Proposal: Moving up in the draft

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Your right, BPA is always the choice in drafting. To me I am just not sold on Fabbri as the skilled difference maker compared to others who are projected to go in and around the 21st spot. Skill for sure over size, but a player that can will the puck into the net with size at center, seems a better fit. Looking at Hitch's system, and managements desire to develop and hold draft picks, there's better options than Fabbri.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Your right, BPA is always the choice in drafting. To me I am just not sold on Fabbri as the skilled difference maker compared to others who are projected to go in and around the 21st spot. Skill for sure over size, but a player that can will the puck into the net with size at center, seems a better fit. Looking at Hitch's system, and managements desire to develop and hold draft picks, there's better options than Fabbri.

At 21, I highly doubt it. He's small but he's fast, he's agile, and he's very smart. He's going to score in the NHL and if he's there at 21, I'd be all over him. He's not going to be there at 21, though.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
I'm hypothesizing and projecting here, so bear with me... If we do get Fabbri and he turns out to be a top six guy, ( I know, not a given), and Rattie makes the NHL and also becomes a top six, (also not a given), that gives us Fabbri, Rattie and Schwartz in our top six in a couple of years. Is anybody else concened that makes our projected top six a little...small?

I would agree I also think size is important.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm hypothesizing and projecting here, so bear with me... If we do get Fabbri and he turns out to be a top six guy, ( I know, not a given), and Rattie makes the NHL and also becomes a top six, (also not a given), that gives us Fabbri, Rattie and Schwartz in our top six in a couple of years. Is anybody else concened that makes our projected top six a little...small?

You're not constructing lines, you're developing players. The general manager builds the team, but not through the draft alone. Its better to have three "A" players and then trade one for a more suitable piece, than to try and adjust your draft to some imagined line projections several years into the future.

So, no, I'm not worried even though I agree with you that they're all a little smaller. I think the Blues should get the best players they can.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
You're not constructing lines, you're developing players. The general manager builds the team, but not through the draft alone. Its better to have three "A" players and then trade one for a more suitable piece, than to try and adjust your draft to some imagined line projections several years into the future.

So, no, I'm not worried even though I agree with you that they're all a little smaller. I think the Blues should get the best players they can.

true to a certain extent, though many people want the blues to draft a center because thats a need. Would you take a winger or dman over a center because they are a better player? I know 21 is really too late of a pick to determine objective "betterness". Just saying there are some wingers I'd take if available over some centers that have been mentioned

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Hey guys, new to the NHL draft, so my question about this team is. Do the Blues choose the best player available when their number is called, or do they choose the best Center available? Seeing how that's our glaring need, and we really don't even have any decent NHL caliber Centers in the farm system.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Hey guys, new to the NHL draft, so my question about this team is. Do the Blues choose the best player available when their number is called, or do they choose the best Center available? Seeing how that's our glaring need, and we really don't even have any decent NHL caliber Centers in the farm system.

This is easy to answer, but very hard to predict looking at the draftable players before the draft unfolds. IF The Blues see that a player on their board drops unduly down to their pick position, and to them, his value is clearly higher than the centre they would have picked among several possible choices of equal value, they will pick the centre over any options of other positions. Otherwise, they will choose the best player available.

If there is no clear cut, obvious gap between any candidates at a given pick position, The Blues will pick the centre. Unlike among the top 3 to 5 picks, at pick 21, probably there will be little difference in the gauged value of any of the potential choices.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
This is easy to answer, but very hard to predict looking at the draftable players before the draft unfolds. IF The Blues see that a player on their board drops unduly down to their pick position, and to them, his value is clearly higher than the centre they would have picked among several possible choices of equal value, they will pick the centre over any options of other positions. Otherwise, they will choose the best player available.

If there is no clear cut, obvious gap between any candidates at a given pick position, The Blues will pick the centre. Unlike among the top 3 to 5 picks, at pick 21, probably there will be little difference in the gauged value of any of the potential choices.

Pretty much this. By the time these guys make an impact in the NHL, nobody knows what the team will look like. By then, we may have a surplus of centers and a lack of quality wingers. I remember reading the 2011 draft thread on this board and people saying that we shouldn't draft a center because we have so many on the NHL team and a couple good ones in the pipeline. That may sound ridiculous now given how those "good ones" have turned out, but it wasn't uncommon thinking at the time. I say pick the best available forward at 21 and 33, regardless the position. Defense is our strongest unit, and we have several prospects(Schmaltz, Vanelli, Parayko, Edmundson, Hakanpaa etc.) that appear to have a good chance at NHL futures. I would be surprised if at least 3 of them are not NHLers. Forwards we have Jaskin that looks like he will be a full time NHLer soon(once he works on his skating), and Rattie who looks like a solid bet to eventually make an impact, but could still realistically bust. After that, not really anyone of note. If the best forward is a winger, take him. We need skill. If he starts pushing for a roster spot, trade him(or a winger that's currently on the team) for a center. With that said, if at 21 there is a Dman that is by far the best player available, take him. I hope that doesn't happen, but having too many good Dmen is never a bad thing. Teams are always looking for Dmen via trade.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
Unlike among the top 3 to 5 picks, at pick 21, probably there will be little difference in the gauged value of any of the potential choices.

Well stated. :nod:

I couldn't do better myself (i think i tried in a different thread).

It is exciting that the blues are definitely taking a forward in the first round this year! The immediate reward is higher, especially with a lot of size in the draft... yet i understand the desire for Fabbri, a smaller, skilled dangler? Either way, with a pick outside the top 10, knowing a forward is the target makes me excited for the draft. Especially as a blues fan

EDIT:
^^ at matty mo above, you make good points that I agree with. I don't think there will be a D man that is by far the best player with the 21st pick. Thanks for bringing up recent drafts that touched on the relevant topic, though

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Well stated. :nod:

I couldn't do better myself (i think i tried in a different thread).

It is exciting that the blues are definitely taking a forward in the first round this year! The immediate reward is higher, especially with a lot of size in the draft... yet i understand the desire for Fabbri, a smaller, skilled dangler? Either way, with a pick outside the top 10, knowing a forward is the target makes me excited for the draft. Especially as a blues fan

Welp, you've done it now! I'm copying and pasting this post when the Blues take a Dman at 21 and at 33 and I will publicly shame you!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad