Confirmed Trade: [MTL/DAL] Jordie Benn for Greg Pateryn & 4th in 2017

Laps40

Dec 16, 2006
Montreal
Pateryn couldn't even make our roster as the 7th D. The guy is just average on all aspects of his play. Fair trade imo

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
Montreal fans overrated their players, Pateryn for sure is overrated around here. He's a bubble player in the lineup guy that could be in the AHL next year.

Maybe some fans but most in Montreal think Pateryn is a borderline NHLer

Johnstarks

Feb 4, 2008
A local journalist Mattias Brunet said something interesting about this trade yesterday and I thought he was pretty much on target with his analysis.

He said it was a minor move but gave Montreal some needed flexibility.

The bottom pair on defence is currently Nesterov-Beaulieu, both guys being pretty offensive minded. Currently, Julien is trying to pair Weber with Markov, and Markov might not be able to handle playing 25 mins/game. With Nesterov and Beaulieu in the lineup, you have to give Markov some responsibilities on the PK. Benn is able to eat away some minutes from Markov by playing on the PK and doing what he does best, blocking shots, something Nesterov or Beaulieu dont excel at clearly.

So yeah minor move, and maybe some people will say Benn will be horrible on the PK but I think Benn is a slight upgrade from Pateryn.

I hope Bergevin has something else planned if he wants to better his team before the playoff dance.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
This is soooooo easy for sports sites to click bait. Gotta love the ones that leave out the first name and just say "Benn to Montreal".

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I don't know what all the fuss is about!

This is basically Mike Weaver 2.0.

He has more experience than Pateryn and has been a regular for the last 5 years.

This is trade that could end up being good for us.

I mean we are talking 5-6 D here people. It's not another Ribeiro for Ninimaa situation.

Just Relax!

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Maybe some fans but most in Montreal think Pateryn is a borderline NHLer

What got his ass in the pressbox for long stretches is he makes too many huge mistakes for a 3rd pairing guy.

Game costing turnovers that give coaches ulcers. When you're not scoring any points and you're doing that, you're going to the doghouse. Maybe he can learn since he's still relatively young at 26, but he really needs to tighten up his game a bit if he wants to earn a steady NHL place.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
AS a Stars fan, I like Jordie, his metrics show a bit better than his minutes suggest.

That said, he has been a staple on the leagues worst PK< so I wouldn't expect him to upgrade that for MTL. And, he has been a 4-6D man since about 2010, and in those years when the Stars have been bottom third of league in overall D.

He isn't bad, not as slow as a few here have projected, etc. He has played up and down our lineup and has been quietly good at times.

If you are a lower moving part of a bad D, I agree it was no major pain (other than Jamie's feelings, if that matters) to trade him.

This is the hockey version of something Mike Ditka once said upon releasing a long time back up tackle, if you are 30 and still a backup tackle, its probably better to bring in a young buy who has potential to become something more.

The Stars seem committed to youth and at least someone expressed interest in Jordie, so why not. Nill also mentioned he might have been attractive at the expansion draft, although most fans would have had them picking someone else off our roster, depending on who was being protected.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Lead the division because of the 13-1-1 start. It's illusion.

Contending teams win lots of games, sometimes in big streaks. If you win the division there won't be an asterisk that says "Illusion because of a hot start, team not really good."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad