Proposal: Moving up in the draft

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I was thinking maybe we could package our 1st and some of our many defence prospects to move up in the draft, what do you guys think

Well, sure, but it depends on who we are targeting. Obviously we won't move up for a d-man, and I don't think our 1st plus a d- man prospect will get us in the top 5. I would be willing to move any d prospect not named Schmaltz and Parayko to get a highly touted forward who dropped for some reason, such as Ritchie or Fabbri.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Moving up for the sake of moving up is pointless. I've said going into the last few drafts that we should have been pushing hard to move up for Hertl, Grigorenko and Nichushkin. If there is someone with really high end potential that drops outside the top 10, then we should be looking to make a trade.

I'm not as up on this draft as in past years, but I'm not sure that the player you are likely to get at 14 or 15 is going to have much more upside than at 21. Again, depends who falls and what our scouts think.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Fabbri is filthy. Would love to see him and rattie together in the AHL then come up to the NHL together

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I would be more interested in trading both of our 2nds to move into the early 20s. Two early 20 picks would be good, IMO. Help replenish our system.

I also think we could see Berglund or MSP for another 1st or prospects.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Fabbri is filthy. Would love to see him and rattie together in the AHL then come up to the NHL together

I doubt we see them in the AHL together. As a CHL player, Fabbri can't play in the AHL until 2016-17. If Rattie is still in the AHL at that point, something has gone wrong.

Dumb transfer rules aside, I would be pretty happy if the Blues get Fabbri. I usually wait until the end of the Cup Final to do draft research, but what I have seen of him has looked really impressive.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
No thanks to moving up. We need both quality and quantity in our prospect pools. I would only move up if one of the top 5 players on our board falls to 12-15 and we can move up for our 1st and Edmonton's 2nd/mid level prospect. I honestly like the idea of moving back from 21 to 27-30 to pick up an extra 2nd either this year or next. Picks 20-45 are all around the same level. I'd rather have 3 of them than 1 guy slightly better than the rest.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
detroit likes to trade down for variety of reasons.

they have the #15 pick. fabbri or mccann could be available there.

so EDM 2nd rounder, your 1st for DRW 1st (15th ovr.)?

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
detroit likes to trade down for variety of reasons.

they have the #15 pick. fabbri or mccann could be available there.

so EDM 2nd rounder, your 1st for DRW 1st (15th ovr.)?

No Thanks. I would rather have two picks then move up 6 spots or so. If it was our 2nd rounder, then I would be good with that, but there is little difference between players at 15 and 21.

But there could be a big difference between the player at 33 and the player at 51.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
No thanks to moving up. We need both quality and quantity in our prospect pools. I would only move up if one of the top 5 players on our board falls to 12-15 and we can move up for our 1st and Edmonton's 2nd/mid level prospect. I honestly like the idea of moving back from 21 to 27-30 to pick up an extra 2nd either this year or next. Picks 20-45 are all around the same level. I'd rather have 3 of them than 1 guy slightly better than the rest.

If there's an opportunity to get a difference maker like Fabbri, than we should take it. At this point we can trade up in the first by giving up EDM's 2nd and still have the 2nd of our own. Ideally we could trade our second and move to the back of the round and pick up and extra third or 4th.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
If there's an opportunity to get a difference maker like Fabbri, than we should take it. At this point we can trade up in the first by giving up EDM's 2nd and still have the 2nd of our own. Ideally we could trade our second and move to the back of the round and pick up and extra third or 4th.

How convinced are you that Rob Fabbri is a difference maker given his size?

Sorry, but I just don't see anybody in this draft that I really think is a legit can't miss "difference maker". All of the players in this draft have question marks, including the top 3. IMO you're as likely to get a good player at 21 as you are at #1 or #40. IMO this draft just isn't worth giving up picks in. It's a total crapshoot and your best bet is to attack it with quantity of picks. Count me against the move up strategy. Nothing in this draft entices me enough to do so.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
How convinced are you that Rob Fabbri is a difference maker given his size?

Sorry, but I just don't see anybody in this draft that I really think is a legit can't miss "difference maker". All of the players in this draft have question marks, including the top 3. IMO you're as likely to get a good player at 21 as you are at #1 or #40. IMO this draft just isn't worth giving up picks in. It's a total crapshoot and your best bet is to attack it with quantity of picks. Count me against the move up strategy. Nothing in this draft entices me enough to do so.

I think Fabbri will be a very good player(many of the things said about Fabbri were said about Schwartz in his draft year) but I'm not sure how far I'd move up to get him. If he's there at 21, I would be upset if the Blues passed on him. I think this draft is better than people have been saying. There isn't that marquee name at the top like Mackinnon, Stamkos, Tavaras etc. but there are plenty of very good players(especially forwards) in the draft. I'd rather stay at 21 and 33(or move back like a said earlier) because I don't see a drastic difference in players in the 12-15 range and the 20-30 range. That could change if a guy like Dal Colle starts falling down the draft, but I just don't see it happening.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
I think Fabbri will be a very good player(many of the things said about Fabbri were said about Schwartz in his draft year) but I'm not sure how far I'd move up to get him. If he's there at 21, I would be upset if the Blues passed on him. I think this draft is better than people have been saying. There isn't that marquee name at the top like Mackinnon, Stamkos, Tavaras etc. but there are plenty of very good players(especially forwards) in the draft. I'd rather stay at 21 and 33(or move back like a said earlier) because I don't see a drastic difference in players in the 12-15 range and the 20-30 range. That could change if a guy like Dal Colle starts falling down the draft, but I just don't see it happening.

Agree completely. The team is in 'win now' for the next four or five years and we need to bank on getting solid, later picks and developing sleepers into the sound system of a competitive team. This post supports that train of thought

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I'm hypothesizing and projecting here, so bear with me... If we do get Fabbri and he turns out to be a top six guy, ( I know, not a given), and Rattie makes the NHL and also becomes a top six, (also not a given), that gives us Fabbri, Rattie and Schwartz in our top six in a couple of years. Is anybody else concened that makes our projected top six a little...small?

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Options

Certainly the Blues will have options in the NHL draft. To me the size of Fabbri and HoSang work against the team selecting them. With Schwartz and Ratty( probably another year away) in the system they just don't make sense. At 21, or close to that , one of a pool of players
(Larkin, Barbashev,Scherbak, Schmaltz, Bleackley) should be available.
These guys are bigger framed players that just seem like a better fit.
The best thing is that there are an excess of center and wingers in this
draft. So the Blues should have good options with their first two picks.
One player I would like to see the blues trade up for would be Brandan Perlini, to me he has the size, hands, and hockey IQ to be special. If he falls into that 12 to 15 range he would be ideal for the Blues.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'm hypothesizing and projecting here, so bear with me... If we do get Fabbri and he turns out to be a top six guy, ( I know, not a given), and Rattie makes the NHL and also becomes a top six, (also not a given), that gives us Fabbri, Rattie and Schwartz in our top six in a couple of years. Is anybody else concened that makes our projected top six a little...small?

I wouldn't be all that concerned about it because we could put guys like Backes, Jaskin, Steen, Bergie etc. on the same line. Guys with skill and speed are becoming more and more important in the NHL. Fabbri, Schwartz, and Rattie each have a ton of skill. It wouldn't concern me at all.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Certainly the Blues will have options in the NHL draft. To me the size of Fabbri and HoSang work against the team selecting them. With Schwartz and Ratty( probably another year away) in the system they just don't make sense. At 21, or close to that , one of a pool of players
(Larkin, Barbashev,Scherbak, Schmaltz, Bleackley) should be available.
These guys are bigger framed players that just seem like a better fit.
The best thing is that there are an excess of center and wingers in this
draft. So the Blues should have good options with their first two picks.
One player I would like to see the blues trade up for would be Brandan Perlini, to me he has the size, hands, and hockey IQ to be special. If he falls into that 12 to 15 range he would be ideal for the Blues.

I don't agree - I think you draft based on BPA, even if the BPA is on the small side. If, in the future, the Blues think the size of their team is detrimental to their success, they can always make a trade to get bigger. In the draft, I'll take skill over size.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00