be in 5 years?

Waddell saying, "I'm surprised it wasn't more" is basically him admitting that Aho is worth more than what they were offering him.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
lols how pissed off are canes fans right now?
I think they’re happy because it’ll almost assuredly be matched and it’s a good contract, but the owner who is looking at a net loss next season having to pay 21.8M real money in the first year alone may not be as happy.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Your franchise doesn’t have the funds to throw around offersheets.
Dundon is a billionaire

Can you google? Or do you just regurgitate every rumor you see?

Also, the point wouldn't be to necessarily get Kotkaniemi. It would be to put the screws to the Habs, basically exactly what is happening to us.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Waddell is a moron. Sure, match the offer right now. Pretty sure Bergevin has an other offer to Brayden Point ready.

We just kind of stabbed them in the back. I wouldn’t think their in the mood to help us out right now. I’d wait the full week if a team did that to us. I think it’s why you rarely see offersheets like this. We’re strapped for a week during the biggest signing season and it’s for an offersheet they’ll very likely match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad