News Article: MSG+ launching this summer to stream games for Knicks, Rangers, Islanders, more

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
MSG Networks is launching a streaming service for fans to watch the New York Knicks, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, New Jersey Devils and Buffalo Sabres, the company announced Wednesday. Here’s what you need to know:

• MSG+ will launch this summer and be available to fans who live in regions where MSG’s channels are available on cable TV.
  • Additionally, MSG+ will be free for anyone who is already a paying subscriber of a TV service that has MSG Network, the company said.
  • The streaming service includes multiple subscription options: monthly ($29.99), annual ($309.99) or single-game purchases ($9.99).
  • An MSG+ subscription also includes MSG Network and the new MSG SportsZone, a free ad-supported streaming television channel, or FAST, that recently launched.
Mroe info: MSG+ launching this summer to stream Knicks games

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
10 dollars to catch an Islanders game. I hope they go bankrupt and NY City Council oust them from the Garden for eminent domain

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Can you stream it on PC? If so, that's great. If not, boo.

This article makes no mention of the Islanders, which is odd, no?

MSG+ will launch this summer with games for the NBA’s New York Knicks, as well as the NHL’s New York Rangers, Buffalo Sabres and New Jersey Devils. The streaming service will cost $29.99 a month, or $309.99 annually, according to a company release on Wednesday.

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Can you stream it on PC? If so, that's great. If not, boo.

This article makes no mention of the Islanders, which is odd, no?

Figures. The media article does not mention the Islanders. But the company release the article is reporting on, does mention the Isles.

It is pricey, but as someone who does not care for cable, and cord cut a long time ago… I always like options.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
This is good news if it means they'll have an app for Fire TV, Roku, etc. instead of making you cast from the crappy MSG Go app. I do worry though that it'll be an add-on for everyone, even those with cable, once they realize how much more 💰 they can milk from their subscribers.

Reactions: bstash19

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Out of market people will still use ESPN + over this. I assume this is useful for people who are in NY and want to get off cable though.
That's pretty much who its for, as someone who dropped traditional cable my only option is FuboTV, pretty much all I watch is MSG so this would be a better option for me personally.

Reactions: CupHolders

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
So I have Optimum for cable and can already stream games on the MSGGo app at no cost.

Ideally, Id like something that lets me stream MSG games for a nominal fee, and drop Optimum completely. If I drop Optimum, $309 a year is a little steep, but Im also cheap :)

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
So I have Optimum for cable and can already stream games on the MSGGo app at no cost.

Ideally, Id like something that lets me stream MSG games for a nominal fee, and drop Optimum completely. If I drop Optimum, $309 a year is a little steep, but Im also cheap :)

Seems like this will be free for you and be an additional option to MSG Go, if they're keeping that around.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I hate how every network is doing a "plus" initiative. Whatever, I'll just mooch off of my parent's cable subscription.
Came here to say this. I miss when everything was on a more centralized platform, but then you get issues like we saw with cable monopolies.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I do not think anyone down here in Raleigh area carries MSG....so then it would not be available here.
Fee is high as well....would have to cut that in half.
Personally i just watch Islanders...might watch some Knicks if i had it but i can already do that through other means.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Out of market people will still use ESPN + over this. I assume this is useful for people who are in NY and want to get off cable though.
ESPN + is a fraction of this cost and you get the entire Disney bundle. It actually is beneficial to live out of market. And if you have Verizon Unlimited, like me, it's free.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
ESPN + is a fraction of this cost and you get the entire Disney bundle. It actually is beneficial to live out of market. And if you have Verizon Unlimited, like me, it's free.

Yup I agree. Though I think my overall point is this MSG package is pretty much only for people who still live in NY and want to cut the cord. The price of all these streaming packages on top of $30 for MSG is basically going to end up costing the same amount as cable eventually.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Seems like this will be free for you and be an additional option to MSG Go, if they're keeping that around.

Yes, if I keep the sports package on Optimum, this will be a free option, which is cool.

But I would love to drop Optimum altogether (FIOS will be available to me in a few weeks) and just have internet through FIOS, and a little bit cheaper sports streaming option that will let me watch Isles/Mets/Knicks games.

By the time you're done piecing together apps, might as well just get TV through Optimum or Verizon!

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
I've been pretty hell-bent on dumping Optimum for some time. I'm in Westchester and besides the cost of my package, their internet service has become unreliable, and service or response takes forever, Awful customer service.

I've been wanting to go with Fios and cut the cord as I have Free Hulu, Disney, etc with my Current Verizon Phone Package. The big holdup was losing MSG as it's only been available on FUBO up until now and it's too complicated.

I'll pay the 30 per month 6 months a year to get the Isles and other Local Hockey teams and cut the cord now that MSG is doing this.

Would love to see Isles got to SNY and completely get Mr Dolan out of my life but that's unlikely.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Im in the exact same boat Ollie, just in Dutchess County.

Thats a good way to look at it.. you can sign up before, and cancel after, hockey season, and it will only cost around $180-210 depending on how you time it.

SNY is the other issue, though, with cutting the cord - its available on Hulu+LiveTV ($69.99/mo) and on YouTube TV ($64.99/mo), but those are both pretty hefty monthly costs - kinda eats up the cost savings of cutting the cord.

Reactions: Olliemets

monmouthisles

Jan 13, 2023
Regarding the Islanders and MSG. Does anyone know when the current contract expires? the ideal fit would be for the Islander games to be broadcast on SNY.

Reactions: WangMustGo

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Last year I had the NHL.TV package, but this year I’m doing ESPN+.

My question is how does it work with the TNT playoff games?

Does MSG also broadcast the playoff games that TNT is doing, or are they exclusive to TNT?

I’m not only curious about the above question, but also how this streaming service will handle TNT?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad