Mr. Bergevin.... I Salute You

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
It's very hard to come up with another GM in the league that has transformed his team so quickly and completely as Bergy.

Sure there are a few signing that you can pick at, but nothing that has really strangled the team. No Lecavilier or Pheneuf bonehead moves.

But lately, the talent he has acquired for so cheap and the way that talent has performed, well it's been outstanding.

The only exception and I really don't consider a huge loss was the prospect we lost for Vanek a few years back.

His other moves, simply brilliant that virtually nobody could image would have such an impact to the team. Of course kudos also go out to his pro scouting staff for finding these gems and more importantly having the vision to see how they "fit" into the way we want to play the game.

- Replace a well loved and respected Malhotra with Mitchell
- Bring Flynn on as no more than an after thought by most.
- Bring and keep a top 4 Dman like Petry
- Bring in Fleshman for a bargin
- Add Semin for little to no risk and I think this will pay off as the year goes on.
- Find Byron who is making the Flames look foolish very quickly.

All this for giving up virtually nothing! All the trade deadline deals have really added value and with the exception of Vanek, are STILL paying off.

The bonus: providing time for our younger prospects to develop without having to rush them, so when Carr, Sherbak, McCarron, Hudon and other are ready, they are REALLY ready to play.

There will be some tough stretches this year, but seeing what this management team has done .... well I salute you Mr. Bergevin and your team!

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
He's been good at putting meat around the bone... But I can't call it transforming the team when all of the current core was already either in place or within the organization as he took over the GM's job. Petry is as close as it gets as far as "core" players Bergevin brought into the fold.

I'm generally happy with his careful approach. I don't like throwing young assets around hoping to go on a Cinderella run and so far, the only deadline additions he has made were smart moves in which he didn't liquidate high end assets.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
It's very hard to come up with another GM in the league that has transformed his team so quickly and completely as Bergy.

Sure there are a few signing that you can pick at, but nothing that has really strangled the team. No Lecavilier or Pheneuf bonehead moves.

But lately, the talent he has acquired for so cheap and the way that talent has performed, well it's been outstanding.

The only exception and I really don't consider a huge loss was the prospect we lost for Vanek a few years back.

His other moves, simply brilliant that virtually nobody could image would have such an impact to the team. Of course kudos also go out to his pro scouting staff for finding these gems and more importantly having the vision to see how they "fit" into the way we want to play the game.

- Replace a well loved and respected Malhotra with Mitchell
- Bring Flynn on as no more than an after thought by most.
- Bring and keep a top 4 Dman like Petry
- Bring in Fleshman for a bargin
- Add Semin for little to no risk and I think this will pay off as the year goes on.
- Find Byron who is making the Flames look foolish very quickly.

All this for giving up virtually nothing! All the trade deadline deals have really added value and with the exception of Vanek, are STILL paying off.

The bonus: providing time for our younger prospects to develop without having to rush them, so when Carr, Sherbak, McCarron, Hudon and other are ready, they are REALLY ready to play.

There will be some tough stretches this year, but seeing what this management team has done .... well I salute you Mr. Bergevin and your team!

Just to put things in perspective, you just pointed out that he did minor moves and got Petry for cheap. This is barely anything.

I don't want to say that Bergevin didn't do a good job. It's just that the young core got mature and heck, they're better than we expected. This is why the habs are so good, there's really nothing else that needs to be said about our success.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
He's been good at putting meat around the bone... But I can't call it transforming the team when all of the current core was already either in place or within the organization as he took over the GM's job. Petry is as close as it gets as far as "core" players Bergevin brought into the fold.

I'm generally happy with his careful approach. I don't like throwing young assets around hoping to go on a Cinderella run and so far, the only deadline additions he has made were smart moves in which he didn't liquidate high end assets.

He's been decent at trade deadline deals aka the Petry acquisition and Collberg for Vanek...wouldn't mind him making a pitch for another UFA this year for one of our overrated prospects destined to bust a la Vanek

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I know it sounds ridiculous but the most impressive thing about Bergy is his patience. He's made very good signings and even better trades but overall it's his ability to be patient and stick to the plan. It's underrated.

Obviously, he inherited some good players and being patient when you suck can be seen as a bad thing. Luckily, Bergevin's character was the perfect fit for where we were positioned at the time.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
He has done a good job so far. With that said, he needs to take that step and acquire some pieces for the second line. Eller- Galchenyuk- Semin just doesn't look like it will cut it, and I wouldn't really feel too comfortable relying on the DD line to continue their solid production in order to be considered a 2nd line.

As it is, the D is set, the goaltending is set, the bottom 6 is set. Barring any injuries, all that remains is improving Galchenyuk's line. Ladd and Vrbata would be my targets.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
just cant believe this guy gets any flack, ever. he's a genius and has a great team around him, he was molded very carefully by the chicago organization too and were benefitting amazingly thanks to it

he scared me that time with the subban contract/arbitration... i thought i was losing my mind. but bergy simply trying to keep the team cap friendly as much as possible, and i just cannot blame him for that.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
The #fireBergevin was here not so long ago

I understood Fire Therrien because I didn't think he would be able to operate a coaching change like he did this year. But firing Bergevin was always outlandish. Dude completely changed the team's culture which was a gigantic weakness when he came in. Having transformational leadership in a business is a luxury and we should cherish it.

I know a lot of the key pieces were there from the past administration but I wonder if we could ever dream of winning a cup under Gauthier. Bergevin brought the toolbox for the tools Gauthier left.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
just cant believe this guy gets any flack, ever. he's a genius and has a great team around him, he was molded very carefully by the chicago organization too and were benefitting amazingly thanks to it

he scared me that time with the subban contract/arbitration... i thought i was losing my mind. but bergy simply trying to keep the team cap friendly as much as possible, and i just cannot blame him for that.

It says a lot about what type of man he is when Subban defended him after arbitration. Guess he's able to negotiate respectfully with consideration for the other party.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
October 2014 roster
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2014020001
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2014020166

compare to

October 2015 roster...
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2015020166

On 18 players 6 have change (only 1/3...). And mainly the bottom 6... and that bottom 6 is production at a ridicule rate compare to any other past years!

Bergevin said it so many time:
"Core and star players are coming from the draft picks, hard to trade for them"

He had them, he didn't trade them, he just built around them.

He have scouts around the ligue... he knows is stuff... and it shows

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

You're right that Bergevin inherited a core, as do most GMs. But GMs are judged on not only who they add, but who they keep. Have the Habs lost anyone valuable while Bergevin has been here? Has he traded away a core or potential core player? Honestly, I can't think of one departing player who I'd want back.

Figaro95*

You're right that Bergevin inherited a core, as do most GMs. But GMs are judged on not only who they add, but who they keep. Have the Habs lost anyone valuable while Bergevin has been here? Has he traded away a core or potential core player? Honestly, I can't think of one departing player who I'd want back.

Ryan White

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
One of his most solid moves was hiring Waite imo. Price was always a beast but I was getting worried about him under Melanson's tutelage. The report Sportsnet did on him the other night was really good, great move by Bergy.

Also, we have to have the best pro scouting in the league now, Bargainbin can't seem to do wrong.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
More like thank Timmins and Gainey for Price, Pacioretty, Subban, Plekanec, Gallagher, Beaulieu, Emelin, Markov, Eller, DD.

Thats right. Of the core players, only two of them Bergevin brought in.. Galchenyuk and Petry.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
More like thank Timmins and Gainey for Price, Pacioretty, Subban, Plekanec, Gallagher, Beaulieu, Emelin, Markov, Eller, DD.

Thats right. Of the core players, only two of them Bergevin brought in.. Galchenyuk and Petry.

Youre forgetting Gauthier...

Halak or Price... He knew who to pick!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

He's done a lot of good. His biggest criticism is his failure to improve the top 6.
I personally am not a fan of how they've developed Galchenyuk either, but that's more subjective.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Youre forgetting Gauthier...

Halak or Price... He knew who to pick!

For sure.

For all the hate Gainey and Gauthier got... I mean. I hated the attitude we had when Gauthier was here, that was a loser mentality and he did do some stupid things (Cammy...) but all in all, it's HIS team and it's Gainey's team.

People are acting like Bergevin didn't land on the freaking buffet.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
For sure.

For all the hate Gainey and Gauthier got... I mean. I hated the attitude we had when Gauthier was here, that was a loser mentality and he did do some stupid things (Cammy...) but all in all, it's HIS team and it's Gainey's team.

People are acting like Bergevin didn't land on the freaking buffet.

Bergy is doing a good job to keep the team with its head way above the water, but he hasn't really contributed to the core of it yet, Galchenyuk is still a maybe and yes Petry is good, but we have to land that winger that can bring us one or multiple cups.... Scherbak... :dunno:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Then again, he didn't really have to make tough calls on these guys either. Not in my mind, anyway.

I'd like Sekac back, although I'm happy with the way DSP has picked his game up this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad