Mr. Brandon Sutter

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Staal is gonna have a huge year. I think he'll put up similar pt totals as Eric.

I'm intrigued with Sutter being a RHS and being able to play wing. If he could ever round out his game as a net front guy or shot threat on the left boards, he could be our Kesler light.

regard

Nov 9, 2009
Staal Debates
I liked that second PP unit. Jeffrey and Kennedy in tight looking for shots with Sutter in the blue paint. If they cant shoot or feed it then they in hit Niskanen on the point or pass it to Paul Martin to.....feed Niskanen for a shot.

Anyway our second PP has been garbage for awhile, just a mismatch of grinders with no formation. They dont get much time either so if the first unit fails putting out some guys quick to shoot and look for dirty goals works for me.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Staal is gonna have a huge year. I think he'll put up similar pt totals as Eric.
I hope he does. I can't not like the kid. He was such a huge part of the Cup win.
I'm intrigued with Sutter being a RHS and being able to play wing. If he could ever round out his game as a net front guy or shot threat on the left boards, he could be our Kesler light.
I agree.

Jordan Staal didn't really have the skill set for the wing but I think Sutter actually might because of his skating, shooting etc. I think we'll have to develop him into at least a part time winger to keep him happy long-term. The wing is really his only ticket into the top 6 as long as Sid and Gino are around. I think that's a huge reason why Staal left.

vyktor

Jan 23, 2008
I hope he does. I can't not like the kid. He was such a huge part of the Cup win.

I agree.

Jordan Staal didn't really have the skill set for the wing but I think Sutter actually might because of his skating, shooting etc. I think we'll have to develop him into at least a part time winger to keep him happy long-term. The wing is really his only ticket into the top 6 as long as Sid and Gino are around. I think that's a huge reason why Staal left.

I'm not so sure we need to develop him as a wing, but I have been saying since we got him that his RHS and faceoff ability should put him on the ice in a lot of different situations. With that quick hands he showed in front of the net, there's no reason not to put him out there on the PP if the draw is in the right circle and have him go to the net instead of Kunitz.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

I agree.

He fits this team so well. If he wants to move to wing down the line, he certainly has the wheels.

I'd like to see him develop his game around the net. Be more aggressive and add some muscle. Get up to Geno's size in the 210 lb range.

His future is bright here.

As for Jeffrey, why can't we at least keep him as a 13th forward? Injuries will happen. Still say we're dumb to let him go b/c Adams is here. Sutter, Cooke, Dupuis, Glass, Vitale are all more than capable on the PK.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
By the way, the dude on the Canes board that complained about Staal is their board's troll from the comments I've seen. So to say they have people freaking out over there is a huge misrepresentation. I think this is a deal that both teams will look back and be very pleased with. I personally hope Staal tears it up in Carolina (so long as they don't beat us in the playoffs).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He fits this team so well. If he wants to move to wing down the line, he certainly has the wheels.

I'd like to see him develop his game around the net. Be more aggressive and add some muscle. Get up to Geno's size in the 210 lb range.

His future is bright here.

As for Jeffrey, why can't we at least keep him as a 13th forward? Injuries will happen. Still say we're dumb to let him go b/c Adams is here. Sutter, Cooke, Dupuis, Glass, Vitale are all more than capable on the PK.

Yeah I don't think Jeffrey is in the long term plans as his ideal role belongs to Mr Sutter but he needs to be kept this season as the 13th forward. We will see injuries and he is a great stop gap 3rd line center or winger in any of the top lines.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think we meet Carolina in the playoffs. God damn would that be epic. Staal matching up against Geno. Sutter against Eric.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
This. Wasn't a huge fan of the trade, I'm still not, for this exact reason. Hoping Staal is as good as YOU guys advertised, but I guess you guys know how good Sutter is now. Hopefully it ends up working out for both teams though!

You guys are going to love Jordan just as much as we will love Brandon. He will be great for you guys

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

That might never happen. Brandon has been trying to put on weight for his whole time in Carolina. He said many times that no matter how hard he tried, he can't put on weight. Granted, he's young still and that may change with age, but it is something that he has been trying to do for the past couple of years without success.

Even so, he's not afraid to be physical and mix it up in front of the net.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
This. Wasn't a huge fan of the trade, I'm still not, for this exact reason. Hoping Staal is as good as YOU guys advertised, but I guess you guys know how good Sutter is now. Hopefully it ends up working out for both teams though!

i think despite losing Sutter, you guys will see some magic with Jordan Staal centering a line with his brother. this is the opportunity he's been dreaming of in Pittsburgh: a shot at centering a top line. with Crosby and Malkin, he would never get that opportunity unless both got hurt.

a hungry, young Jordan Staal who may very well be ENTERING his prime in a few years is going to be a sight to see. you guys may have found a much needed piece to your team if he plays anything like he did in Pittsburgh. with his new role in Carolina, i can't imagine him NOT scoring more than he did in Pittsburgh.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Staal is a beast, you have nothing to worry about.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
Staal is an inconsistent forward who looks like a world beater one night and who can't hit an open net the next.

Vastly overrated. Rarely a game changer.

Maybe in his sophomore season?

Last season, the guy scored at an absolutely torrid pace while playing with Cooke and Kennedy with virtually no PP time. Moreover, throughout his career he's been about as defensively reliable a forward as there is in the NHL. I would classify Staal as the cream of the crop of "second tier" forwards in the NHL...

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
"Originally Posted by bluecowman
not good. it's pretty clear that brandon sutter is just as talented today as jordan staal. the difference is brandon sutter is still improving and finally being able to showcase and grow his offensive talent (which exceeds that of j staal). what's even more ridiculous is that our joke of a GM felt the need to trade Sutter AND a pick for J. Staal when J Staal would have come here in a year anyway at the end of his contract. You have basically come into this thread and tore open a wound that wasn't even close to healing."

I adore Sutter, but that sounds like some seriously entitled brat, who does not know a single thing about Jordan Staal.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Staal is an inconsistent forward who looks like a world beater one night and who can't hit an open net the next.

Over the last 2 seasons he has seriously upped his game/consistency level IMO. When given a top 6 role (due to injuries) his PPG went up and he produced at a 60 point pace. I have no doubt he will be a 60-70 point guy on the Canes.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com

Staal was given the opportunity to at least be the top center to help them get by Tampa in the 2011 playoffs and that didn't work out. Will be interesting to see if he can be that top guy in Carolina and help them win.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Staal was given the opportunity to at least be the top center to help them get by Tampa in the 2011 playoffs and that didn't work out. Will be interesting to see if he can be that top guy in Carolina and help them win.

He won't have to truly be the top guy there either with older Staal being the offensive leader on the 1st line and Jordan centering the 2nd. Against Tampa there was no Sid or Geno and he had to be the pure #1 and go to guy which is different.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
He won't have to truly be the top guy there either with older Staal being the offensive leader on the 1st line and Jordan centering the 2nd. Against Tampa there was no Sid or Geno and he had to be the pure #1 and go to guy which is different.

Top center comes with pressure to produce offensive numbers, he didn't have that playing behind Sid and Geno. I wouldn't be surprised that Brandon Sutter comes close to Jordan Staal's number of points.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Top center comes with pressure to produce offensive numbers, he didn't have that playing behind Sid and Geno. I wouldn't be surprised that Brandon Sutter comes close to Jordan Staal's number of points.

It was obviously a pressure he wanted and I think he will succeed. Time will tell.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The thing with Staal was that I always thought that his best role was as that Selke Calibre shut down center who STILL got you 25 goals, 30 assists. That is something different and valuable. When he focused on offense this past year the Selke caliber center part of his game took a hit. So the real question is not if he can score more. He can. But how much more and will the offset to the defensive side of his game be worth the cost? If you get 27 or 28 goals out of him at the cost of that part of his game, well a 27 or 28 goal center is still one of the better centers in the game, but will be a tier below. It will be interesting to see how this plays out now that he finally gets his chance.

Purves

Dec 23, 2012
RTP, USA
As a Pens fan in Raleigh, I LOVED the acquisition as I sat in CEC for the first time at the draft. Sutter always opened my eye with his intelligent play here.

I appreciate Jordan and everything he did for us (2009, game 4 SCF was one of the most significant goals in Pens history), but he wanted to live closer to his family. No biggie. I'll still always be thankful for what he did for us as an organization.

As another Pens fan in RTP; I lost sleep seeing Jordan go, but am now starting to feel that the trade will suit us just fine- although I must admit that I will miss telling every Canes fan that Pittsburgh has the best Staal brother... :D

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Staal was drafted not as a Selke caliber player. He was a big guy who could produce offense and was able to step right into the NHL.

I think he'd be wise to maintain his defensive game, but I wouldn't be surprised if he could surpass his brother offensively in due time.

Illinest

Jan 7, 2008
Harrisburg
I talked to my brother-in-law - a Philly fan - about the difference between Staal and Sutter. He thought it was a downgrade aside from the faceoffs.

Not to say that the trade was bad or that Sutter is bad but I think that Carolina probably got the best player in the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad