Mrazek traded to the Flyers

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Good I hope he does keep sucking. Thew ings need high picks not 26 year old goalies at this point. Hopefully they trade Howard next deadline too

If the Wings get Dahlin.... a turn around might take 2-3 years. Mrazek would be 29.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
2008 Stanley Cup Champions
2009 Stanley Cup Finalists

That's more than about 85% of the league has accomplished in the cap era.

He showed the ability to adjust to the cap. Not to sustain anything.

He forgot that you have to prune your roster every year and replace older, expensive players with younger and cheaper players every year.

Not just once.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
He inherited a great team with the best owner in all of sport, won the lottery twice with Pav and Z and had a hockey genius advising him.

Inherited a great team? He he's been with the organization since 1985. He worked his way up to director of amateur scouting and then eventually assistant GM over a 12 year span. I don't know why people act like Holland just showed up randomly one day.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If the Wings get Dahlin.... a turn around might take 2-3 years. Mrazek would be 29.

And you all would be bleating for the next guy to take over when Mrazek would have a down week or two because by god, he’d be an ancient 29 year old goalie getting paid 4M+ and Keith Petruzelli would be just as good but play for a stick of gum

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Inherited a great team? He he's been with the organization since 1985. He worked his way up to director of amateur scouting and then eventually assistant GM over a 12 year span. I don't know why people act like Holland just showed up randomly one day.

Because it makes their bull crap argument make more sense to them.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Inherited a great team? He he's been with the organization since 1985. He worked his way up to director of amateur scouting and then eventually assistant GM over a 12 year span. I don't know why people act like Holland just showed up randomly one day.[/QUOTE
When he became the ultimate decision maker they were a great team.

If you can't see that he is bumbling fool, I don't know what to say

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

So if something extremely unlikely happens, theres a chance that they COULD turn it around in 2-3 years and be good again. But it will likely not happen like that and a 2 year turn around seems generous. In all honestly Mrazek is closer to 32 or 33 before the wings contend again.

What would you say if the wings got nothing for him this TDL?

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007

Exactly could have traded Howard this year. Qualified mrazek gave him a chance to show you he is legit or not. If he is great, if he’s not we get a good understanding of what we have (prospects) and can trade for or sign a free agent goalie depending on where we are as a team

Reactions: Danrs112

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Holland was awarded the job during a power struggle.
The velvet camp, led by Jimmy Devellano, didn't like how much power Scotty Bowman wielded in the organization.
Jimmy lobbied the Ilitches hard to knock Bowman down and install Holland.
It's why we got Screwie Lewie, part of Jimmy D's velvet camp, as coach in 02-03.

Fortunately, Holland realized that Lewis couldn't cut through the country club and he hired Babcock.

Full marks to Holland for the work he did from 04 to 08... but I think he started screwing up about the time he signed Cleary to the five year deal. It was a sign of things to come.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
2008 Stanley Cup Champions
2009 Stanley Cup Finalists

That's more than about 85% of the league has accomplished in the cap era.

I really liked what Holland did coming out of that first lockout. That guy was aggressive in re-shaping this club. I sorta wish Ilitch would give Holland an internal cap just to force him to get more creative. I don't think the extra cautious approach of the past six or so years just has done well by him and has been out of character a bit compared to how he managed the club before that.

Reactions: jkutswings

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Holland was awarded the job during a power struggle.
The velvet camp, led by Jimmy Devellano, didn't like how much power Scotty Bowman wielded in the organization.
Jimmy lobbied the Ilitches hard to knock Bowman down and install Holland.
It's why we got Screwie Lewie, part of Jimmy D's velvet camp, as coach in 02-03.

Fortunately, Holland realized that Lewis couldn't cut through the country club and he hired Babcock.

Full marks to Holland for the work he did from 04 to 08... but I think he started screwing up about the time he signed Cleary to the five year deal. It was a sign of things to come.
With a hockey genius as an advisor.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Exactly could have traded Howard this year. Qualified mrazek gave him a chance to show you he is legit or not. If he is greasy, if he’s not we get a good understanding of what we have (prospects) and can trade for or sign a free agent goalie depending on where we are as a team

He had literally three years to show whether he was worth a damn or not. He spent two of them soiling himself in net.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I really liked what Holland did coming out of that first lockout. That guy was aggressive in re-shaping this club. I sorta wish Ilitch would give Holland an internal cap just to force him to get more creative. I don't think the extra cautious approach of the past six or so years just has done well by him and has been out of character a bit compared to how he managed the club before that.
When Bowman was advising him.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
The Holland-Cleary thing always rubbed me wrong. Never have i seen a guy brought back year after year despite being 100% worthless to us. towards the end he was a healthy scratch more often than not. Yet he got signed again. and again.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Ultimately I wish we gave Mrazek one more year to prove himself, but if we were not going to qualify him, this was the right move to make. Best case scenario we now get a 2nd/3rd for a player that was going to walk away for nothing in the summer.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The Holland-Cleary thing always rubbed me wrong. Never have i seen a guy brought back year after year despite being 100% worthless to us. towards the end he was a healthy scratch more often than not. Yet he got signed again. and again.
Babcock absolutely played a part in some of the vets staying around longer than needed.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

He just didn't seem to understand that managing a cap is a constant crisis, not a one-time thing.
Holland was always too much a country club guy. It probably pained him to buy out Hatcher, Whitney and McCarty and then to let Shanahan go.

But that's the shit that needs to get done on a regular basis.

It wasn't only 05, either.

After a near miss in 07 he had the balls to let Robert Lang and Matthew Schneider walk away.
Lang and Schneider each had 52 points that year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
So if something extremely unlikely happens, theres a chance that they COULD turn it around in 2-3 years and be good again. But it will likely not happen like that and a 2 year turn around seems generous. In all honestly Mrazek is closer to 32 or 33 before the wings contend again.

What would you say if the wings got nothing for him this TDL?

Larsson and Petruzelli are both 19. Four more years of Mrazek holding down the fort, essentially being what Howard is now, would be pretty close to their wheelhouse for when they'd likely be pushing for a spot in Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad