Online Series: Ms.Marvel on Disney+

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Love this show so far .. the cultural references, the origin story is all really cool .. I agree the "villains" are kind of weak but this is definitely more about introducing us to the character and endearing her to fans. Some good cliffhangers at the end of each episode.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Starring teens, but more mass appeal than a Disney cable channel show. I expect more from you =P

The visual style and strong cultural overtones bring a lot to enjoy.
Oh I think it ain't too bad, and yes it's great that it highlights a different group of American immigrants, but it's still a teen show, and the visual style only accentuate that (nicely done, but almost unbearable to me - not really a fan of any of the Disney series and I don't think this one will be different, I'll wait though).

But I was answering to your comment suggesting Spiderman might not be a teen movie.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I love how Marvel re wrote Ms Marvels origin story for the series from being an inhuman (which they seem to be moving away from since the TV series bombed) to what they did now. Just amazing writing across the board.

Very solid so far, definitely exceeded expectations based on the trailers. This is a "teen show" as much as the Tom Holland spider-mans are "teen movies."
Wow this take is so epically wrong on so many levels.

It stars a teen. Period.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Zenobia Shroff had a fantastic acting performance this episode. There was some very clumsily written lines in this episode, but she made a meal out of her scenes, and did a lot with it.

My biggest complaint is probably that things are moving too quickly. I personally find the action scenes the least interesting, and would enjoy more of the character stuff. I'm not complaining though. It's an MCU show that's trying to introduce a new hero. It's what you're signing on to watch.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I love how Marvel re wrote Ms Marvels origin story for the series from being an inhuman (which they seem to be moving away from since the TV series bombed) to what they did now. Just amazing writing across the board.

Wow this take is so epically wrong on so many levels.

It stars a teen. Period.

Marvel began pushing the Inhumans because at that time they did not have the movie right to the X-Men.

That was why Marvel Comics stopped creating new "mutant" characters as any mutant character would fall under Fox control.

When Disney purchased Fox, Marvel Comics started featuring new mutant characters again and the Inhumans were forgotten.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That was a very moving episode. Aisha's actress really steals the screen. You know you've done something right when even Akasan teared up during his reaction. And to save people time, the end credits song:

I recommend putting the captions on, the lyrics are really deep.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Was an ok episode, getting to see the past of where Kamala came from and how she ended up heling her own existence? We also have been seeing people give her parts of what will be her future end costume with the blue vest and now the red scarf and the mask and her mom finding the necklace broken in what will be her future symbol.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Had low expectations but two things are making this series a great watch. Iman Vellani (we'll be seeing lots more of her) and how well the stories about the partition are worked in. Colour me impressed.

Reactions: Jussi

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Nice episode to close the loop on her family backstory, just in time for the big action finale .. I wonder if we'll get a spoiler about the second bengal. I also like how they're putting in a lot of the cultural/emotional significance to what will be her costume, and how it's subtly done in pieces.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Probably the best finale out of all the Disney shows? At any rate, my favourite episode of the season by quite a bit. Narrative wise it was a bit awkward to see where it was gonna go, but I thought it hit on all the themes portrayed throughout very well, and unlike a lot of Marvel these days did not overdo it with the little hints at future projects.

Also Nakia deserves her own show tbh

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yeah, that was the first Disney+ Marvel show where the finale really knocked it out of the park. Not that I had been disappointed with them but they ranged between good and satisfying.
Also, Kamala is finally a mutant, as she was intended to be in the comics.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I thought the finale was okay not great.

The writing was too simplistic.

Kamala's Mom knows how to make superhero costumes.

Kamala's Dad somehow manages to use wordplay to call his daughter Ms Marvel.

Kamala's parents standing behind the police barrier while they're daughter is being attacked is unrealistic.

No one was seriously injured in the battle at the school.

I did like the "Gene Mutation" reveal with the X-Men Cartoon score!

Will someone please Bruno he has been friendzoned !!! :laugh:

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Yeah, that was the first Disney+ Marvel show where the finale really knocked it out of the park. Not that I had been disappointed with them but they ranged between good and satisfying.
Also, Kamala is finally a mutant, as she was intended to be in the comics.

Awesome wrap up to an unsuspecting great show:

Did you catch the brief X-men animated series music when he told her? Subtle .. Great Cliffhanger that leads perfectly into The Marvels too.

Comes full circle with her name .. This whole series has been excellent in developing her backstory.. IMO one of the best we've seen in the MCU.

Seeing her powers come out in more full force was fun too.

Reactions: Vaheh

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Awesome wrap up to an unsuspecting great show:

Did you catch the brief X-men animated series music when he told her? Subtle .. Great Cliffhanger that leads perfectly into The Marvels too.

Comes full circle with her name .. This whole series has been excellent in developing her backstory.. IMO one of the best we've seen in the MCU.

Seeing her powers come out in more full force was fun too.
I didn't at first but saw it in the credits and rewound.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Kamala's parents standing behind the police barrier while they're daughter is being attacked is unrealistic.

Minor comment: I believe she had it tailored. That part of the world I would assume it's still a thing that not all clothing is mass produced so you can still go to a local good quality tailor. I haven't travelled much but I've been to Vietnam and you can get a really good suite for cheap that way.

I thought it was a nice little touch to fit the overall cultural theme the show was going for, answering the super hero question/trope of 'how does some kid get manage to a good costume?'

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Who says Kamala's mom made it? She just said "I got something for you"

A little campy but didn't bother me

Where would the parents go? They have no powers...

In the end it was a fitting end and interesting to see her as a mutant given that she was part of the group that were made Inhuman at the time in the comics because Marvel wanted to be able to control their movie rights as anybody that was a mutant belonged to FOX at the time.

I think that credit scene leads us back to the arm found with the bangle earlier in the show and how something in the Marvels movie will involve Ms Marvel helping Captain Marvel against the Kree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad