Mr. Bergevin.... I Salute You

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What is the thing that make on 50 pointers, if not making 50 point? In fact was make Weise outperform 80% of the rest of NHL while playing so little...

As a fan, we need to start to believe in the asset of the team! Their successes may not last... but why would they not? We don't know yet, no one is! I though we had a good roster last year... We finished 2nd in the season, habs were beaten by a cup finalist! This year, I believe it's a even better team... With the current result.... It's even better than I was inspecting!

Currently we have 10 players in the top 100.... 10!!!!! I don't want it to stop!

I don't know the Future... But I will not believe that with the current result, only slow down are to be inspected

GO habs GO!

Ya sure, you can believe in Santa Clause too if you want.
Just to give you a little perspective, TB had 4 players with over 60pts last season.
There's nothing wrong in saying we won't finish with eight 60pts+ players, or that Weise won't score 40 goals. Nothing wrong with being realistic.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
Ya sure, you can believe in Santa Clause too if you want.
Just to give you a little perspective, TB had 4 players with over 60pts last season.
There's nothing wrong in saying we won't finish with eight 60pts+ players, or that Weise won't score 40 goals. Nothing wrong with being realistic.

Nothing wrong in believing that we have a amazing team either don't you think?

As a fan, I'm no asking for the perfection but a legitimate chance for the ultimate goal of the NHL, the Stanley cup.

We had that chance last year

Let's hope we have a better chance this year!

At less we have a hell of a good start!

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Assuming of course that the rest of the group up front keeps performing as they have.
Going by the current pace, we have 8 players set to score over 60pts. That doesn't include Weise who is on pace to score 40+ goals, and our 4th line center on 50pts.
It's just not going to happen.

So we can't operate with the idea that this is going to continue and not worry much about that big hole on the top 6. It is a big issue and it does need addressing.
Thankfully, we are winning and things are currently going well, so we don't need to rush anything, but we can't wait for things to settle back down.
We need to be proactive not reactive.

Where I do agree though is that we are contenders regardless. We have some pretty good depth up front with good two way players, we have one of the best top defensive pairing leading one of the best D squads, and we have not only the best goalie but best player in the NHL in nets. So yes, any team with that is going to be contending unless something terrible goes wrong.
We can't forget that we actually outscored TB in the POs last year at ES, and we're even better this year.
But it's still important to fix that hole.

A top-six winger would definitely help a playoff push, but even more important would be a solid PP in the playoffs. As you said, last year's issue wasn't 5-on-5 scoring, it was the Habs' terrible powerplay. It was the single biggest weakness against Tampa. Right now our PP looks great, but will it carry over into May and June? No way to know, but it's possible by adjusting our special-teams system we've already done what we hoped a top forward would do -- add scoring. I'll take the forward too, but even if our PP regresses to top-12 we'd be way ahead of last year.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
A top-six winger would definitely help a playoff push, but even more important would be a solid PP in the playoffs. As you said, last year's issue wasn't 5-on-5 scoring, it was the Habs' terrible powerplay. It was the single biggest weakness against Tampa. Right now our PP looks great, but will it carry over into May and June? No way to know, but it's possible by adjusting our special-teams system we've already done what we hoped a top forward would do -- add scoring. I'll take the forward too, but even if our PP regresses to top-12 we'd be way ahead of last year.

Yes of course, a fixed PP would help. There's no way to know at all if our special teams or ES play will follow through in the POs. Maybe we play a team that finds a way to counter us. Maybe we face Ottawa, a team who's goalie seems to hold a spell on our offense. Really, as you said, impossible to know or even discuss really.
That's why it's important to improve as much as possible in order to put as many odds as possible on our side.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Nothing wrong in believing that we have a amazing team either don't you think?

As a fan, I'm no asking for the perfection but a legitimate chance for the ultimate goal of the NHL, the Stanley cup.

We had that chance last year

Let's hope we have a better chance this year!

At less we have a hell of a good start!

I think we have a great team and are contenders for the cup. Not sure what this has to do with anything I was saying though.

I was discussing the importance of fixing the 2nd line and addressing an obvious need.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
I think we have a great team and are contenders for the cup. Not sure what this has to do with anything I was saying though.

I was discussing the importance of fixing the 2nd line and addressing an obvious need.

That the magic of it, we can be better! And if we add anything, we still start from being the top 5 of any important stats available... and first in the league , points, GF, GA... On ice, for me, it a beauty.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The DSP and Weise acquisitions look really good.

It takes an excellent scouting staff to identify the castoffs on other teams that have a legitimate chance to improve.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Assuming of course that the rest of the group up front keeps performing as they have.
Going by the current pace, we have 8 players set to score over 60pts. That doesn't include Weise who is on pace to score 40+ goals, and our 4th line center on 50pts.
It's just not going to happen.

So we can't operate with the idea that this is going to continue and not worry much about that big hole on the top 6. It is a big issue and it does need addressing.
Thankfully, we are winning and things are currently going well, so we don't need to rush anything, but we can't wait for things to settle back down.
We need to be proactive not reactive.

Where I do agree though is that we are contenders regardless. We have some pretty good depth up front with good two way players, we have one of the best top defensive pairing leading one of the best D squads, and we have not only the best goalie but best player in the NHL in nets. So yes, any team with that is going to be contending unless something terrible goes wrong.
We can't forget that we actually outscored TB in the POs last year at ES, and we're even better this year.
But it's still important to fix that hole.

I don't expect the current production from some guys to last, but at the same time others will probably step up as well. Weise is on pace for 40 goals, but Galchenyuk is on pace for 10, neither will finish close to those numbers.

At the end of the day we were a contender last year with a terrible offence, so even though we still have a hole, even just being middle of the pack offensively makes us a very dangerous team. Bergevin should be trying to find that top-6 guy, but I wouldn't say it's important simply because we are a contender without adding that player.

24Cups

Aug 2, 2005
The DSP and Weise acquisitions look really good.

It takes an excellent scouting staff to identify the castoffs on other teams that have a legitimate chance to improve.

Condo wasn't drafted and not close to the NHL before Dudley spotted him and gave home a shot. Our professional scouting got a million times better under Dudley.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Bumping this thread up cause i think it's time for Bergevin to do something.

As posted earlier in this thread, Bergevin handcuffed himself. Now it's time to shake things up so he can get some freedom.

Bergevin might not want to let go of Tinordi so easily, but sitting in the press box doesn't help his team, Tinordi's value or Tinordi's future. It eat some of the Cap Space and because of that extra contract he can't call up anybody right now and i think it would a good time to try out some of our prospect on the RW of our 3rd line.

(I'm saying Tinordi cause even with a Left D injured, we saw that Pateryn is ahead of him).

There's also Semin who we could try to move, but that's a different story. Easy to say, harder to do.

I just think it's time for Bergevin to let his team called up somebody but for doing that, he must move a contract.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just rying to understand how Bergevin may have handcuffed himself. He has reasonable contracts for the most part, has some cap flexibility, lots of low risk/low cost moves. PAP's buyout is a minor inconvenience. If it's about Tinordi, no doubt he's tried to move him but he probably didn't on account of not being to land a favorable deal.

Dunno, seems to me Bergevin is in the best possible position. Team doing well, doing great on the injury front, no hurry to deal right away.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Just rying to understand how Bergevin may have handcuffed himself. He has reasonable contracts for the most part, has some cap flexibility, lots of low risk/low cost moves. PAP's buyout is a minor inconvenience. If it's about Tinordi, no doubt he's tried to move him but he probably didn't on account of not being to land a favorable deal.

Dunno, seems to me Bergevin is in the best possible position. Team doing well, doing great on the injury front, no hurry to deal right away.

Well i said Tinordi mainly cause Tinordi is sitting in the press box and there's no ice-time for him in the near future and that's not good or helping anybody. If Tinordi doesn't had to go throught waivers, he would be in St-John 100% guarantee.....and then MB would be a free to tryout some of the Hudon, Holloway or McCarron who are playing great hockey down there.

Bergevin handcuffed himself in terms of contract....he carry one too many on the roster and can't do anything right now. it's not a critical situation but it need to be address to see if there's a solution in St-John.

It would be a great time to try somebody else on that Galchenyuk's line.
Can't do it.....can't call anybody. Too much contract sitting in the press box that doesn't help the team.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Well i said Tinordi mainly cause Tinordi is sitting in the press box and there's no ice-time for him in the near future and that's not good or helping anybody. If Tinordi doesn't had to go throught waivers, he would be in St-John 100% guarantee.....and then MB would be a free to tryout some of the Hudon, Holloway or McCarron who are playing great hockey down there.

Bergevin handcuffed himself in terms of contract....he carry one too many on the roster and can't do anything right now. it's not a critical situation but it need to be address to see if there's a solution in St-John.

Can't do it.....can't call anybody. Too much contract sitting in the press box that doesn't help the team.

he can waive Semin, call up a youngster. He can trade. The team is doing very well, despite losing Price. He has cap space, picks and prospects, and solid roster players that can be replaced by depth to upgrade where needed (Top 6 RW...we know this is the real need)

he's in a good spot. But, I agree 100%, he needs to make the move soon.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
he can waive Semin, call up a youngster. He can trade. The team is doing very well, despite losing Price. He has cap space, picks and prospects, and solid roster players that can be replaced by depth to upgrade where needed (Top 6 RW...we know this is the real need)

he's in a good spot. But, I agree 100%, he needs to make the move soon.

Why does he have to make a move soon?

The team is 14-3-2 and almost 10 points up on every divisional opponent. They are currently tied for first overall in the NHL.

This isn't the time to make reactionary trades, this is stay the course time. They're winning without the best goaltender in the world/most valuable player.

Trades will come and Bergevin always makes deals to improve. He's likely got a few proposals he's working on now but he's patient. I doubt you'll see anything change until after Xmas - barring injuries.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

The team is 14-3-2 and almost 10 points up on every divisional opponent. They are currently tied for first overall in the NHL.

This isn't the time to make reactionary trades, this is stay the course time. They're winning without the best goaltender in the world/most valuable player.

Trades will come and Bergevin always makes deals to improve. He's likely got a few proposals he's working on now but he's patient. I doubt you'll see anything change until after Xmas - barring injuries.

We're not talking making a major move, we're talking about something small, very minor. Just free up one contract roster spot to be able to call up somebody from the minors.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He can't cut Kassian, doubt he cuts Semin, won't move Tinordi... The only guy left is Gilbert and I doubt he's moved either. Just my opinion.
Emelin has value and he could be moved as part of a package for a forward. That would free up cap space and depending on who we could get it might make sense.

The only real reason not to do it is because it's always good to have depth on defense. If we have injury problems, we're in trouble back there without the guys we have.

That being said, if Max goes down we're toast as well. We need another scorer.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015

by soon, I am talking aout before the TDL. Not next summer. And I do believe I mentioned how the team is doing without Price and that the need is for a top 6 RW and not to blow up the team, but to use futures and an expendable roster player to upgrade.

As for changes before Christmas. I have a gut feeling that Semin will be waived and a couple IceCaps will get a few games each on Galchenyuk's wing before any trade were to materialize. Because, as we both have said. The team has scoring depth right now, the team is also winning right now without Price, so there is no rush. That said, do we think MB is certain that the team has what it needs in the playoffs with those youngsters (who may produce well with Galch, but lack that playoff pedrigree MB is likely looking for)? That's why I expect a trade before the TDL.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I think waiting until the TDL while Semin/Byron/Flynn play musical chairs on our second line is not a smart move.

Calling up Holloway (who I'm not convinced is a top 6 player) or McCarron (who is developing nicely) aren't sure bets.

We have assets to make a move. This is the time to do it. Galchenyuk needs a bonafide winger, it's obvious.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

Millhouse40 is basically saying that we can't call up a player until we drop, waive or trade a roster player seeing as how we are at the roster limit. A decision needs to be made by MB.

My guess is Semin is the easy choice. He didn't cost the team anything and isn't in the teams long term plans.

I think waiting until the TDL while Semin/Byron/Flynn play musical chairs on our second line is not a smart move.

Calling up Holloway (who I'm not convinced is a top 6 player) or McCarron (who is developing nicely) aren't sure bets.

We have assets to make a move. This is the time to do it. Galchenyuk needs a bonafide winger, it's obvious.

Unfortunately I think we are stuck with playing musical chairs until TDL. As per Bergebin's MO, he will wait until the last second to pick up the cheapest available option on the market.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Millhouse40 is basically saying that we can't call up a player until we drop, waive or trade a roster player seeing as how we are at the roster limit. A decision needs to be made by MB.

Yeah, got that from his reply. However, as you state, Bergevin isn't exactly in a tough position since he can waive Semin, for the reasons you gave.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Emelin has value and he could be moved as part of a package for a forward. That would free up cap space and depending on who we could get it might make sense.

The only real reason not to do it is because it's always good to have depth on defense. If we have injury problems, we're in trouble back there without the guys we have.

The only reason not to move Emelin is that we would need to replace his 20-22 minutes per game for less than $4M.

Riiiiiiight!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

He'll do it when (I'm pretty sure it soon will not longer be 'if') he gives up on Semin and waives him.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site

Emelin has been part of a strong 2nd pairing and a better partner for Petry than Beaulieu has been. There is no one in the system at the moment to fill that role but go ahead fill one hole and create another. That doesn't seem like progress to me.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
looks yet again to have struck out in the attempt to add talent to our top-6

Petry trade/signing gives him 1 good move involving talent-positions...

Galch, the best offensive talent he inherited, still hasn't been given any established top-6 talent to play with consistently...

not good enough as far as managing the top-end talent going on 4-years on the job

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad