Mr. Brandon Sutter

ObsessedCreative*

202134_o.gif

WOW. WOW. WOW.

AMIRIGHT, guys?! I knew he was a very solid player, but if this is any indication (and I know this was an exhibition game) of the player he is now, all while still developing, the trade that brought him here just might look like a fleecing once again by shero!

The chemistry he and cooke already showed tonight looks to be mind blowing...

BRING ON THE SEASON! :handclap:

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Let's not get too excited over a scrimmage. He looked good, but Hell, Konstantin Koltsov had a hat trick in a pre-seaon game one year.

It didn't portend to much.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
It may surprise Pens fans how good he is but you could tell he was really good by the Canes fans sad reaction to losing him.

ObsessedCreative*

Mannnnn... a ton of their fans are still all pissed off and butt-hurt...

In response to me talking about how excited I was for B. Sutter here and asked how J. Staal was doing for them on the canes board.

"Originally Posted by bluecowman
not good. it's pretty clear that brandon sutter is just as talented today as jordan staal. the difference is brandon sutter is still improving and finally being able to showcase and grow his offensive talent (which exceeds that of j staal). what's even more ridiculous is that our joke of a GM felt the need to trade Sutter AND a pick for J. Staal when J Staal would have come here in a year anyway at the end of his contract. You have basically come into this thread and tore open a wound that wasn't even close to healing."

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Very very impressed, can't wait to see how he does this season.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah, except for the Orpik hit, the game looked only a little better than an All star game. So judging is spotty off of that.

That said, you did see some things that stood out. He just looked elite, his skating, shot, passing, but most of all he seemed to have that special quality that sets star players apart. The ice slows down for some players and they just see everything at once better than most. Sutter showed some of that tonight.

I only wish I had been at the game to focus on him so I could see the defensive side of his game more.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Sutter's greatest asset is his work ethic. in nearly 300 games in a Hurricanes sweater, I never once saw him slack off on a shift. Other than that, he's crazy fast (speed and acceleration), and has a pretty decent wrister that he's able to get off quickly. Only downside is he isn't very creative. It seemed like all his offense came off the rush, and he isn't the worlds greatest passer, but he isn't a slouch either. I think he's capable of putting up a lot more points if given the opportunity. He spent all of last season with Dwyer and Nodl for Christ sake. His sophomore season he actually spent time on the PP, and played with Ray Whitney for a chunk of time, and his stats speak for themselves, he was on pace for a 45 point season as a 20 year old defensive minded forward. There's untapped potential there, and I think he'd look pretty good on Malkin's wing.

On defense, he isn't overly physical, but makes up for that by always being in position to **** up the opposing teams plays. He has a knack for breaking up passes, being as tall as he is helps too, great wingspan, and really blocking shots. He was right at the top of the league for blocked shots and takeaways by forwards. He also VERY rarely takes penalites, which is amazing considering he was always matched up against the best forwards the other team had to offer.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Sutter's greatest asset is his work ethic. in nearly 300 games in a Hurricanes sweater, I never once saw him slack off on a shift. Other than that, he's crazy fast (speed and acceleration), and has a pretty decent wrister that he's able to get off quickly. Only downside is he isn't very creative. It seemed like all his offense came off the rush, and he isn't the worlds greatest passer, but he isn't a slouch either. I think he's capable of putting up a lot more points if given the opportunity. He spent all of last season with Dwyer and Nodl for Christ sake. His sophomore season he actually spent time on the PP, and played with Ray Whitney for a chunk of time, and his stats speak for themselves, he was on pace for a 45 point season as a 20 year old defensive minded forward. There's untapped potential there, and I think he'd look pretty good on Malkin's wing.

On defense, he isn't overly physical, but makes up for that by always being in position to **** up the opposing teams plays. He has a knack for breaking up passes, being as tall as he is helps too, great wingspan, and really blocking shots. He was right at the top of the league for blocked shots and takeaways by forwards. He also VERY rarely takes penalites, which is amazing considering he was always matched up against the best forwards the other team had to offer.

Thanks for coming over and sharing what you saw over the years. The perspective is appreciated.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

Definitely could see a lot of these things you described in the scrimmage tonight. Heck of a scouting report. Thanks. :)

ThatGuy

Dec 21, 2006

In response to me talking about how excited I was for B. Sutter here and asked how J. Staal was doing for them on the canes board.

not good. it's pretty clear that brandon sutter is just as talented today as jordan staal. the difference is brandon sutter is still improving and finally being able to showcase and grow his offensive talent (which exceeds that of j staal). what's even more ridiculous is that our joke of a GM felt the need to trade Sutter AND a pick for J. Staal when J Staal would have come here in a year anyway at the end of his contract. You have basically come into this thread and tore open a wound that wasn't even close to healing."

Judging from the thread you got that from, by "a ton" you mean "this one guy with 30 posts"

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Think he's going to be consistent 20-20 player with Cooke and Kennedy.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'll repost what I wrote in the Black/White thread as I didn't see this thread first. First off though, that one poster you quoted "bluecowman" is very new to the Canes boards and posts some of the strangest stuff. I wouldn't use him to represent the fan base. I wouldn't characterize the fan base as "butt hurt", but Sutter was universally liked and most fans were sorry to see him leave.

As a Canes fan, I was confident Sutter would quickly become a fan favorite in Pittsburgh. He was one of the most universally liked among Canes fans and while we are glad to have Jordan on the team, it was painful to see Sutter go.

He has great speed (which you are now seeing), so that's not something new for this year and he also has very under-rated hands / play-making skills. As a 21 year old, when he was brought up and used in an all around role (not shut-down), he had 21 goals and 40 points in 72 games. That season, he saw significant PP time and had 5G/5A on the PP. I had hoped he would get more offensive / PP opportunities in Carolina, but the coaches felt he was too important in the shut-down role, which he excelled at.

Since that 40 point season, he has become a much BETTER player even though his scoring was down as he was used in a shut-down role without any offensive talent on his wings (Dwyer and Nodl). He had the smartest hockey IQ on the team. He's always in the right spot, always makes the right play and rarely makes a mistake and you can consistently count on him night after night...he doesn't take nights or shifts off. Some may claim he isn't always aggressive enough (taking the puck in the zone) and will comment that he sometimes just dump it, but that's because he's smart enough to know when to push and when to dump it and re-group or get off the ice

A great player to have on any team and we were really was sad to see him go, but you guys will love him and I have a reason to root for the Pens now.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I think his speed will be great for this team. Should be a high paced line with him and Kennedy flying around.

Great return for Staal considering the situation.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Rutherford really didn't want to get rid of him but he had no choice if he wanted Staal, now we now why he wanted he really wanted to keep Brandon. We had the best 3rd line center in the game and despite trading him we still have the best 3rd line center in the game

JWells16

Nov 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
As a Pens fan in Raleigh, I LOVED the acquisition as I sat in CEC for the first time at the draft. Sutter always opened my eye with his intelligent play here.

I appreciate Jordan and everything he did for us (2009, game 4 SCF was one of the most significant goals in Pens history), but he wanted to live closer to his family. No biggie. I'll still always be thankful for what he did for us as an organization.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

Even if that were true the Canes were wise to avoid a bidding war. There's a Staal in NYC as well and that team has deep pockets and a history of overpaying players. He may have still signed with the Canes but chances are the price tag would have been significantly higher.

wolffy66

Dec 16, 2009
I see some people saying he isnt a great playmaker but it wouldnt be hard to be a better playmaker than J Staal. Jordan was great at what he did but hopefully we can a little better passing on the third line. That might help cushion the blow of J Staal being the better goal scorer and losing him.

That was a very nice pass on cookies goal. Hope to see some more of it.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Careful, guys like Sutter, Cooke, Dupuis, Kennedy always look good in training camp scrims or in early preseason games because it takes a little while for elite skilled players to get their timing and rhythm back. Not taking anything away from Sutter but a high quality, north-south NHLer is gonna star in these scrims because guys like Crosby, Neal (not geno) are only going 60% and have to work on their timing and puck poise.

Just be careful, I've seen plenty of quality third liners dominate scrims and early training camp just based on the simple game they play.

Also, Jordan Staal is going to be fine in Carolina. Quality 30 goal men who can play tremendous defense don't grow on trees.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Rutherford really didn't want to get rid of him but he had no choice if he wanted Staal, now we now why he wanted he really wanted to keep Brandon. We had the best 3rd line center in the game and despite trading him we still have the best 3rd line center in the game

This. Wasn't a huge fan of the trade, I'm still not, for this exact reason. Hoping Staal is as good as YOU guys advertised, but I guess you guys know how good Sutter is now. Hopefully it ends up working out for both teams though!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad