Proposal: MTL and PHI "Hockey Trade"

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
This deal, IMO, has the potential to help fix both of the team's issues and fill some gaps. To clarify... I said, "help," this does not solve their problems. I know this sounds weird, as Philly needs help on D, but viewing Gustafsson as an offensive d man and Lehkonen as a defensive forward, the logic is there.

• Philly is currently 2nd worst in goals against and is tied for the 3rd worst penalty kill. We know d is a need, and this move doesn't preclude them from also adding at the blue line.
  • Montreal needs some offense and mobility in their top 4 D. This trade doesn't guarantee it, but give the guy some minutes alongside a Petry or ideally Weber, and see what happens - his point totals in recent past show he can bring something.

Montreal trades:
Arturri Lehkonen (RFA, 2.4M cap hit, 25 y/0)

Incredibly reliable defensive forward, plays on the PK, back checks and forechecks well. Multiple GMs around the league have noted that he's a guy they'd like to have because he just makes good mistake-free decisions.

Philadelphia trades:
Erik Gustafsson (UFA, 3M cap hit, 29 y/0)

Puck moving defenseman that plays the left side. Has had at least one highly productive season that I'm aware of. Is he slotting in well in PHI when they really need more defensive D.

Thoughts?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The Flyers just could not afford Lehkonen on the 4th line next year and he should not play over:

Giroux
JVR
Lindblom

You can trade for Gus...just send us a pick

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Gus is an abomination on defense. Only thing he does well is his shot does get to the net. Comes playoff time you would have to go 11-7.

Reactions: Pertti

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
Gus is an abomination on defense. Only thing he does well is his shot does get to the net. Comes playoff time you would have to go 11-7.
Which I think is fine and MTL/Bergevin's goal has always been to go with depth on d for the playoffs.

Gustafsson - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Edmundson - Romanov
Kulak - Mete

Decently well rounded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Which I think is fine and MTL/Bergevin's goal has always been to go with depth on d for the playoffs.

Gustafsson - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Edmundson - Mete
Kulak

Decently well rounded.
From Flyers point to view easy done deal. Free look at Lehkonen and if you don't like you let walk and don't offer a contract. It makes it easier for AV to go full "r" (think tropic thunder) and bench a young player you don't want to. But I never need to see Gus on ice ever again.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Can't see Montreal considering that. Like, at all.

Gustafsson - Weber
Chiarot - Petry
Edmundson - Mete
Kulak

Decently well rounded.

You think Gus would play ahead of Chiarot and Edmundson? Really?

Have you... watched Gustafsson?

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
Can't see Montreal considering that. Like, at all.

You think Gus would play ahead of Chiarot and Edmundson? Really?

Have you... watched Gustafsson?
I have not... I'm basing it almost purely off of his past production and some scouting reports online. Not an expert... just proposing a trade I thought might work.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What's happened to him since the 60 pt year in CHI? Are the Flyers that bad that they've crushed his game?
He was on a 37 point pace 4 years ago
He was on a 36 point pace last year
He is on a 34 point pace this year despite not getting #1PP time.

That 60 point season is the outlier including the 18 PPpts. His next best PP season is 8

He is a 30-40 3rd pairing Dman who can help on the PP, but struggles defensively.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
What's happened to him since the 60 pt year in CHI? Are the Flyers that bad that they've crushed his game?

He scored 29 the points the next season (paced for 36). He's scored 10 points while pacing for 34 with the Flyers this season.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Gus is really that bad defensively. And Gus's puck handling/outlet passes are shaky at best. There is some lost confidence there. His one talent he does have is he has an accurate shot that does get to the net and or get tipped. Early on JVR had some tips based off a Gus shot. If he wants to stay in the league, he may need to change to wing and then play d on pp. There is just no way you can trust Gus in a playoff game at 5x5.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Easy... both teams are not that far apart... Phi even won last po series between them.
Gus ahl in 2018, big year in 19, last year down year. Flyers didnt crush Gus.
Did like your sales pitch on Lehkonen. Fine little player. Nothing wrong with him.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You can have Gus, but we dont need additional depth forwards back. PHI and MTL have an infatuation with 7th rounders, so send us one of those and hes all yours.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
If you are really really in need of a D man that can run a PP, then Gus could be useful to your team. However Habs have Petry so doesn't seem to be the case. Otherwise Gus is pretty bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00