Who would you rather have coach?

• MSL

Votes: 74 74.0%
  • Rod Brind'Amour

Votes: 26 26.0%

• Total voters

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
How can one quantify who's the better coach when they're tasked with different objectives or aren't afforded the same perameters.

The only way you could differentiate the two is by giving them both the exact same rosters and then judge those results.

Everything else is just subjective.

Removing Marty for Brind'Amour at this juncture doesn't do the habs any favours, if anything it would be more than likely detrimental. MSL has done everything he's been asked to do by those who hired him..
That's fair but if there was an unbiased poll done on who was a better coach, RBA would run away with it.

MSL just does not have the resume to compete with him.

There just isn't a logical argument that a guy who has coached a bottom 5 team for 2 years in the league is better than a guy who has coached for 15+ years in the league and has multiple conference finals appearances.

Of course I hope Marty is more accomplished than him in 10+ years, I just don't think he will even want to stick around that long because he always looks like he's drowning on the bench

There is a little difference in talent. Right now St Louis is the guy for the job, a teaching coach. If the Habs start improving he stays, if his strategy starts holding the Habs back, tell him to change it. If he won't, then ask him to please stay on as an assistant teaching coach and hope like hell that he does.
Basically my only issue with St. Louis is the flat refusal to hire an experienced tactician to help him behind the bench. He hired assistants that were just as inexperienced as he was and blocked HuGo from signing an experienced associate coach when they offered to help

Reactions: Vachon23

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
One is there to develop players over wins because the habs are rebuilding.

The other has a team to get to the playoffs and win.

Seems hard to understand for some.
This, if you think coaching is the problem for the Habs, I don't know what to say without insulting your intelligence. He is doing very well doing what he was brought in to do.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
That's fair but if there was an unbiased poll done on who was a better coach, RBA would run away with it.

MSL just does not have the resume to compete with him.

There just isn't a logical argument that a guy who has coached a bottom 5 team for 2 years in the league is better than a guy who has coached for 15+ years in the league and has multiple conference finals appearances.

Of course I hope Marty is more accomplished than him in 10+ years, I just don't think he will even want to stick around that long because he always looks like he's drowning on the bench.

Kent Hughes doesn't have the same resume as Marc Bergevin, doesn't make Bergy a better GM. It just means he has more experience and results in his back pocket. Including 2 conference finals and Stanley cup appearance.

I personally haven't seen Marty drowning.

Last edited:
Reactions: MXD

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I think this is what happens when you select whatever statistics happen to support your position. It's quite clear Habs performed better this year than last, at both an individual level, and team performance. Games were more competitive and closer. The team obtained 8 more points (somehow lost in your myopic statistical analysis).

It's just business as usual from our fanbase. No patience, no recognition of progress or of overall strategy that includes high draft picks and player development, the search for political explanations when there are none, etc.
From an individual level:

Slafkovsky, Suzuki, Matheson, Gallagher, and Armia all had "good" seasons

Caufield, Dach, RHP, Harris, Xhekaj, and Barron all had "bad" developmental seasons

Basically broke even with development this year, oh and I forgot Anderson and Dvorak completely fell off a cliff

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
This, if you think coaching is the problem for the Habs, I don't know what to say without insulting your intelligence. He is doing very well doing what he was brought in to do.
It’s not about thinking the Habs have a coaching problem

It’s about who is the best between Brind’amour and MSL and for now the logical answer is Rod

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What would have been your expectation last year and this year? Switch Rod for MSL, and the last two years we're in the playoffs? Tell us how many more points Rod would have given us. Since you're advocating for mediocrity, it's important to state things clearly. Where would we be with Rod at the helm?
Bro the question is which coach would you want stop dancing around the pot I have no time for ridiculous conversations.

The team is ready to compete, I want the better of the two coaches. You're the one that mentionned the "analytics" cup and belittled Rods success.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Brind-Amour is French enough I think...

Would the public accept a guy with a French name that couldn't speak French?
They have had a tough time with Hughes since he is an English montrealer, remember that stupidity....

It’s about who is the best between Brind’amour and MSL and for now the logical answer is Rod
I love MSL, but it's not even close.............and MSL would absolutely agree with that.....
Let's hope MSL is the right guy and as we win and upswing he grows with the kids....

Reactions: Vachon23

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
people really need to visit canes forums. Rob is a total defence first type coach that stiffles some players through the implementation of his system. Its happened famously with Necas. Canes fans love him but they realize Necas would be better served away from Brind'Amour so he can thrive offensively. I thought habs were starting to leave that legacy of defence intensive systems

Reactions: Kimota and HabbyGuy

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
people really need to visit canes forums. Rob is a total defence first type coach that stiffles some players through the implementation of his system. Its happened famously with Necas. Canes fans love him but they realize Necas would be better served away from Brind'Amour so he can thrive offensively. I thought habs were starting to leave that legacy of defence intensive systems

The grass is always greener, Michel Therrien got results as well.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
At the end of the day, you win with great defensive structure

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
At the end of the day, you win with great defensive structure
Yes but theres no need to go to the extremes. For what the habs are doing right now, it would be a disaster. For the future, maybe. Maybe MSL becomes more attune to defensive structure. Who knows?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Yes but theres no need to go to the extremes. For what the habs are doing right now, it would be a disaster. For the future, maybe. Maybe MSL becomes more attune to defensive structure. Who knows?
I have no problem with how they played the past season, but they will need to be way more structured defensively if they want to compete in the futur season

Reactions: MXD

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

Ok, why do you think Rod is superior?

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Would you want the coach with a .438 over 200 games or the guy that has a near .700 winning record over 500?

As far as I know, one coach had a far more talented team to work with. It's dishonest to compare their records.

- 664 % win in career
- 2 .700 + season
- Jack Adams winner
- 8 rounds wins in the playoffs

The other one stil haven’t prove at any major level that he can win
Would Brind'Amour have achieved those same results with the Habs the last few years?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
As long as he had a MVP goaltender....ask Theo and Price.
.... And Rod the Bod has at least 3 and maybe 4 D-Men that would be our best D-Men.
From an individual level:

Slafkovsky, Suzuki, Matheson, Gallagher, and Armia all had "good" seasons

Caufield, Dach, RHP, Harris, Xhekaj, and Barron all had "bad" developmental seasons

Basically broke even with development this year, oh and I forgot Anderson and Dvorak completely fell off a cliff
In regards to the bold + underlined, you're begging to be called a f***ing idiot.

And you’re answer is no for can MSL have as much success
... That's the thing : you can't say.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Even Ducharme managed to win 3 rounds in a year but RB doenst speak french so no thanks
And THAT, is why we will continue to fail. I understand why it is worth it to bring in french coaches as much as we can, but if there is an awesome candidate available and we don't take him because of language issues.... <SHAKING MY HEAD IN DISGUST>

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
As far as I know, one coach had a far more talented team to work with. It's dishonest to compare their records.

Would Brind'Amour have achieved those same results with the Habs the last few years?
It's dishonest to talk about Brindamoues achievements like they're nothing and then talk like MSL is making his team overachiever.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
And THAT, is why we will continue to fail. I understand why it is worth it to bring in french coaches as much as we can, but if there is an awesome candidate available and we don't take him because of language issues.... <SHAKING MY HEAD IN DISGUST>
I don't have a problem with bringing in such a coach, if he/she exists.

But I don't think he does, and if he does, it's probably not RBA.

It's dishonest to talk about Brindamoues achievements like they're nothing and then talk like MSL is making his team overachiever.
In all likelihood, both coaches have a very negligible impact on their team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad