Confirmed Trade: [MTL/NSH] P.K. Subban for Shea Weber - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Montreal will be back in the playoffs next season because of Weber but to go very far they still need a few additions up front and they need Price to stay healthy.
I read one blog where the writer said "if the players didn't like PK then get rid of the players" LOL. That's tough to do if most of the players didn't like him. Although that's just rumor, where there's smoke there's fire.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Montreal will be back in the playoffs next season because of Weber but to go very far they still need a few additions up front and they need Price to stay healthy.
I read one blog where the writer said "if the players didn't like PK then get rid of the players" LOL. That's tough to do if most of the players didn't like him. Although that's just rumor, where there's smoke there's fire.

Sounds like the E Kane situation where all the Jets players were a bunch of doo doo heads.

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
Cam Fowler and Brooks Orpik also made an Olympic team over Keith Yandle.

Cam Fowler and Brooks Orpik didn't lead possibly the greatest defensive team ever assembled in ice time (Weber, 2014 Olympics). He isn't there by some fluke.

I never realized how underrated Shea Weber was until yesterday, no wonder he has never won a norris.

as a neutral fan, I just do not understand this trade.

if PK and SW were the same age, okay. as is i think Montreal just set their franchise backwards?

I dunno?

If they were the same age the Preds would never make this trade, Subban hasn't reached Weber's level yet

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
Weber's contract has no NMC or NTC clause attached, correct? If his play deteriorated so much towards the end of his career could he be forced to ride the bus in the "A"?

He doesn't have either of those clauses. Additionally he only makes 1 million dollars the last 3 years of his deal. Which would be a joke salary at that point

The thought from the day he signed it would be that he'd retire before the deal expired. And it's the Preds who take the hit for that, if (when) it happens

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Cam Fowler and Brooks Orpik didn't lead possibly the greatest defensive team ever assembled in ice time (Weber, 2014 Olympics). He isn't there by some fluke.

I never realized how underrated Shea Weber was until yesterday, no wonder he has never won a norris.

If they were the same age the Preds would never make this trade, Subban hasn't reached Weber's level yet
My point is roster decisions for the Olympic team don't mean a lot, not to mention that was over two years ago. At this point in time Subban is a top-5 defenseman, and more dynamic than any other except Karlsson.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
TSN's James Duthie on Toronto’s TSN 1050 this morning:

“Just because I’ve been hearing for the last year there was something terribly amiss in that dressing room, and that for whatever reason, they seem to blame P.K. for it,†said Duthie.

“I said on Montreal radio – I think in March – that I thought there was a good chance P.K. would be traded and everybody thought I was crazy at that point in time. I’m not getting the ‘I told you so’ because you’re right, I still thought, ‘Why would they do this?’

“But I think that’s the most fascinating thing that happened yesterday. It’s an interesting hockey trade, but it’s so much more than that because it’s not a hockey trade. They did not trade P.K. Subban because they wanted Shea Weber. They traded P.K. Subban because they wanted to trade P.K. Subban and get rid of P.K. Subban.

“And I cannot remember in all of my time covering this sport a bigger difference between public perception of someone – and a lot of other people in hockey – and a franchise, an organization’s perception of a player. And it’s baffling to me.

“And think that it is – there’s a real cultural thing here. And I mean more hockey cultural than anything else. That they could not handle what he was. The larger than life personality. The clothes. The social media stuff.

“To me, that’s lunacy. Because as long as a guy shows up and works hard, which P.K. does, and plays hard, I can’t see why there’s a problem.

“But hockey culture is still so back-asswards that people – and I don’t think it’s just Bergevin and Therrien, but even some of the players – they can’t deal with that kind of guy who has so much energy and so much personality. And maybe it’s jealousy. Maybe it’s just them feeling him sucking up too much energy in the room. I don’t know because I’m not in the room.

“But I just feel that’s te root of this thing, and it’s craziness to me.â€

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nichols-notes/suthie-canadiens-subban-could-not-handle-what-he-was/

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Was there some kind of bad blood betwwe PK and the management? For me, this deal doesn't make a lot of sense from Habs POV.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Ahh. I saw that post now. Thanks. Seems like Habs just wanted to get rid of PK.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Weber's contract has no NMC or NTC clause attached, correct? If his play deteriorated so much towards the end of his career could he be forced to ride the bus in the "A"?

If he's riding the bus in the "A", Montreal still has about $6.5M of cap hit on their books (I believe they only receive "relief" of the league minimum salary +$425K).

The Preds must REALLY beleive that Weber is going to play out his contract, because the cap recovery hits are MAMMOTH given how front loaded the contract was, and with trading him they don't get any "credit" for the years where the cash paid is less than the cap hit. Will be really interesting to see how that shakes out long term.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Actually, probably far less. For all of the "PK isn't as good at D," that basically amounts to, "he's not as physical," but he is *far* better in terms of zone exits, and the disparity in Corsi reflects it.

Rinne will see fewer pucks because the Predators should spend less time in their own zone.

Maybe with a new coach things will change but PK is the master of the alley oop lob down the ice to no one.

Watch some habs games and you will see PK consistently throwing the puck down the ice and 80% of the time it NOT leading to a breakaway.

He has great dipsy doodles and rushes but if he puts up 6 goals and 2 on the PP next year his 9 million won't be looking so great.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

I think Price staying healthy helps them get into the playoffs. Weber won't hurt either, but if we are assuming he will be a better fit in Montreal than Subban I'm not sure the difference is enough to turn them into a playoff team by virtue of that roster change alone. Price staying healthy is a huge part of it, and, of course, moves that have yet to be made.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I don't understand why so many people dislike this trade. Weber is the best overall d out of the two and with his style of play he can play a lot more seasons. Subban will fit in nicely with lavys system though. Weber makes the Habs better and subban brings a more lavy style of d to Nashville. Win win

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I don't understand why so many people dislike this trade. Weber is the best overall d out of the two and with his style of play he can play a lot more seasons. Subban will fit in nicely with lavys system though. Weber makes the Habs better and subban brings a more lavy style of d to Nashville. Win win

Curious to see how Weber plays without the caliber of defensive partners that he had in Nashville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad