Waived: [MTL] Habs waive Victor Mete

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

The kind of dman we need, so guarantee we pass.

That’s where advanced stats fail miserably. Yeah he’s good when he has the puck on his stick and there’s space to carry through the neutral zone. But otherwise he’s absolutely useless and a complete liability. His expected goals should be zero since he has no offensive game whatsoever.

Comparing him to Devon Toews is an absolute joke. Teams don’t even have to put any pressure on him in their defensive zone. Just let him do what he wants because it’s never going to amount to anything. He’s as weak as a prepubescent boy.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I would not be surprised if this one bite the habs in the ass like with Beauchemin.

I could see him develop as top 4 defenseman.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
That’s where advanced stats fail miserably. Yeah he’s good when he has the puck on his stick and there’s space to carry through the neutral zone. But otherwise he’s absolutely useless and a complete liability. His expected goals should be zero since he has no offensive game whatsoever.

Comparing him to Devon Toews is an absolute joke. Teams don’t even have to put any pressure on him in their defensive zone. Just let him do what he wants because it’s never going to amount to anything. He’s as weak as a prepubescent boy.

Great points.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Mete was worth nothing. Habs have a handful of LD prospects coming along with more upside.
Which is terrible asset management. As for the upside such a shitty interpretation. I don't see that much upside with the current LD prospects to be honest.

The way the habs are handled I could honestly see Romanov being cleared on waiver 3 years from now.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Fun little story. Mete needed well over 100 games to record 1st NHL goal. One day a fan brought a sign to Bell Centre "if Mete scores a hat-trick I'll marry my GF". Mete went on to score 2nd and 3rd career goals that evening.

Source: Si Mete comptait 3 buts, cet homme demandait sa blonde en mariage

Google translation: Google Translate

That close call got the fan 15 minutes of fame in local media and if I recall acknowledgment (gift too?) from Mete.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Great skater. He's definitely an NHL caliber player, there are plenty of teams he would improve the third pairing on.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mete is all skate and no hat...(that makes no sense but it sounds nice)

My constant complaint about him was that he can skate but get's owned in his own end. He's simply not strong enough to stop a normal sized forward, never mind the Dubois and Matthews of the NHL.

Don't care if we lose him. Nor did he have ANY value because nobody would trade for him.

Bye.....

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mete was worth nothing. Habs have a handful of LD prospects coming along with more upside.

Guhle is already a better NHL defenseman without playing a minute in the NHL. By next year, Guhle is knocking on the door and by spring, Kulak is sitting in the stands......

Mete is the future Quiz Question.....who was the smallest defenseman to play for the Habs in the New Century?

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Since they acquired Merrill, I'm surprised they didn't just trade him back to the Wings but waived him instead. Wonder if he's that bad that even a bottom feeder doesn't even want him (e.g. to serve as Buffalo's #7 D?).

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Ottawa should add one defenseman they can protect as their third d in the expansion draft and expose Josh Brown as their mandatory defenseman. Because as it stands if nothing changes, they can only protect two defensemen (Chabot and Zaitsev) because Brown would be mandatory exposed (everyone else is exempt or UFA). Might as well fill that third spot with someone. And Mete is arguably someone.

Reactions: NB613

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Wow Mete's stock has really fallen....I'm shocked Habs couldn't get a mid-round pick for him at the very least.

You have to remember he came into the league at 19 or 20 and looked pretty good. The reason so many Habs fans had him in such high regard was because we assumed he'd progress like most young players do. Unfortunately he ended up regressing instead.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Mete is the Blake Lizotte of defensemen. All speed, no bite.

Reactions: Toene

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Totally agree, he stacks good advance stats numbers until he gets outmuscled like a child and the other team as a prime scoring chance.

Or just let him shoot his floater. Easy save for the goalie. Not a playmarker either. Sad, they ruined his developpement IMO, althought some of the blame clearly goes on the player.

Reactions: le_sean

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
People thought Weber, Juulsen, Tinordi, etc. would blossom elsewhere. Wrong. And Mete will never be more than a bottom pairing D in the league. He can have good games offensively, but he can't play defense in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad