Confirmed Trade: [MTL/COL] Alex Newhook for 2023 FLA 1st round pick, 2023 2nd round pick, and Gianni Fairbrother

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
He’s a 22 year old former first round pick. Former elite NHL prospect. Hasn’t broken out but has been a regular NHLer on a top team his first two seasons. Well worth picks 31 and 37 lol
I agree he can still break out. Many young players break out 24-25 years old but the runway is getting shorter.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Yeah well at that point and into their respective nhl debuts, Newhook was pretty much untouchable according to a lot of your fanbase.

Obviously if McDavid was on the table Newhook was gone. But, they praised him super high. Now 2nd season slump and he's automatically Jost 2.0
Sophomore year after winning the cup no less. Highly likely he had a bit of a party off-season. Imagine this year he’ll be in top shape. Am expecting a breakout in an increased role myself.

And before folks say I’m a biased Habs fan, look at my Newhook history before the trade. Have always been a believer, he was my 6th overall in 2019.

I agree he can still break out. Many young players break out 24-25 years old but the runway is getting shorter.
22 is still a prime age to breakout. If he were 24-25 now I’d agree with you, but at 22 he’s hardly past the typical age for breaking out.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Sophomore year after winning the cup no less. Highly likely he had a bit of a party off-season. Imagine this year he’ll be in top shape. Am expecting a breakout in an increased role myself.

And before folks say I’m a biased Habs fan, look at my Newhook history before the trade. Have always been a believer, he was my 6th overall in 2019.

22 is still a prime age to breakout. If he were 24-25 now I’d agree with you, but at 22 he’s hardly past the typical age for breaking out.
Thats what I mean, he has maybe 2 years to break out. Usually until around age 24-25 if they haven't broken out by then they are not going to.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021

Its more a change of scenery thing than an age thing. Owen Tippett broke out from 4 to 27 goals at 24 yrs old on a new team, a worse team. Played on a higher line.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
These are just words. They don't make him a better player.
Sure. Just like a 2nd year drought doesn't negate a player's potential.

I look forward to reaping the fruits of your efforts in developing him. Thank you for going through the bumps and bruises, we will take it from here.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

I look forward to reaping the fruits of your efforts in developing him. Thank you for going through the bumps and bruises, we will take it from here.
Avalanche do NOT develop players. If they need help developing they won't reach their potential.. The guys that do well like Makar are the guys that are pretty much finished items when they get there.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Montreal sure likes midgets

You mean you work for Montreal developing prospects? Awesome! Or you are helping by posting nonsense on hfboards? Maybe Newhook will come and read your posts and be inspired? Maybe that's what you meant?

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
He had 30 points last season, playing on a better team, and better line mates,

You expect him to improve by 20 points playing on a last place team?

You delusional
Better linemates ?! These are who he played the most with. He will have better opportunities in Montreal. This was from 2021-2022. Couldn’t find last year
745DB5CB-546D-43E7-B1DD-245F778F6A5F.jpeg

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Montreal sure likes midgets

You mean you work for Montreal developing prospects? Awesome! Or you are helping by posting nonsense on hfboards? Maybe Newhook will come and read your posts and be inspired? Maybe that's what you meant?
That's right. I am posting nonsense on these forums and seriously bringing down the glowingly triumphant quality level of content we see around here. I humbly apologize.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal

Im a fan of both teams and I was a big fan of Newhook on his draft year and I would say than im happy the Avs trade him now. Its a similar case to Poehling where expectation were very high and our boards struggling in debate if we have to trade him or not. Finally, we barely guet a value for him like Avs did in Jost case. It becomes very clear for the Avs that Newhook has a very look chance to get a breakout year. That not meaning he cant do, but it also mean in my book and probably in others Avs fan book that giving up a 31 and 37 pick for him was mooooore than welcome.
He had 30 points last season, playing on a better team, and better line mates,

You expect him to improve by 20 points playing on a last place team?

You delusional
Well I remember tough Hawks years when Kyle Calder was a points leaders for them and many posters here thought that was a breaking year. He continues to suck when he leaves them for a better club. In fact, when your an ok in a bottom-bottom team, you can just benefit of ice-time, PP and high margin goals game to pill up and that was Calder did. Im not sure how the things will work out for Newhook but if he’s able to find top linemates, he could certainly get more points without having a realy big step in his game.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Hated this trade when it happened. But willing to see if MSL can unleash his potential. I see him on a line with Dach.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Newhook needs to find a team that better fits his style and he'll break out. I think he has a long career as a top 6 tweener.

He'll mainly be a good second line winger but has enough offensive touch to be a first line winger if there are injuries. He'll fill in fine at C for a game or two if someone gets hurt. But shouldn't be there long term.

Montreal should give him 3.5 millions for 8 years. It sounds wild but he's already worth that and as the cap rises having a solid top 6 winger locked up through his entire prime for cheap is very worth it.

Reactions: HabsQC

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Just let them win this trade. They earned it once we couldn't send the first for Monahan after his injury
We just needed the 2nd to get Colton,
and we know how Avs + drafted Russian Dmen ends

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Newhook needs to find a team that better fits his style and he'll break out. I think he has a long career as a top 6 tweener.

He'll mainly be a good second line winger but has enough offensive touch to be a first line winger if there are injuries. He'll fill in fine at C for a game or two if someone gets hurt. But shouldn't be there long term.

Montreal should give him 3.5 millions for 8 years. It sounds wild but he's already worth that and as the cap rises having a solid top 6 winger locked up through his entire prime for cheap is very worth it.

If he believes in himself I dou t that offer does it, but would be a cool gamble.

If Habs can offload Hoffman, the door is wide open for Newhook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad