Music: Motley Crue Is Banned From The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame For 'Bad Behaviour' Despite Many Inductees Being Guilty Of Actual Crimes

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

After playing at his induction ceremony for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Friday night, legendary rocker Steve Miller used his acceptance speech to jab at the institution for not being more inclusive of women.
He went further with his criticisms in an interview backstage with the Associated Press.
"They make it so difficult for the artists," said the 72-year-old. "I think it's time for the people running this to turn it over to new people."
The organization has been criticized over the years for several reasons, including the fact that those who choose the inductees -- including founder Jann Wenner, who is also the editor-in-chief of Rolling Stone -- are not musicians themselves.
The nominating committee was once also criticized by a former member as "too old, too male, too white, too rich," Billboard reported. And there's the issue of the lack of transparency around the nomination process, with some artists making it in while others do not.
"I don't know why I was nominated for this because ... I don't get along with the people who run it," Miller said Friday.
The New York Times reports that Miller also took issue with how the event was managed.
"When they told me I was inducted they said, 'You have two tickets -- one for your wife and one for yourself. Want another one? It’s $10,000. Sorry, that’s the way it goes,'" he said. "What about my band? What about their wives?"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What was your initial reaction when you realized that he didn’t know or care who you were?

Pat and I were both definitely disappointed, to say the least. But you never really know what to expect when you meet quote unquote “superstars.” Rock & roll superstars, it used to be different for them. Playing stadiums and selling millions and millions of albums. It’s almost like he doesn’t have respect for the younger generations and how hard it is in the business today. When he made his first record, he did it at Olympic Studios with Glyn Johns. Pat and I made our first record in a basement with broken gear.

But we were there for the same reasons. Because we love music and because I felt like we had a connection just because I come from a place where I love blues music and so does he. And at least we had that connection, but that ended up not mattering in the end.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
What was your initial reaction when you realized that he didn’t know or care who you were?

Pat and I were both definitely disappointed, to say the least. But you never really know what to expect when you meet quote unquote “superstars.” Rock & roll superstars, it used to be different for them. Playing stadiums and selling millions and millions of albums. It’s almost like he doesn’t have respect for the younger generations and how hard it is in the business today. When he made his first record, he did it at Olympic Studios with Glyn Johns. Pat and I made our first record in a basement with broken gear.

But we were there for the same reasons. Because we love music and because I felt like we had a connection just because I come from a place where I love blues music and so does he. And at least we had that connection, but that ended up not mattering in the end.

Miller has been a grumpy old man for awile

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
There's always the Country Music Hall of Fame. It seems only fair with Dolly Parton getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Reactions: Sentinel

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
That's tough. I know that by the 90s they were kind of looked down upon, but similar to Def Leopard, they put out some objectionably great music.

I even like the 90s self-titles with John Corabi. It was very popular back then, and the industry has put a lot of energy and resources into retconning it out of existence for some reason.
def leppard's stuff is on another level compared to motley crue. their 80s albums are some of the best of the decade and they were 100% deserving of getting in

motley crue is garbage aside from a handful of songs and mick mars was the only one with talent in the entire band

• Haha
Reactions: Sentinel

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
def leppard's stuff is on another level compared to motley crue. their 80s albums are some of the best of the decade and they were 100% deserving of getting in

motley crue is garbage aside from a handful of songs and mick mars was the only one with talent in the entire band
LOL

On a train into London, listening to Def right now.

From their first Album in the early 80s until their misteps in the mid 90s. Def did not have many fillers on their albums. Even on their best albums, crue always had too many fillers on theirs

Defs latest album while not great. . It is channelling their heyday style. They are still having fun. Crue is a cover band for the last 15 years

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018

After playing at his induction ceremony for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Friday night, legendary rocker Steve Miller used his acceptance speech to jab at the institution for not being more inclusive of women.
He went further with his criticisms in an interview backstage with the Associated Press.
"They make it so difficult for the artists," said the 72-year-old. "I think it's time for the people running this to turn it over to new people."
The organization has been criticized over the years for several reasons, including the fact that those who choose the inductees -- including founder Jann Wenner, who is also the editor-in-chief of Rolling Stone -- are not musicians themselves.
The nominating committee was once also criticized by a former member as "too old, too male, too white, too rich," Billboard reported. And there's the issue of the lack of transparency around the nomination process, with some artists making it in while others do not.
"I don't know why I was nominated for this because ... I don't get along with the people who run it," Miller said Friday.
The New York Times reports that Miller also took issue with how the event was managed.
"When they told me I was inducted they said, 'You have two tickets -- one for your wife and one for yourself. Want another one? It’s $10,000. Sorry, that’s the way it goes,'" he said. "What about my band? What about their wives?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you look at who isn't in- the list is almost as good as those that are in:
100 artists- not in the hall

of note
Glen Campbell
Ozzy- as a solo act
Eurythmics
Pat Benatar- actually finally in last year- so this list is a bit old, but still.
Alice In Chains
Jethro Tull
Dick Dale

I mean i love Joy Division but they aren't the type of band i think of when i hear "Rock & roll hall of fame".

Reactions: Gurn

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Of note, the recent playoff broadcasts have been playing Crue tunes while outro-ing to commercials. A lot of stuff off "Too Fast For Love".

I have 32 songs on my Crue playlist. They may have been killed off by GnR or Nirvana or whatever, but they were dominant in the early 80s. Bad behaviour was their calling card. I doubt they could satisfy the HoF's standards while still being successful. Does anyone really care about the HoF anyway?

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Bad Behaviour by musicians!!! Stop it!!

Lmao. If that’s the case then it’s time to remove many from the hall of fame. Motley Crue should 100% be in the hall. So stupid lol

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Yes, the HOF needs more musicians who killed other musicians while driving drunk.
Do we need people who beat women like Elvis and James Brown? It sucks what happened with Vince driving drunk but I’m sure everyone partying with him that night knew he was hammered but got in the car anyways. I’m sure at least 90% of everyone in the Hall drove drunk/high many times back in the day but were lucky enough to not have a major accident

Last edited:
Reactions: DaaaaB's

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Do we need people who beat women like Elvis and James Brown? It sucks what happened with Vince driving drunk but I’m sure everyone partying with him that night knew he was hammered but got in the car anyways. I’m sure at least 90% of everyone in the Hall drove drunk/high many times back in the day but were lucky enough to not have a major accident
Well in that case!

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Crue has been saying this for years. How many glam or hard Rock bands are in the hall.

Bands like ACDC and Priest only got in due fan and media pressure.

I do not mind Crue, but when a band like Iron Maiden, who have been eligible for 25 years can not get in, you can see why Crue is having trouble.

Crue has mastered the art of self promotion and trying to play the victim.

The fact GNR got in sort of hurt this theory.
Sounds like a former president.:nod:

Crue is nowhere good enough to be there. Didn't have the right kind of influence, just the crazy kind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beau Knows

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I will not tolerate Crue slander.
Agreed. Like Metallica and The Cult, Crue was great until Bob Rock got his greasy hands on them. Their early work would carry any other group of assholes into the Hall. They could fill a whole single disc greatest hits, which is more than a lot of folks in there. (for example, far more than Pat Benatar, who sold less than 1/5th of the records they did)

Last edited:

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Agreed. Like Metallica and The Cult, Crue was great until Bob Rock got his greasy hands on them. Their early work would carry any other group of assholes into the Hall. They could fill a whole single disc greatest hits, which is more than a lot of folks in there. (for example, far more than Pat Benatar, who sold less than 1/5th of the records they did)
To stay on topic, I will say Crue should be in the RRHOF. I think it's easy. I don't think some problematic history should be keeping them out. If it is, like others have said here lets retroactively apply it to many that are already in there. That won't happen obviously, especially since many of those artists were hugely influential AND critical darlings.

In regards to Pat Benatar....

Pat Benatar doesn't seem like a controversial choice to me and I don't think it's fair to judge her for getting in because Motley Crue hasn't yet.

She had at least a dozen top 40 hits that I can think of. She was trailblazer at the time, one of very few women doing what she did and doing it very successfully. She was also hugely influential on many female singers to come after her.

Certainly Pat Benatar > Stevie Nicks solo work which to me was a strange choice to make the RRHOF IMO though I understand she's a music industry and cultural icon so that helps.

Also IMO, Pat Benatar > Joan Jett. Joan's work in the Runaways and her solo stuff were very influential no doubt so that is huge. But if we are just talking about the music she made solo, her biggest hits that she is known for are mostly cover songs...

My $0.02.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Were they much better than Ratt?
They were much more successful. Ratt sold over 20 million albums worldwide and had two top-40 hits. Motley Crue sold over 100 million albums worldwide and had 22 top-40 hits.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
They were much more successful. Ratt sold over 20 million albums worldwide and had two top-40 hits. Motley Crue sold over 100 million albums worldwide and had 22 top-40 hits.
That I get, but you take their discographies blind and who do you think is better and to what degree?

I don't know if there's a ban but I'm sure any voter that read The Dirt came away thinking like I did "what awful people!" and when it comes time to vote they are hesitant.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That I get, but you take their discographies blind and who do you think is better and to what degree?
I think that Motley Crue is better by a mile. Their songs are a lot catchier and they have a distinct sound, whereas Ratt sounds like generic hard rock. That's my opinion, but I think that the respective numbers of hits and sales suggest that an overwhelming majority would pick them, too, especially if taking image and controversy out of the equation. There's a reason why you often hear Crue songs in arenas during game stoppages and never Ratt. I'm not trying to put down Ratt, but it's not a fair comparison, IMO.

Reactions: kook10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad