Proposal: MTL & NJ

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
yes he has some durability concerns. hes getting minutes on the habs that he wouldnt get elsewhere. hes averaging 25 and a half minutes a game.
LOL, so you admit to being purposely misleading.

Matheson has been a very productive dman since becoming a Hab. 62 points (and counting) this season on a 4.8M caphit and healthy as a horse. He's got value whether you want to admit it.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
LOL, so you admit to being purposely misleading.

Matheson has been a very productive dman since becoming a Hab. 62 points (and counting) this season on a 4.8M caphit and healthy as a horse. He's got value whether you want to admit it.
there wasnt anything misleading about it. he didnt play those games.

hes got value but so does the 11th overall pick. i know what one id rather have.

besides if nj is making a big move it ought to be for a goalie not an offensive dman. they have offense in spades

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
there wasnt anything misleading about it. he didnt play those games.

hes got value but so does the 11th overall pick. i know what one id rather have.

besides if nj is making a big move it ought to be for a goalie not an offensive dman. they have offense in spades
You claimed it was an outlier season. It's not given that he had a 58+ PPG pace last season. But glad you recognize that Matheson's offensive season this year is not a flash in the pan, given that he was producing last season.

As for the NJ Devil's needs, agreed. They need a Goaltender. They also need a PMD LHD and bottom six with size/grit.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Prior to this season he got 34 points in 48 games. He was on pace for 58 points last season.

A little context... lol

Another bit of context, he's our main (read almost only) offensive D. In a team like NJ that has premium offensive D, he won't get as many opportunities.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Montreal is more into looking at trading picks for young players than anything else, so trading players who are contributing right now for picks doesn't fit with mangement's philosophy, at all.

In a year, if two of Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher or Barron seem ready for regular duty and consistently create offense from the blueline and run the PP, then perhaps Matheson is expendable, but we aren't quite there yet.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Romanov was traded for the #13 overall pick by himself, so this seems like an extreme low-ball for Matheson.

Romanov was 22, Matheson is 30.

Either way, I wouldn’t do this trade. There are better uses of the 11th overall for more pressing needs.

Reactions: ThatsSoSlavin

Gaud

May 11, 2017
What potential draftee's do you think the Habs would be looking at the 11th spot anyways?

As I stated previously the Devils would be probably looking at

1. Dickinson (fat chance)

2. Buium/Lindstrom/Iginla/Nygard

Basically a tough shutdown defensman that can log big minutes and good at transition

Or a power forward that can win battles and score. Basically fill in the spot Slafkovsky would have filled if the Devils got him.

Personally, the player I've seen that has the most rumors is Iginla. Apparently Mtl met him several times already

potentially? I mean it could work since he's a speedy skater. His job would be to clean up Hamilton's mistakes by chasing pucks and opponents to pucks so it doesn't lead to breakaways.

It would be a lot like the L,Hughes/Hamilton pairing which if I remember correctly didn't work very well at all

This pretty sums it up for me as a habs fan. Love Matheson (we won that Petry deal for sure!!!), but chasing pucks and opponents (or any kind of D work) arent exactly things i'd get a Matheson for. Not really a fit IMO if thats what you need him for.

Don't get me wrong, the guy has elite skating - the type of player that can burn through players like they were nothing. Like.. the guy should have been a winger lol. He F's up 2-3 times a game where he just ends up giving a puck to the opposition. Then again, he should definitely not be playing 25 mins a game.

Reactions: Xirik

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Haha yes just like the Hughes comparison would be Barron.
No idea why you took this as some sort of insult to Guhle.

Romanov was a young dman who had 2 NHL years, at the exact same age as Guhle, playing 20+ minutes a night with good, not great results.

Similarly sized, similarly aged, similar playing time, same position at LD.

Guhle plays harder minutes on a worse team, but imo Romanov had had slightly better results.

Both very good young dman.

I value Guhle higher, so he would return more.

Reactions: Eegs

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
No idea why you took this as some sort of insult to Guhle.

Romanov was a young dman who had 2 NHL years, at the exact same age as Guhle, playing 20+ minutes a night with good, not great results.

Similarly sized, similarly aged, similar playing time, same position at LD.

Guhle plays harder minutes on a worse team, but imo Romanov had had slightly better results.

Both very good young dman.

I value Guhle higher, so he would return more.
Romanov and Guhle are two completely different D with different skillset. I’m not downplaying Romanov or its value I just thought it was funny comparing them. The only thing they have in common is they’re both young and were drafted by Montreal

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Romanov and Guhle are two completely different D with different skillset. I’m not downplaying Romanov or its value I just thought it was funny comparing them. The only thing they have in common is they’re both young and were drafted by Montreal
No comparison is perfect.

But a comparison between a pair of 22 year old montreal defensively focused 2nd pairing LD with 1 year of ELC left with decent results, likely a higher floor lower ceiling guy is about as good as you can hope for.

Again, I have continually stated I prefer Guhle. Would value him equivalent to a pick in the top 10.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

But a comparison between a pair of 22 year old montreal defensively focused 2nd pairing LD with 1 year of ELC left with decent results, likely a higher floor lower ceiling guy is about as good as you can hope for.

Again, I have continually stated I prefer Guhle. Would value him equivalent to a pick in the top 10.
Romanov had zwro offensive potential. Guhle has offensive talent. Huge difference between the two dmen players.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Romanov had zwro offensive potential. Guhle has offensive talent. Huge difference between the teo players.
Guhle is very much not creating much offense.

2.32 xGoals/60 with Guhle on the ice over the last 2 years. That ranks 182nd/208 Dmen with at least 1000 minutes.
2.33 xGoals/60 with Romanov on the ice in his 2 years in Montreal.

(And just for context, Montreal as a team generated 2.36 xGoals/60 with during romanov's 2 years, and have generated 2.44 xGoals/60 during Guhle's 2 years)

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Guhle is very much not creating much offense.

2.32 xGoals/60 with Guhle on the ice over the last 2 years. That ranks 182nd/208 Dmen with at least 1000 minutes.
2.33 xGoals/60 with Romanov on the ice in his 2 years in Montreal.

(And just for context, Montreal as a team generated 2.36 xGoals/60 with during romanov's 2 years, and have generated 2.44 xGoals/60 during Guhle's 2 years)
Guhle very much does create offense with his transition game. Watch him play rather than stat watch. He is night and day compared to Romanov in his playing style. Guhle rushes the puck and drives play.

Actually watch a game for once!

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
no

matheson is no fit. he won't play on the pp for the the devils. the rest of his game is worth a 3rd, maybe.
Clearly you haven’t seen Matheson play the PP might be the worst part of is game, since he is at is best when he is in motion, and able to use is speed… Maybe he isn’t a fit but Matheson at 50% (2.4M$) in is prime for 2 years is crazy value to move down 10-14 spot in the draft… he is worth a lot more than than in the open market. Anyone refusing or suggesting this is crazy…

Reactions: viceroy

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

No, the comparison is awful. I don’t disagree with your valuation but here you’re looking at two very different D that play two very different style.

A good example would be to say Jack Hughes and Draisaitl are two similar player, playing similar style.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Clearly you haven’t seen Matheson play the PP might be the worst part of is game, since he is at is best when he is in motion, and able to use is speed… Maybe he isn’t a fit but Matheson at 50% (2.4M$) in is prime for 2 years is crazy value to move down 10-14 spot in the draft… he is worth a lot more than than in the open market. Anyone refusing or suggesting this is crazy…
NJ needs a lefty defender with consistent physical defense that is competent with the puck on his stick. Whether that's Matheson I don't know. They have Luke Hughes and don't need a PP guy or really a transition guy as they have Hamilton returning and Nemc on the right side. The two guys at issue are Siegnethaler and Bahl. Neither has been as defensively steady as the team had hoped. In Siegenthaler's case maybe it's injury and he can heal up and bounce back. In Bahl's case maybe it's youth and coaching. We will see.

Reactions: HBK27 and dgibb10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad