Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CGY] Sean Monahan and conditional 2024/25/26 1st round pick for future considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

S1C1L1AN78

Sep 15, 2009
Montreal
What's taking so long to officially confirm and give details of the trade ?? Possible other habs trades getting officially entered into nhl ?

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Wow. If Montreal comes away with anther '23 first, they're injecting speed into the veins of their rebuild.

From a Calgary perspective, expending the first essentially buys you Kadri. In that sense, its worth it. But considering Monahan has been spent for years, and was just about to come off the books naturally, its got to be a little bitter dumping him like this.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

OMG!!!! Friedman confirmed???
After these notifications work productivity can go screw itself.

Best wishes to Monahan. I was hoping he'd make a major come back from his injuries here, but I guess that wasn't in the cards. Holy crap!

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
There’s now 15 teams left trying to move cap space, and the market has finally been set. Problem is, there’s only a few teams who can take on the salaries.

Imagine trying to move a contract with more than a year left on it? Likely why the Isles deal with Kadri went sideways.

Reactions: G Backup

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Look at the Habs board before and after the draft and tell me "Nobody" thought petry had high value. There were also trade proposals on this forum about trading petry to the Stars for their 17OA pick.
Never saw outright proposed tbh, most were thinking it would be a trade up from either the Calgary pick or their first second rounder

Reactions: pth2 and Xirik

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Montreal gets a first and works hard to rehabilitate Monahans value and flips him with retention at the deadline for another midround pick. Pretty good deal on their end. So either price is ltir or they’ve got their own move coming

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
There’s now 15 teams left trying to move cap space, and the market has finally been set. Problem is, there’s only a few teams who can take on the salaries.

Imagine trying to move a contract with more than a year left on it? Likely why the Isles deal with Kadri went sideways.

And Brad Treliving jockeyed the situation masterfully to get out of the way of the bottleneck on his birthday. Dude's probably definitely getting sloshed tonight!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well looks like I will have some crow to eat on Monahan. We will see what the return is but I swore up and down that I didn't think the Flames would need to 'pay' to move him. Giving up a 1st to do so is really awful.
The only source claiming a first is some fantasy hockey guy I've never heard of. It is far from confirmed as the title indicates.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
So basically Calgary has to do as good as last year or better in order for this trade not to come back and haunt them.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
If it's a 1rst it'll end up being in the 15-20 range which is damn good for a guy Montreal can probably retain on and flip at the deadline.

Looking at it from Calgary's perspective there's not many teams that can take on cap right now so swapping Monahan and a 1rst for Kadri is a really good deal as well..
You would think that if you are getting a 1st just to take him on you would also realize he will have no value at the deadline. He just is not very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad