Proposal: MTL and SJ

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Could MTL and SJ be a good trading partner ?

MTL is in need of decent forward prospect and SJ Defenseman,

MTL : Logan Mailloux
for
SJ : Quentin Musty

Both players have great potential, pretty sure none of them are bust.

What do you guys think ?

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Could MTL and SJ be a good trading partner ?

MTL is in need of decent forward prospect and SJ Defenseman,

MTL : Logan Mailloux
for
SJ : Quentin Musty

Both players have great potential, pretty sure none of them are bust.

What do you guys think ?

I don't know much about Logan, and the positional need makes sense. Something like this could work, but, I do suspect the sharks are rather high on Musty given that he fell on draft day and has had a ridiculous year so far.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
I don't know much about Logan, and the positional need makes sense. Something like this could work, but, I do suspect the sharks are rather high on Musty given that he fell on draft day and has had a ridiculous year so far.
Mailloux is killing it in the AHL and he is right handed as well.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
San Jose is in just as much need at forward help as they are for defensive help. Maybe they explore this after the lottery but if they don't win it there are a lot of higher potential defensemen available right around their pick
SJ should be either #1 or #2 , so the obvious is Celebrini or Demidov.
If they drop down to #3 or #4 then yes they could draft a D.

SJ have a lot more forward in the pipeline then D

Ledge And Dairy

SJ should be either #1 or #2 , so the obvious is Celebrini or Demidov.
If they drop down to #3 or #4 then yes they could draft a D.

SJ have a lot more forward in the pipeline then D
San Jose has a 56% chance of picking 3rd, so statistically they should be #3. The only way they can drop to 4th is if they pass Chicago in the standings.

They may have more forwards but not necessarily in quality. Also there are a lot more forward positions to fill. Again maybe after the draft they do this but at #3 if Demidov is off the board then the best prospect available is probably Levshunov or one of the other 3 top defensemen.

Reactions: Lockin17

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
San Jose has a 56% chance of picking 3rd, so statistically they should be #3. The only way they can drop to 4th is if they pass Chicago in the standings.

They may have more forwards but not necessarily in quality. Also there are a lot more forward positions to fill. Again maybe after the draft they do this but at #3 if Demidov is off the board then the best prospect available is probably Levshunov or one of the other 3 top defensemen.
Nobody has a 56% chance of picking 1st or 2nd either so if you apply that standard to all teams, the Sharks are back at #1. If I'm running the Sharks, I'm not trading for Mailloux under any circumstances. They were already burned recently by someone they thought they could reform and they shouldn't take that sort of risk while they're rebuilding and certainly not at the cost of Musty.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Nobody has a 56% chance of picking 1st or 2nd either so if you apply that standard to all teams, the Sharks are back at #1. If I'm running the Sharks, I'm not trading for Mailloux under any circumstances. They were already burned recently by someone they thought they could reform and they shouldn't take that sort of risk while they're rebuilding and certainly not at the cost of Musty.
I think Logan has done a good job keeping his head down and doing the right things while performing st a high level so I don't know if he's certainly someone that needs reforming.

However, I wouldn't do this trade unless Montreal throws in a sweetener like Fowler.

Ledge And Dairy

Huh? Yes the Sharks have the best odds at picking in the top 2 but that does not change the fact that they have a 56% chance of picking 3rd. Every other teams odds combined adds up to 56% chance of picking top 2

Reactions: Prairie Habs

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I think Logan has done a good job keeping his head down and doing the right things while performing st a high level so I don't know if he's certainly someone that needs reforming.

However, I wouldn't do this trade unless Montreal throws in a sweetener like Fowler.
So Montreal is basically trading the pro-ready, RD putting up exceptional numbers in his first pro season and plays the premium position (over Musty) + a gold-medal winning, goalie thats up for the NCAA goalie of the year as "a sweetener"?

yea, no thanks

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Huh? Yes the Sharks have the best odds at picking in the top 2 but that does not change the fact that they have a 56% chance of picking 3rd. Every other teams odds combined adds up to 56% chance of picking top 2
Yes but only one team wins the lottery so using the odds of one team in one specific scenario and not applying that to everyone else is misleading.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018

Damn i would not even trade Fowler for Musty 1 vs 1 .

I don't think you understand the value of players mate.

A RHD , 6,03 , 220 pounds with a top 4 potential versus a top 6 LW with similar potential makes sense and the value is there.
It comes down to if SJ wants a RHD, they sure need some.

Ledge And Dairy

Yes but only one team wins the lottery so using the odds of one team in one specific scenario and not applying that to everyone else is misleading.
It's not misleading at all. San Jose is statistically most likely to pick 3rd based on how the lottery system works. This has nothing to do with any other teams individual scenarios

Reactions: Prairie Habs

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Given how Montreal and SJ are in similar positions (ie, deep rebuilds), with Montreal likely a couple of years ahead, then I only see 2 types of deals that could work:
-Position swap, ie SJ moves a forward for a D or a pick intending to pick a D.
-A guy who fits Montreal's timeline but not SJ's - Zetterlund comes to mind, for futures which better fit SJ's timeline.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Damn i would not even trade Fowler for Musty 1 vs 1 .

I don't think you understand the value of players mate.

A RHD , 6,03 , 220 pounds with a top 4 potential versus a top 6 LW with similar potential makes sense and the value is there.
It comes down to if SJ wants a RHD, they sure need some.
Ok. I won't lose any sleep over this.

Reactions: cheechoo

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's not misleading at all. San Jose is statistically most likely to pick 3rd based on how the lottery system works. This has nothing to do with any other teams individual scenarios
That's the point though. If you do odds by each individual team, they're most likely to pick 1st. If you decide to show the Sharks versus the field then yeah but if you then go what each individual team's odds are against the field, you'll see similar results.

Chicago's most likely outcome is to pick 4th. Anaheim's most likely outcome is to pick 4th. Columbus' most likely outcome is to pick 5th. Arizona's most likely outcome is to pick 6th and so on.

Reactions: cheechoo

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
RHD are at a premium along with centres. RHD with size are even more rare.

Habs say no. Sharks need everything, so there's no point in them switching from one prospect to another.

Also huge LOL at the poster that said Montreal would need to add Fowler.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mailman is 3rd overall in scoring for defenseman in the AHL. He hits, fights, skates, hard and accurate shot. RHD arguably a more important positon then center.

Obviously he's future PP1.

His weakness is that he missed a few years of defensive development and needs to refine his reads and gaps.

NO to any trade unless it's overpayment for PROVEN player. AND absolutely no to any offer of picks.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
RHD are at a premium along with centres. RHD with size are even more rare.

Habs say no. Sharks need everything, so there's no point in them switching from one prospect to another.

Also huge LOL at the poster that said Montreal would need to add Fowler.
Well, Smith, Halttunen, Bystedt, Musty, Lund, Eklund, Bordeleau are their best prospect no ?
Where are the D ?? Havelid at 5,09 ? lol yeah right

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad