Confirmed Trade: [MTL/NSH] P.K. Subban for Shea Weber - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If he's riding the bus in the "A", Montreal still has about $6.5M of cap hit on their books (I believe they only receive "relief" of the league minimum salary +$425K).

The Preds must REALLY beleive that Weber is going to play out his contract, because the cap recovery hits are MAMMOTH given how front loaded the contract was, and with trading him they don't get any "credit" for the years where the cash paid is less than the cap hit. Will be really interesting to see how that shakes out long term.

Ok thanks. Really don't think the Habs have to worry about a useless Weber taking up 7.8 of the cap. Nashville still does.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I am greatly saddened by the trade. Subban was my favourite Habs player and I truly thought only an idiot would trade such a charismatic, generous, and fantastic player.

Sigh...

So, first things first:

1--I was wrong when I said Subban was unavailable. I posted that in many threads leading up to and following the draft. I truly believed he would not be traded, but I was wrong.

2--I still think Subban is a top 5 defenceman in this league. I do not care what jersey he wears, he is a 27 year old Norris winning and multi-Norris nominated defender. He is awesome offensively, and is very good defensively. The Predators are getting an astounding talent and anyone trying to diminish Subban in any way from any fan base just does not know anything about hockey. Preds fans will fall in love with him so fast that it will stun them all.

3--Weber is still an elite #1 defenceman in the NHL. He is a solid player who will bolster Montreal's defence and will protect Carey Price. He will clear the front of the net and keep Price as safe as possible. He is also a terrific point producing player and brings some amazing leadership qualities with him to our team. Montreal fans should wait to see him on the ice and will understand how good he actually is.

4--We lose the trade. Period. Weber is 3.5 years older than Suban, and will slow down sooner than Subban will. There is no shame in admitting that we lost this deal, overall. However, it does not mean we are not still contenders. Weber will help us to contend over the next 3-4 years, as long as Price stays healthy. Losing Subban hurts, but Weber will still be awesome enough to help our team to go far as long as Price remains healthy. Of course, that might be what Bergevin is banking on Weber ensuring with his physical presence around the net. I do not like this trade for the Habs. I do like Weber, though, and he is not the hot garbage some people have tried to portray him as since he was traded.

5--This trade simply solidifies my belief that Bergevin and Therrien are incompetents and, quite possibly, racists. DSP and Subban gone within months of each other. Why? I know that shills like Marinaro and Nilan are going to trot out all of the supposed problems in the locker room, but the players themselves never seemed to indicate any such problems. As Pacioretty pointed out, the only way to eliminate those BS rumours would be for Subban and Him to make out in public. Every time I hear "Subban was too much like an NBA or NFL guy" to be in the NHL it screams "racist" in every language. Subban was too flamboyant, too NBA, too individual, etc, etc... Another way of saying "too black". I have lived 48 years on this planet, and come from a biracial home. I have lived through all of the polite catch phrases that all add up to the same thing: "racism". I do not care if he IS flamboyant, has his own sense of style, promotes himself, or goes to parties with public figures and posts photos about it. This lie about him being selfish or not about the "team" is proven every single time he steps on the ice. He has put it out there every single game throughout his entire Habs' tenure. People in the media started using the term "Planet P. K." as a way to try and soften the blow when that imbecile Bergevin decided he was going to trade him. It was a marketing technique used to try and get the fans on board with moving Subban. It is a shame that it has worked with some people.

6--Bergevin and Therrien need to be fired. Molson needs to grow a pair and do the right thing: hire the best GM and Coach available without any regard for language or nationality. If this organization wants a return to the days of winning Stanley Cups, we need to be able to have a guy like Stanley Cup Champion at every level Larry Robinson coaching our players in place of a nothing like J. J. Daigneault. When Bergevin hired Daigneault over Robinson I knew there was a problem, but had hopes it would be a minor one. Seeing Bergevin trade Subban in order to keep his "foxhole" buddy happy makes me sick. Bergevin and Therrien are failures and will not help our team win. Anything our team does will be in spite of them, not because of them.

Outstanding post :handclap:

PancakeHero

May 13, 2013
Pawnee
An utterly brutal trade from a CAP hit and term alone.

Montreal just went to the top of the list for Worst Management in the NHL. Good for PK Subban though.

kovalev47

Mar 6, 2007
This is not a good deal for Montreal at all. I think the biggest impact will be seen offensively. Subban was expected to do everything for the Habs. He was expected to produce offense and defense. It is like in business, when you are working in a startup, and wearing multiple hats and then questioned why you are not productive. The expectations and pressure on Subban were unrealistic.

Some people claim that Subban made a lot of errors. He was forced to make risky moves since nobody else on this team could score. Losing Eller and Subban makes this team weaker offensively. I've said it before and I still stand by it, that Subban was the Hab's MVP.

Adding Shaw and Weber will increase the team's physical play for sure. However, the main problem will still be the breakouts and scoring.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The only good that will come of this is the biased eastern and Canadian media will finally see how good Shea Weber really is and he will finally win at least one Norris.

Also I don't think Subban is going to like playing here. Not because of the team or city but he likes attention and the hockey media ignores anything Nashville related.

Last edited:

Drydenwasthebest

Jun 16, 2009
Outstanding post :handclap:

Thank you very much.

I am disappointed, but there is still light at the end of the tunnel. If Bergevin does manage to get a top 6 winger for our team in free agency, I see us being a contender...as long as Price stays healthy, I see us being a contender. Here is hoping that idiot GM somehow grows a brain in the next 24 hours.

Sigh...

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The only good that will come of this is the biased eastern and Canadian media will finally see how good Shea Weber really is and he will finally win at least one Norris.

Also I don't think Subban is going to like playing here. Not because of the team or city but he likes attention and the hockey media ignores anything Nashville related.

Maybe it will be good for him (Subban). It will certainly pain him to be ignored in NSH.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

You do realize that this attitude has created in you a western bias, right? That argument could have been used the year Weber lost to Karlsson, but that was a while ago and it's really the only time it would have potentially been a legitimate complaint, though it's not like the Sens are some media darling team either.

Also, the Subban trade has eclipsed the covered of Pat Summit dying, so I'd say he will get plenty of attention if he and the Preds do well and will get relatively little attention if not. That could very well be better for him.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I will say this....If Carey can stay healthy, Weber + Price = Playoffs in my opinion. Nobody is happier about Weber than Price.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
This week's trades just reiterates the fact that, despite all the "no way, not even close to the value you'd need to get that deal done" reactions that trade proposals get from fans or "that would never happen", the reality is that bad deals can and do get done all the time, and nothing is really out of the question.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
An utterly brutal trade from a CAP hit and term alone.

Montreal just went to the top of the list for Worst Management in the NHL. Good for PK Subban though.

Cap hit is 7.5 vs. 9. Term is a little trickier, but basically MTL can buy Weber out after 4 years, with no cap hit.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I don't think the Preds are quite as small of a market locally anymore as some of you guys still seem to think.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Screen_Shot_2016-06-29_at_5.20.33_PM.0.png

we all know how this is gonna end... LTIR... We'll see a sudden Chris Pronger's move. A NHL HHOF, a NHL's department of player safety personnel and Arizona Coyote 2nd most paid defenseman... talk about a multitasker here, expect the same from Weber!!!

just to make sure that I understand that chart correctly.. if he retires at 40 NAS is being hit with a 24M cap penalty?? if it's the case WHY?????

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Screen_Shot_2016-06-29_at_5.20.33_PM.0.png

we all know how this is gonna end... LTIR... We'll see a sudden Chris Pronger's move. A NHL HHOF, a NHL's department of player safety personnel and Arizona Coyote 2nd most paid defenseman... talk about a multitasker here, expect the same from Weber!!!

just to make sure that I understand that chart correctly.. if he retires at 40 NAS is being hit with a 24M cap penalty?? if it's the case WHY?????

Because Philly thought (incorrectly) that we weren't financial stable enough to match that ridiculous OS.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I am greatly saddened by the trade. Subban was my favourite Habs player and I truly thought only an idiot would trade such a charismatic, generous, and fantastic player.

Sigh...

So, first things first:

1--I was wrong when I said Subban was unavailable. I posted that in many threads leading up to and following the draft. I truly believed he would not be traded, but I was wrong.

2--I still think Subban is a top 5 defenceman in this league. I do not care what jersey he wears, he is a 27 year old Norris winning and multi-Norris nominated defender. He is awesome offensively, and is very good defensively. The Predators are getting an astounding talent and anyone trying to diminish Subban in any way from any fan base just does not know anything about hockey. Preds fans will fall in love with him so fast that it will stun them all.

3--Weber is still an elite #1 defenceman in the NHL. He is a solid player who will bolster Montreal's defence and will protect Carey Price. He will clear the front of the net and keep Price as safe as possible. He is also a terrific point producing player and brings some amazing leadership qualities with him to our team. Montreal fans should wait to see him on the ice and will understand how good he actually is.

4--We lose the trade. Period. Weber is 3.5 years older than Suban, and will slow down sooner than Subban will. There is no shame in admitting that we lost this deal, overall. However, it does not mean we are not still contenders. Weber will help us to contend over the next 3-4 years, as long as Price stays healthy. Losing Subban hurts, but Weber will still be awesome enough to help our team to go far as long as Price remains healthy. Of course, that might be what Bergevin is banking on Weber ensuring with his physical presence around the net. I do not like this trade for the Habs. I do like Weber, though, and he is not the hot garbage some people have tried to portray him as since he was traded.

5--This trade simply solidifies my belief that Bergevin and Therrien are incompetents and, quite possibly, racists. DSP and Subban gone within months of each other. Why? I know that shills like Marinaro and Nilan are going to trot out all of the supposed problems in the locker room, but the players themselves never seemed to indicate any such problems. As Pacioretty pointed out, the only way to eliminate those BS rumours would be for Subban and Him to make out in public. Every time I hear "Subban was too much like an NBA or NFL guy" to be in the NHL it screams "racist" in every language. Subban was too flamboyant, too NBA, too individual, etc, etc... Another way of saying "too black". I have lived 48 years on this planet, and come from a biracial home. I have lived through all of the polite catch phrases that all add up to the same thing: "racism". I do not care if he IS flamboyant, has his own sense of style, promotes himself, or goes to parties with public figures and posts photos about it. This lie about him being selfish or not about the "team" is proven every single time he steps on the ice. He has put it out there every single game throughout his entire Habs' tenure. People in the media started using the term "Planet P. K." as a way to try and soften the blow when that imbecile Bergevin decided he was going to trade him. It was a marketing technique used to try and get the fans on board with moving Subban. It is a shame that it has worked with some people.

6--Bergevin and Therrien need to be fired. Molson needs to grow a pair and do the right thing: hire the best GM and Coach available without any regard for language or nationality. If this organization wants a return to the days of winning Stanley Cups, we need to be able to have a guy like Stanley Cup Champion at every level Larry Robinson coaching our players in place of a nothing like J. J. Daigneault. When Bergevin hired Daigneault over Robinson I knew there was a problem, but had hopes it would be a minor one. Seeing Bergevin trade Subban in order to keep his "foxhole" buddy happy makes me sick. Bergevin and Therrien are failures and will not help our team win. Anything our team does will be in spite of them, not because of them.

Great post :handclap:

TSN's James Duthie on Toronto’s TSN 1050 this morning:

“Just because I’ve been hearing for the last year there was something terribly amiss in that dressing room, and that for whatever reason, they seem to blame P.K. for it,†said Duthie.

“I said on Montreal radio – I think in March – that I thought there was a good chance P.K. would be traded and everybody thought I was crazy at that point in time. I’m not getting the ‘I told you so’ because you’re right, I still thought, ‘Why would they do this?’

“But I think that’s the most fascinating thing that happened yesterday. It’s an interesting hockey trade, but it’s so much more than that because it’s not a hockey trade. They did not trade P.K. Subban because they wanted Shea Weber. They traded P.K. Subban because they wanted to trade P.K. Subban and get rid of P.K. Subban.

“And I cannot remember in all of my time covering this sport a bigger difference between public perception of someone – and a lot of other people in hockey – and a franchise, an organization’s perception of a player. And it’s baffling to me.

“And think that it is – there’s a real cultural thing here. And I mean more hockey cultural than anything else. That they could not handle what he was. The larger than life personality. The clothes. The social media stuff.

“To me, that’s lunacy. Because as long as a guy shows up and works hard, which P.K. does, and plays hard, I can’t see why there’s a problem.

“But hockey culture is still so back-asswards that people – and I don’t think it’s just Bergevin and Therrien, but even some of the players – they can’t deal with that kind of guy who has so much energy and so much personality. And maybe it’s jealousy. Maybe it’s just them feeling him sucking up too much energy in the room. I don’t know because I’m not in the room.

“But I just feel that’s the root of this thing, and it’s craziness to me.â€

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nichols-notes/suthie-canadiens-subban-could-not-handle-what-he-was/

Something seems wrong with Montreal management. I think Duthie makes a really good point in that you don't make this trade unless you want PK gone. And if that is the case you really have to question the impartial evaluation of players by Montreal staff. Although this should come as no surprise when they hire someone like JJ Daneault over Larry freaking Robinson.

Opeth

Jun 27, 2007
Montreal does things the Montreal way. If you step out of line like calling out the organization for not doing something more when Price went down, well, they don't really like that. PK poked the bear when too many times last year when the chips were down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad