Proposal: [MTL / COL] Max Pacioretty for 16th Overall + Nicolas Meloche

Ygg

Feb 2, 2017
Bergevin counters with 3rd OA plus Pacioretty for Girard, Meloche and a 4th round pick. Gotta get all dem Quebec boiis

Reactions: shello

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Why would the Habs do this? a mid round pick and another R hand player on defence who spent time in the ECHL? Or a winger that is a boderline NHLer? Come on.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Why would the Habs do this? a mid round pick and another R hand player on defence who spent time in the ECHL? Or a winger that is a boderline NHLer? Come on.
First time I've ever heard the term "mid-round pick" used to describe a pick in the first round lol. I mean, I guess it's kinda correct in the way you said it but the term "mid round pick" in the hockey world means a pick in the middle rounds, not just a pick in the middle of any round.

As for Meloche "spending time in the ECHL". He's a 20 year old defensemen with major upside. He spent time in the ECHL (5 regular season games) because Colorado shared their AHL team with St. Louis and there were two groups of AHL vets taking time. By the end of the season Meloche was San Antonio's #1D as a 20 year old.

I mean it's a hell of a post. I hope you work in sales with the way you called 16th overall a mid-round pick and then discredited Meloche for "spending time in the ECHL" when he played 5 regular season games there compared to the 58 he spent in the AHL with the final 20 or so of them playing as the top defensemen on the team as a 20 year old.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
First time I've ever heard the term "mid-round pick" used to describe a pick in the first round lol. I mean, I guess it's kinda correct in the way you said it but the term "mid round pick" in the hockey world means a pick in the middle rounds, not just a pick in the middle of any round.

As for Meloche "spending time in the ECHL". He's a 20 year old defensemen with major upside. He spent time in the ECHL (5 regular season games) because Colorado shared their AHL team with St. Louis and there were two groups of AHL vets taking time. By the end of the season Meloche was San Antonio's #1D as a 20 year old.

I mean it's a hell of a post. I hope you work in sales with the way you called 16th overall a mid-round pick and then discredited Meloche for "spending time in the ECHL" when he played 5 regular season games there compared to the 58 he spent in the AHL with the final 20 or so of them playing as the top defensemen on the team as a 20 year old.

Giving up a 30+ goal scorer (minus last year) for a pick that is halfway down the first round and a right handed dman that is not offensive or a big puck mover is not a good trade.

You act like he is the second coming which he isn't. You are just pissed because your trade makes no sense for a team in desperate need of goals.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Giving up a 30+ goal scorer (minus last year) for a pick that is halfway down the first round and a right handed dman that is not offensive or a big puck mover is not a good trade.

You act like he is the second coming which he isn't. You are just pissed because your trade makes no sense for a team in desperate need of goals.
I didn't act like anybody is the second coming. I explained to you that he was the #1 defensemen on an AHL team at age 20 after your tried to classify him simply as a guy who spent time in the ECHL. If you did the math on what I said and ended up with the answer that I called him the second coming you're about as intelligent as those that run your favourite hockey team.

I'm not pissed. I'm a fan of a hockey team who made a proposal on an internet board. It has no bearing on real life and fan of the Montreal Canadiens telling me that they don't like the deal certainly doesn't piss me off. I was simply correcting you in your classification of the pieces Colorado would be trading in this scenario as it was clear you didn't have an accurate understanding.

If you think it's not a good trade for Montreal, that's fair. But taking the salesman approach on shooting down the other side leads to me correcting you, that's all.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Meloche has zero hype around him so I get Montreal fans not jumping for joy over that name, but as an Avs fan I don't like this trade. Meloche has every single tool needed to be a top three/four D. IQ, can move the puck well enough, physical, and good size. Stralman is a good comparable stylistically.

EP quote "A smooth skating defenceman who can put up points, utilizing his strength behind his shot, and plays with an edge. Has very good awareness on the ice, and notices possible scoring chances before they happen. Very intelligent defensively and makes high percentage decisions in his own end. When at the top of his game, Nicolas Meloche can be a game-changing, physical two-way defenceman. (Curtis Joe, EP 2014)"

And he's held up to that in his post draft seasons thus far.

Reactions: PelleLindbergh

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Montreal could get more tbh.

Plus, Patches doesn't make much sense for us (Colorado). We would be better off putting together a package to acquire Skinner.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
This Habs fan says YES. Feel free to add it to your list of possible trades.

I still don't get why people try to low-ball and negotiate on HFBoards. No one ever won or lost a trade here. We're here to discuss possibilities, that's all.

"Would (this) be possible?"

"Yes."

OR

"No. Here is why."

OR

"No, but something like (this) could work."

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Montreal could get more tbh.

Plus, Patches doesn't make much sense for us (Colorado). We would be better off putting together a package to acquire Skinner.
How does Pacioretty not make sense for Colorado? Assuming Jost is their #2C which as of now he is, Colorado's biggest need is a goal scoring winger who is also tremendous in the defensive zone to help shelter Jost and the 2nd line in general. You say Patches doesn't make sense for Colorado and then you follow it up by suggesting another winger who produces less and is one of the worst defensive forwards in the game today.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
How does Pacioretty not make sense for Colorado? Assuming Jost is their #2C which as of now he is, Colorado's biggest need is a goal scoring winger who is also tremendous in the defensive zone to help shelter Jost and the 2nd line in general. You say Patches doesn't make sense for Colorado and then you follow it up by suggesting another winger who produces less and is one of the worst defensive forwards in the game today.

For me it comes down to age and speed.

If Patches came in he would be the 2nd oldest player on our team.

I simply think Skinner at 26 is a better fit for our core.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Avs are not in a "win now" mode. Getting a player that's supposed to be a core part of the team and will be in their thirties when the teams expects to enter long term contender status is sort of silly. He might satiate a need for the team now, but not in the grand scheme of the franchise. There are better options, and even that 16th overall could easily be more valuable to the franchise building plan (even if not technically more valuable overall)

Reactions: Goulet17

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
For me it comes down to age and speed.

If Patches came in he would be the 2nd oldest player on our team.

I simply think Skinner at 26 is a better fit for our core.

Skinner would be the better fit, but costlier option unless this includes an opportunity to extend his contract. Patches can be had for little given their tendency to undervalue their players.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
1)The Avs are looking to get younger, so this would obviously be a no from them.
2) MB has ruined that relationship so much no team would give up that much for him. He's worth a low 1st at this point
3) MB isn't capable of making good deals, so even if you find something fair, you'd probably have to cut it in half.

That pick is still plenty important to the Avs while a 30 year old soon to be UFA is not.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Are habs fans going to propose

Max Pacioretty for 17th pick
Max Pacioretty for 18th pick
Max Pacioretty for 19th pick

Till they find a taker?

Reactions: Patagonia

Ad

Upcoming events