Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Are habs fans going to propose

Max Pacioretty for 17th pick
Max Pacioretty for 18th pick
Max Pacioretty for 19th pick

Till they find a taker?

Kind of reaching on the starting point? Try offering from the 2nd Round and count downwards.

Habs need more 2nd round picks (currently with 4) and need to add some more. :huh:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Kind of reaching on the starting point? Try offering from the 2nd Round and count downwards.

Habs need more 2nd round picks (currently with 4) and need to add some more. :huh:

I think I seen offers for picks 10, 11 or 12(both owned by the Islanders), 13, 14, not sure if I seen 15(Flyers) so they now on 16. I sort of see a pattern

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
This is a fair trade. Colorado adds some secondary scoring, which they need badly, and Montreal kicks off their rebuild. I like it.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
This is a fair trade. Colorado adds some secondary scoring, which they need badly, and Montreal kicks off their rebuild. I like it.
Well, as its been stated, he's too old for the Avs rebuilding plan. This is a good deal if you ignore the teams' team building strategies

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I think I seen offers for picks 10, 11 or 12(both owned by the Islanders), 13, 14, not sure if I seen 15(Flyers) so they now on 16. I sort of see a pattern

Are you blind? serious question.

Most of those threads are started by the other team, not MTL. We don't want to trade him for a late pick.... he's the NHL 10th best scorer in the last 5 years.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Too old? He's 29. That's not old. They also have the cap space to re sign him.
For a team that is being built to a long term contender in 2-3 years? Yes, he's too old. There's little value in trading the first for a player that will be more likely to be starting to regress when they really need him. 29 is too old for how the Avs are being built.

If you want absolute proof, Sakic has explicitly said they want to get younger, as already the youngest team in the league at the moment. I would expect a player that is older than their mid twenties to be seriously considered.

The only real exceptions will be players that significantly expedite those plans (a Karlsson sort of player, basically)

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
For a team that is being built to a long term contender in 2-3 years? Yes, he's too old. There's little value in trading the first for a player that will be more likely to be starting to regress when they really need him. 29 is too old for how the Avs are being built.

If you want absolute proof, Sakic has explicitly said they want to get younger, as already the youngest team in the league at the moment. I would expect a player that is older than their mid twenties to be seriously considered.

The only real exceptions will be players that significantly expedite those plans (a Karlsson sort of player, basically)

Seems illogical to me for the youngest team to get younger, but if that's how Sakic wants to build this team then fair enough I suppose.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Seems illogical to me for the youngest team to get younger, but if that's how Sakic wants to build this team then fair enough I suppose.
The "getting younger" is more about letting our older, 30+ players move on if they have expiring contracts and committing to the youth movement, but in general its a good indicator that the team isn't committing to players on the higher age side, unless they're part of a perfect storm scenario

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I don't get the point for the Avs. We got into the playoffs this season because we've drafted well as of late, and gave the youngsters the chance to earn playing time. Why would we bet a 1st round pick and Meloche/Greer/whoever that Patches is going to keep being better than our youngsters for long enough to be worth it? Considering the recent guys drafted 16OA, I'd rather keep the pick and prospect and see how that works out for us in the long term. We're the youngest team in the league, there's no reason to alter the long term plan to try for short term success. Younger and faster.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Bergevin wants less
TKO4oaP.jpg

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
There's an obvious risk involved with that: The lack of playoff experience, especially when you just made the playoffs for the first time after finishing dead last the year before.

They are the youngest team in the league, and had 5 rookies on the ice at the same time more than once last year. Lack of playoff experience goes with the territory. The better solution to that is to keep making the playoffs and have your youngsters gain experience, not to trade for old guys who were on unsuccessful playoff teams in the past.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
I don't get the point for the Avs. We got into the playoffs this season because we've drafted well as of late, and gave the youngsters the chance to earn playing time. Why would we bet a 1st round pick and Meloche/Greer/whoever that Patches is going to keep being better than our youngsters for long enough to be worth it? Considering the recent guys drafted 16OA, I'd rather keep the pick and prospect and see how that works out for us in the long term. We're the youngest team in the league, there's no reason to alter the long term plan to try for short term success. Younger and faster.

Finally an Avs fan i can agree with.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Any chance the AVs do:

1st + Compher?

No chance. Compher reminds me of rookie ROR. The numbers aren't impressive, but the rest of his game is solid. I want to see what he can do when he doesn't break his hand to start the season, and don't see any point in giving him up for a soon to be 30 year old winger coming off a down season.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
There's an obvious risk involved with that: The lack of playoff experience, especially when you just made the playoffs for the first time after finishing dead last the year before.
Yes but stating the aim to get younger means they're not forcing this team to make the playoffs, we just happened to make the playoffs that's all.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Any chance the AVs do:

1st + Compher?

No interest.

AVs are trying to grow a young, fast and highly skilled team. Galy & Serg were players that would have drawn the most interest to fit the profile of this team. Adding a player like Patches on a 1 year deal is not worth the risk. Still 2-3 years away from competing, Patches would be too old when this happens.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It’s not a trade I’d hate but I don’t think we’re at the point that we’re buyers of older vets. I’d rather just keep what we’ve got and see how the kids develop for now.

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
Comeau probably wont be signed, you could view Patches as his replacement so Avs would not be older even with that deal. We have Kamenev to fill out the Compher spot. I really cant see any reason why Avs wouldnt do that deal. Patches is a 30 goal scorer under the age of 30.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad