Mrazek traded to the Flyers

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Do you watch Red Wings games? Or do you check the stats.

Did you see the game last night?
Goal 1. Jensen has it. Chips it to a maple leaf. Doesn't cover JVR, who deflects the shot past Mrazek - who has virtually no chance unless the deflection just hits him.
Goal 2. Kronwall passes it from behind the net to AA... but the pass is behind him and AA can't handle it. Puck goes back to Kadri who feeds the Marner in the slot for a point blank chance.
Again, Mrazek has to hope it hits him on a bang-bang play.
Goal 3. Faceoff goes to Jensen on the boards. Jensen pushed off the puck. Nylander gets there before Larkin. Nylander takes to the puck to the goal mouth before AA knocks it loose. But it goes to Matthews at the side of the net and he's not being covered, whatsoever, by Dekeyser, who didn't think it was important to cover the guy.

I get that a lot of goals are breakdowns of some sort But virtually every goal comes from horrible plays by this team's defense.

It's been a long, long time since I saw as many backdoor goals on the Red Wings as I've seen this year. Probably 88 or so.

The point is, bad defenses in bad systems are going to give up higher quality scoring chances and more goals.

If you want to look at GAA and save percentages and say "the goalies suck," fine.

But I think one of the reasons why goalie stats are volatile is because they're so reliant upon the coach's system and the personnel to carry it out.

First, I like how because someone disagrees with you that right away means that only you watch games, and the other side must of course only look at stats. I didn't watch last nights game, no, was doing other things. That makes no difference though, so Mrazek had one of his good games, so what, those have been few and far between for the past 2 seasons. He has shown to not have a great attitude towards his team, and they have also called into question his work ethic, these kind of things are not usually just thrown around to dis a player for the heck of it. For example the only Red Wings we hear this about, are AA, Mantha and Mrazek, the first two of which were known for being lazy in junior already, so makes sense that it still exists only a few years later.

Not only that, but you are firmly in the tank side of things, so by your judgement of Howard being much worse than Petr, doesn't that just help us be worse in the standings, like you want?!

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
More pieces like money. They'll sign a Brian Elliot type while Von Pottelberghe, Larsson, or Petruzelli develop or they draft another guy.

I guess. Is anybody worth signing going to hit UFA? I dunno I still think trading Howard now Mrazk later had more potential upside

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I liked Mrazek, I think the team gave up on him and he gave up on the team. I think he's going to do very well with the Flyers. But we need to blow up the team, so we did what had to be done.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I guess. Is anybody worth signing going to hit UFA? I dunno I still think trading Howard now Mrazk later had more potential upside

Yeah, but the people who actual matter... the teams trading for the guy thought that Mrazek was a better pickup.

Also, there are a dozen goalies in the same boat as Howie and Petr in FA pretty much every year. They're not realistically going to be contending for a little bit here, so they could sign a guy like Neuvirth or Varlamov if he's free or some other guy that springs free like a Grubauer or something. I'm way less worried about the goalie for this period of time.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
While the team is rebuilt Mrazk doesn't have to be good. Hell, if he suckes the next 2-3 years just as well.(improve draft) There was always the chance that he turned it around....and gave time for prospects to play behind him to know if they are truly viable.

I think could have gotten something for Howard now and more later for Mrazk if need be... At very least Should have held out for playoffs team looking at upgrading backup for Howard and then worst case deal with Mrazk later since he'll be RFA.(either resign for one more yeat and trade at next deadline or hope somebody gives him offer sheet).
Rebuilding isn’t just about betting on every young player with upside. It’s about identifying characteristics you want to keep around. Do we want Mrazek as a mentor to young goalies? From what we know, that would not be a good situation.
Howard is still good enough that he won’t sink the team. He can be a veteran backup for many years.

Re-signing Mrazek was never a good idea for us. He had his chances, he blew it, time to move on. When the critical time came, Mrazek sucked and complained and Howard quietly worked his butt off to get better. What player do you want around for our prospects to learn from?

Decisions like this is what will ultimately seperate us from Edmonton and make us a good team again.

Reactions: BinCookin

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I really like Mrazek and personally I think it was the wrong choice to give up on him already. I wouldve given him another year to sort everything out. If he does, great you got a #1 goalie again, and if not it just helps the tank. Its frustrating watching Holland give Kindl, Cleary and Smith chance after chance but throw Mrazek under the bus. It is what it is though, hopefully the change the scenery and the thought of losing a job in the NHL wakes Mrazek up for good. Im definitely rooting for him in Philly, and not just cause we'll get a better draft pick.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Rebuilding isn’t just about betting on every young player with upside. It’s about identifying characteristics you want to keep around. Do we want Mrazek as a mentor to young goalies? From what we know, that would not be a good situation.
Howard is still good enough that he won’t sink the team. He can be a veteran backup for many years.

Re-signing Mrazek was never a good idea for us. He had his chances, he blew it, time to move on. When the critical time came, Mrazek sucked and complained and Howard quietly worked his butt off to get better. What player do you want around for our prospects to learn from?

Decisions like this is what will ultimately seperate us from Edmonton and make us a good team again.

I said this in another thread, but it looks like Holland wants two types of players......kids with upside, and vets to guide these kids. If you are a youngish player who appears to have hit your ceiling, your likely going to be shopped.

With that being said, I would like to move some of the vets as well and open up some cap.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Do you watch Red Wings games? Or do you check the stats.

Did you see the game last night?
Goal 1. Jensen has it. Chips it to a maple leaf. Doesn't cover JVR, who deflects the shot past Mrazek - who has virtually no chance unless the deflection just hits him.
Goal 2. Kronwall passes it from behind the net to AA... but the pass is behind him and AA can't handle it. Puck goes back to Kadri who feeds the Marner in the slot for a point blank chance.
Again, Mrazek has to hope it hits him on a bang-bang play.
Goal 3. Faceoff goes to Jensen on the boards. Jensen pushed off the puck. Nylander gets there before Larkin. Nylander takes to the puck to the goal mouth before AA knocks it loose. But it goes to Matthews at the side of the net and he's not being covered, whatsoever, by Dekeyser, who didn't think it was important to cover the guy.

I get that a lot of goals are breakdowns of some sort But virtually every goal comes from horrible plays by this team's defense.

It's been a long, long time since I saw as many backdoor goals on the Red Wings as I've seen this year. Probably 88 or so.

The point is, bad defenses in bad systems are going to give up higher quality scoring chances and more goals.

If you want to look at GAA and save percentages and say "the goalies suck," fine.

But I think one of the reasons why goalie stats are volatile is because they're so reliant upon the coach's system and the personnel to carry it out.

Goal 1, bad goaltending. He actually had a pretty clear view of the puck. Van Riemsdyk's screen really wasn't actually that good. Could/should one of his D tied up or pushed out JvR? Yeah, probably... but he had a clear view of the puck. If he's positioned out on top of the crease to cut off the angle, Gardiner's shot wouldn't have a chance to get to JvR's stick.
Goal 2, I agree. Marner gets the puck in that area, not much you're gonna do as a goalie. He's really hung out to dry on this one.
Goal 3, Mrazek goes for a poke check on Nylander and completely misses it and is slow getting across to Matthews' side. DDK was preventing the easy tap in on the back door goal and Matthews was able to react quick enough and sag back far enough that DDK and Mrazek just had to try getting themselves in front of the shot instead of whatever.

And all the backdoor goals getting scored on Petr? It's because teams knew they could do it. They knew that he was aggressive as hell and would take himself out of position all the time. Goal 1 could have been nullified by positional goaltending. Goal 2 needed D help, because a sniper in that area with forever and a day? You're dead. Goal 3, again positional goaltending. Use your butterfly to take away down low on Nylander and slide over towards Matthews. Petr went for a poke check and missed it and tried reacting to the puck going across. If you try to play reacting goalie in the NHL, you're DOA. Petr is a fantastic athlete, so he's better than most at it... but he's plays a very bad style of game.

Redden Smith

Feb 19, 2018
Getting a 3rd and 4th rd pick with possibility of 2nd for a goalie who would not have been a wing next year anyways is pretty good. No point on arguing what his potential was/is/will be at this point he was gone either way

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Fundamentally a stupid trade. Given that Howard mentally and physically is made of glass and that they have no goaltending depth. This proves how badly out of touch Holland is.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
To make this trade worse, their savior in the NCAA is the 70th best in that league with a sv% under .900. He's getting outplayed by an undrafted scrub with terrible numbers.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Fundamentally a stupid trade. Given that Howard mentally and physically is made of glass and that they have no goaltending depth. This proves how badly out of touch Holland is.
Did you expect goaltending to carry us to the playoffs this year? Next year? Year after?

What would be really funny is if Mrazek plays well with Philly, earning us a 2nd, but he doesn’t get qualified and then we sign him in FA for cheap.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
For those still questioning why it was Mrazek and not Howard, let's break down for you.

Mrazek had little to no value(hence why they couldn't even give him away this offseason). In a contract year, no less.

Howard has negative value.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Did you expect goaltending to carry us to the playoffs this year? Next year? Year after?

What would be really funny is if Mrazek plays well with Philly, earning us a 2nd, but he doesn’t get qualified and then we sign him in FA for cheap.

No, but, I also don't like seeing the team give up on a young player and keep an injury prone, streaky, vet. It shows the team still hasn't moved beyond the destructive philosophies that have lead them to this point.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I really like Mrazek and personally I think it was the wrong choice to give up on him already. I wouldve given him another year to sort everything out. If he does, great you got a #1 goalie again, and if not it just helps the tank. Its frustrating watching Holland give Kindl, Cleary and Smith chance after chance but throw Mrazek under the bus. It is what it is though, hopefully the change the scenery and the thought of losing a job in the NHL wakes Mrazek up for good. Im definitely rooting for him in Philly, and not just cause we'll get a better draft pick.

If you like him as a player, you should be happy he gets to play for a legit team now and show what he's actually made of. I like him and the Flyers and hope he works out for them (as in he carries them in the POs and they sign him to a deal). If he does, we get a much better pick and an additional pick. If he doesn't, they lose only a 4th and we gain a 4th for a bust. That's why it's a beneficial trade for all involved.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
No, but, I also don't like seeing the team give up on a young player and keep an injury prone, streaky, vet. It shows the team still hasn't moved beyond the destructive philosophies that have lead them to this point.

If another team wants him this year, they will trade him as well no doubt about it. If not, they'll shop him around after his NTC expires. I'll be shocked if they're not looking to offload him at all. That would be stupid.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
People complaining we arent rebuilding. . Trade players, trade everyone are also complaining of this? No one wants Howard. Hes high priced for a stop gap, he has term after this year... sure Mrazek had potential but it likely wasnt ever coming to fruition here. If we keep Petr, we would still have Howie and likely lose Pete for nothing .... this was the best hockey deal any GM could make given the situation. We got more picks, which is what we need.

Reactions: Redden Smith

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
For those still questioning why it was Mrazek and not Howard, let's break down for you.

Mrazek had little to no value(hence why they couldn't even give him away this offseason). In a contract year, no less.

Howard has negative value.

People complaining we arent rebuilding. . Trade players, trade everyone are also complaining of this? No one wants Howard. Hes high priced for a stop gap, he has term after this year... sure Mrazek had potential but it likely wasnt ever coming to fruition here. If we keep Petr, we would still have Howie and likely lose Pete for nothing .... this was the best hockey deal any GM could make given the situation. We got more picks, which is what we need.

Sorry but that's just not true. There were plenty of reports that came out saying Howard had interest, the return just wasn't what the Wings wanted. He clearly isn't going to bring in a high pick, but saying "no one wants Howard" and hypothetically a 5th round pick being offered for Howard are two different things. He's not Drew Miller.

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
Getting a 3rd and 4th rd pick with possibility of 2nd for a goalie who would not have been a wing next year anyways is pretty good. No point on arguing what his potential was/is/will be at this point he was gone either way

He was a RFA

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
He was a RFA

Yes, but if you don't qualify an RFA which in Mrazek's case was for around 1 year/4mil, then they become a UFA. The belief is that the Wings were not going to qualify him which is why some people are saying it was to better trade him then lose him for nothing.

Redden Smith

Feb 19, 2018
Yes, but if you don't qualify an RFA which in Mrazek's case was for around 1 year/4mil, then they become a UFA. The belief is that the Wings were not going to qualify him which is why some people are saying it was to better trade him then lose him for nothing.
Yeah no way they qualify him for 4 mil, and no way he signs back with the wings

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Big mistake

Add to the laundry list of mistakes made the last # of years

At least the tie went to the vet again

Have to maintain that mantra while rebuilding in a game solely for young men

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad