Proposal: MTL & NJ

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
MTL : Matheson (50%) + WPG first around #24
for
NJ : #11 2024 + 3rd rd 2024

NJ gets a upgrade on LD for next 3 year while still getting a first pick.
MTL gets a better draft position for their rebuild.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
For 50% retained Matheson? Sure, assuming we can flip him for more.

There's no spot for him on our roster really but I'm sure at 50% we could flip him for pieces we actually need.

From Montreal in terms of pieces that would actually fit into helping NJDs roster makeup:

Guhle: 2LD with marino, would offer our 2024 1st+sweeteners
Montembault: 1G. Would offer our 2025 1st
Newhook: 3C/3LW: would offer our 2025 1st+winnipeg 2nd
Evans: 4C: Would offer 2024 3rd
Dvorak (50%): 4C: would offer 2024 3rd
Josh Anderson (50%): Miles wood replacement: would offer winnipeg 2nd

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Matheson too big part of our team to trade like that. Need core piece to move him. Which 11th is not.
#11 can land you Iginla or Helenius

For 50% retained Matheson? Sure, assuming we can flip him for more.

There's no spot for him on our roster really but I'm sure at 50% we could flip him for pieces we actually need.

From Montreal in terms of pieces that would actually fit into helping NJDs roster makeup:

Guhle: 2LD with marino, would offer our 2024 1st+sweeteners
Montembault: 1G. Would offer our 2025 1st
Newhook: 3C/3LW: would offer our 2025 1st+winnipeg 2nd
Evans: 4C: Would offer 2024 3rd
Dvorak (50%): 4C: would offer 2024 3rd
Josh Anderson (50%): Miles wood replacement: would offer winnipeg 2nd
You have a spot for Ghule but not Matheson ?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
New Jersey have Luke Hughes who may be worse at ES but was just as effective on the PP as Matheson this season. Their left side does kind of suck but I'm sure they're hoping for some bounce back seasons from a few guys.

I'm sure they could also flip one of their many good RD/RD prospects for a LD.

Habs also don't really need a mid-first like that as a key piece when there's about ten great prospects at the top of this draft. Matheson for MBN isn't great in itself. Then we're adding a first and retaining 50%? When was the last time a top 10 scoring dman was an add on to move up in the draft (not to mention not even to a high pick)?

Reactions: Guess

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
He would never get any PP time with the Devils his transition game is pretty good and the Devils do need that as Bahl and Smith can't pass at all. The 50% and Jets pick add to the appeal.

I would put this offer in the backpocket and call it plan C. The Devils are either trading that 1st as part of a goalie trade or potentially drafting Buium, Iginla, or Nygard.

If in the end we got Matheson and could manage to still use the Jets pick as a major piece of a goalie trade I wouldn't hate it.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
#11 can land you Iginla or Helenius

You have a spot for Ghule but not Matheson ?
Guhle would fit onto the PK and a shutdown pairing with marino

Luke-Nemec
Siegs-Hamilton
Guhle-Marino

All would be played approximately evenly.

PP goes to Luke,Nemec,Hamilton
PK goes to Siegs,Nemec,Guhle,Marino

Up a goal holding a lead means more of Siegs,Guhle,Marino
Down a goal chasing means more of Luke,Nemec,Hamilton

I don't see a role for Matheson on the PP.
I'm not a fan of him at all on the PK (Guhle has concerns there too but I have faith in his 5v5 defense translating in a different system and is still developing)
And I don't like him with marino, wasn't a fan of the fit during the stretches they played together in pittsburgh

He would never get any PP time with the Devils his transition game is pretty good and the Devils do need that as Bahl and Smith can't pass at all. The 50% and Jets pick add to the appeal.

I would put this offer in the backpocket and call it plan C. The Devils are either trading that 1st as part of a goalie trade or potentially drafting Buium, Iginla, or Nygard.

If in the end we got Matheson and could manage to still use the Jets pick as a major piece of a goalie trade I wouldn't hate it.
I do like his transition ability but I wasn't a fan of him and marino together at all when they were in pittsburgh so idk how he'd fit on a pair there (I want to see luke and nemec together).

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Guhle would fit onto the PK and a shutdown pairing with marino

Luke-Nemec
Siegs-Hamilton
Guhle-Marino

All would be played approximately evenly.

PP goes to Luke,Nemec,Hamilton
PK goes to Siegs,Nemec,Guhle,Marino

Up a goal holding a lead means more of Siegs,Guhle,Marino
Down a goal chasing means more of Luke,Nemec,Hamilton

I don't see a role for Matheson on the PP.
I'm not a fan of him at all on the PK (Guhle has concerns there too but I have faith in his 5v5 defense translating in a different system and is still developing)
And I don't like him with marino, wasn't a fan of the fit during the stretches they played together in pittsburgh

I do like his transition ability but I wasn't a fan of him and marino together at all when they were in pittsburgh so idk how he'd fit on a pair there (I want to see luke and nemec together).
Matheson with Hamilton would be a great line, probably the first line on D

Any reason why we’re retaining 50% on a contract of a guy who just posted a 62 points season and still has 2 more years at 4.8M?

I’d like to hear to reasoning to that
NJ are getting tight on the cap space.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
His skating may help him cover for Hamilton (who is quite slow) in some spots but I question if he's defensively responsible enough. And Siegs is at his best alongside Hamilton.

The value is certainly there.

My hopes are still (probably foolishly) set on prying Marcus Pettersson out of pitt and pairing him and marino up again

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
By the way this is based on IF a player is available at #11 that the Habs really wants.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
potentially? I mean it could work since he's a speedy skater. His job would be to clean up Hamilton's mistakes by chasing pucks and opponents to pucks so it doesn't lead to breakaways.

It would be a lot like the L,Hughes/Hamilton pairing which if I remember correctly didn't work very well at all

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
potentially? I mean it could work since he's a speedy skater. His job would be to clean up Hamilton's mistakes by chasing pucks and opponents to pucks so it doesn't lead to breakaways.

It would be a lot like the L,Hughes/Hamilton pairing which if I remember correctly didn't work very well at all
In terms of need a goal situations the Luke/Hamilton pairing worked pretty well.

Obviously some generous zone starts and strong forwards on the ice with them due to situation but they generated 64% of xGoals in the 60 minutes they spent together.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
By the way this is based on IF a player is available at #11 that the Habs really wants.
What potential draftee's do you think the Habs would be looking at the 11th spot anyways?

As I stated previously the Devils would be probably looking at

1. Dickinson (fat chance)

2. Buium/Lindstrom/Iginla/Nygard

Basically a tough shutdown defensman that can log big minutes and good at transition

Or a power forward that can win battles and score. Basically fill in the spot Slafkovsky would have filled if the Devils got him.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Any reason why we’re retaining 50% on a contract of a guy who just posted a 62 points season and still has 2 more years at 4.8M?

Agreed.

agree - he’s on a good contract as is.

Reactions: viceroy

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022

because you're getting 11th overall for matheson. sure he has 60 points, but he's 30 and his career high prior to this season is 34 points. it's an outlier season, likely to do with montreal having almost no one to move the puck. he'l likely revert to 30-40 points on the devils.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
What potential draftee's do you think the Habs would be looking at the 11th spot anyways?

As I stated previously the Devils would be probably looking at

1. Dickinson (fat chance)

2. Buium/Lindstrom/Iginla/Nygard

Basically a tough shutdown defensman that can log big minutes and good at transition

Or a power forward that can win battles and score. Basically fill in the spot Slafkovsky would have filled if the Devils got him.
Who are the power forwards in the draft?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
because you're getting 11th overall for matheson. sure he has 60 points, but he's 30 and his career high prior to this season is 34 points. it's an outlier season, likely to do with montreal having almost no one to move the puck. he'l likely revert to 30-40 points on the devils.
Prior to this season he got 34 points in 48 games. He was on pace for 58 points last season.

A little context... lol

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Okay so with Matheson gone (50%) and Savard likely gone, who do we have left at D that isn’t a rookie? Are we really going into next season with Harris being our oldest guy on D?

What about the rest of the team? If we keep trading our players for picks then when do you expect to stop tanking and get into the mix? When do we cross that line?

Anyway, I can guarantee you no one is being trade aside maybe Dvorak and/or Savard. This team is done tanking as well. We have our core pieces for the next decade. It’s time to take the next step

Reactions: Anardil

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Prior to this season he got 34 points in 48 games. He was on pace for 58 points last season.

A little context... lol
yes he has some durability concerns. hes getting minutes on the habs that he wouldnt get elsewhere. hes averaging 25 and a half minutes a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad