Confirmed with Link: [MTL/BUF] Beaulieu to BUF for 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drunk World Order

Jun 22, 2003
Toronto
Thought we could have gotten more for him, but I guess there wasn't a big market out there for him. I wonder if he's asking for big money? ...Anyway I believe Lernout will be given every oppertunity to make the team next year.

Markov Weber
Petry Jerky
Benn Learnout

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
List of players with the about same number of games played (76) and less points (28)

Marc-Edouard Vlasic 75,28
Morgan Rielly 76,27
Jonas Brodin 68,25
Sami Vatanen 71,24
Jack Johnson 82,23
Mattias Ekholm 82,23
Aaron Ekblad 68,21
Hampus Lindholm 66,20
Adam Larsson 79,19

And yet you would take EVERY D-MAN ON THAT LIST ahead of him without even thinking. I remember Marc-André Bergeron...he had 34 points in 60 games when he played for the Habs and yet, YOU, ME adn everybody woud have send him packing for a 14th rounder even if that doesn't exist.

Just seconds before we learned the trade, I did say however that I would have protected him. And don't exactly understand that deal. But it's better to have a #68 than nothing at all.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
List of players with the about same number of games played (76) and less points (28)

Marc-Edouard Vlasic 75,28
Morgan Rielly 76,27
Jonas Brodin 68,25
Sami Vatanen 71,24
Jack Johnson 82,23
Mattias Ekholm 82,23
Aaron Ekblad 68,21
Hampus Lindholm 66,20
Adam Larsson 79,19

WHAT A ****ING JOKE :shakehead

Jordie ****ing Benn LOL

I would take every d-man on that list over Beaulieu in a heartbeat. I think all of them expect for Reilly are much more well rounded, but even he has a much higher offensive ceiling.

Having said that, I do have concerns with Benn. He was rock solid prior to his injury, but looked very poor in the playoffs. I hope its just a matter of not completely healing, otherwise, he is not really worth protecting either.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I would take every d-man on that list over Beaulieu in a heartbeat. I think all of them expect for Reilly are much more well rounded, but even he has a much higher offensive ceiling.

They would all cost at least Galchenyuk, most of them Galchenyuk + + +

A 3rd rounder for Beaulieu? AH!

Jerabek better be good.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I never imagined so many posters would cry because Beaulieu is traded.

Only on this board.

How are you surprised ? It happens literally every single time.

Sekac/DSP/Tinordi/Pateryn/Y.Weber/Diaz/Andrighetto/Kristo/Eller/Gorges/Semin/Cole

Unless it's locals like Bouillon/Barberio/DD. Then it's fine, for some it's even a dream come true. As good as winning a cup.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Interesting scenario I read on the main board.

I wonder if BUF acquired Beaulieu as part of a side deal to protect Ullmark and ensure he wasn't going to be taken by LVK. I guess we'll see BUF's list tomorrow.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
They would all cost at least Galchenyuk, most of them Galchenyuk + + +

A 3rd rounder for Beaulieu? AH!

Jerabek better be good.

A plan that already has Jerabek slotted into a full time spot is no plan at all as far as I'm concerned. I have issues with this defense too, with or without beaulieu.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
They can just choose Hudon, cheaper, younger and maybe he ill be able to get 30 points too.

Plekanec is a more valuable asset. If Hanzal can land a 1st at the deadline, Plekanec can too. At least a 2nd. LV can eat cap on deadline deals too to make the players even more attractive.

I don't think Hudon has much trade value at this point in time. He'd be a project.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Interesting scenario I read on the main board.

I wonder if BUF acquired Beaulieu as part of a side deal to protect Ullmark and ensure he wasn't going to be taken by LVK. I guess we'll see BUF's list tomorrow.

My guess :

MB talked with GMGM and McPhee told him they liked both Plekanec and Beaulieu but if it was a choice between the two it would be Beaulieu. So they traded Beaulieu to Buffalo so Buffalo could protect Ullmark. And so Montreal can let LV take Plekanec and Beaulieu. Everyone wins.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That's not why we traded him, we traded him because off his "off ice issues", leadership was supposed to prevent that.

CJ clearly didn't have confidence in him regardless of off ice issues. But if he was a problem off the ice, maybe it was vets that went to management and said this kid won't listen so trade him. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
We have a new head coach. Julien won a Cup with McQuaid in the lineup. He will want to have Lernout in the lineup and provide to the Habs what McQuaid did for the Bruins.

Nygren is a wildcard. He hated Hamilton. He might be willing to come to Montreal now that the AHL is completely not an option.

Bergevin did not move Beaulieu without a plan. People can hate on the man but he is not stupid.

"Johnathan Toews is not a number one center."

Yes, Bergevin is in fact stupid. Almost every move he's made has seemingly been executed with no plan in mind.

Can't score? Get three grinders at the deadline. Need D men who can skate and have a bit of skill? Trade them for declining "leaders" and 3rd round picks, acquire the ****** Benn. AHL coaches needed? Hire your under qualified old buddies and your management's family members. Need a #1 center? Draft him third overall, play him on the wing for 4 years then compare him to an alcoholic in denial right before you plan to trade him away.

This GM is a joke and it's not even funny.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
My guess :

MB talked with GMGM and McPhee told him they liked both Plekanec and Beaulieu but if it was a choice between the two it would be Beaulieu. So they traded Beaulieu to Buffalo so Buffalo could protect Ullmark. And so Montreal can let LV take Plekanec and Beaulieu. Everyone wins.

I mean if that's the case I'd be okay with it since we're free of the Plekanec contract and could maybe make an aggressive offer to Dadonov or Kovalchuk.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I would've liked to get more than a 3rd but I appreciate the extra pick. Bergevin had pretty major work to do on LD anyways so I don't see how this affects our team, really. We're going to pick up another LD.

I don't find the trade particularly compelling though. Pretty meh all around. I think a lot of GM's around the league thought similarly regarding moving assets that you don't plan to protect: you're still going to lose 2 players off your roster instead of 1.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
There's no way we traded 2 LD, our biggest weakness next to #1C, without a plan in place

We have basically 3 2nd rounders this year and next and Vegas wants picks, I'll wait a few weeks to see what happens

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
My guess :

In that case wouldn't you just protect Beaulieu and let Vegas take Plekanec and that way we don't lose a dman for nothing?

Jul 6, 2016
This is just sad.And I'm pretty sure we're gonna add our last 3rd overall pick next week to that list.

So far he has added Drouin and has traded Beaulieu for a 3rd round pick .

Tell me in which extent it is that sad ?

OriginalCanadian

May 13, 2015
The Hammer
Disappointed at the return but not really surprised.

I feel nothing about this trade. I'm not happy that it happened but I'm also not mad that it happened. :dunno:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
In that case wouldn't you just protect Beaulieu and let Vegas take Plekanec and that way we don't lose a dman for nothing?

You do realize that Beaulieu is arbitration eligible. That means he will get some 3M+ award and eventually would be gone anyway. We can live with Beaulieu's occasional brain cramps at 1M cap hit but not at 3-4M. We didn't have the cap room for him. We can do better with that cap space.

This way we at least got a 3rd for a player we had zero intention of keeping.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Well first this have absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

But since you want to go there
, Beaulieu is a sacrificial pawn alright, which make this move out of turn. If you are to trade Brolieu for a 3rd today, a few hours before the roster freeze with your back against the wall, then you should have flipped him at the dead line (or even the previous off-season), for either scoring help or better asset.

I have no idea what you said and wasn't responding or referring to anything you said. I'm posting in a Beaulieu trade thread. I don't have time to read all the posts.

What you say could have/should have happened at the deadline or last offseason has no bearing on today. There is an expansion draft this week that changes everything and our new coach had his fill of Nate Beaulieu. A 3rd round pick was NB's salvageable value today and Habs coaches/management wanted him gone. I'm sure the Sabres aren't the only team they talked to given hockey pundits have been reporting that Habs have been aggressively trying to trade him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad