OT: Most underrated Jet 1.0 2.0

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I’m not sure the argument it’s turned his whole game around. He’s an offensive player first and always will be, we all know that. Sure, quicker and better zone exits helps, but that helps everyone. I see KC making better reads on exit, making better reads on how high or low he needs to be along the wall, reading reverses, delaying with the puck better, not flying the zone as early and knowi when to skate it himself.
For me, those are the wingers primary jobs in the D zone. I’d also add his back pressure when he’s in the F3 position has been a lot better this year. Much better than 26 and 55, that’s for sure.

I agree with all the points on where he has improved his game -
I might not be totally aligned on why those things have improved -

Yes, better zones exits help and of course that would help everyone - but especially the high end offensive guys that can't get much done when they can get anything going.
He's not making that first pass a quickly as he used to - he used to dish if off soon as they turned it up ice and some of that was due to lack of energy IMO.
PLD also makes life easier for him in the Dzone with his down low play and helping out the D - same with Svech. And our D in general are better.

I don't think it is all on his change in environment but I wanted to add the other things that I think are also making it easier for him to create offense.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I agree with all the points on where he has improved his game -
I might not be totally aligned on why those things have improved -

Yes, better zones exits help and of course that would help everyone - but especially the high end offensive guys that can't get much done when they can get anything going.
He's not making that first pass a quickly as he used to - he used to dish if off soon as they turned it up ice and some of that was due to lack of energy IMO.
PLD also makes life easier for him in the Dzone with his down low play and helping out the D - same with Svech. And our D in general are better.

I don't think it is all on his change in environment but I wanted to add the other things that I think are also making it easier for him to create offense.
I don’t think it’s all a matter of who he’s playing with. KC has objectively improved in areas that he controls, regardless of who he’s playing with. Getting pinned in your own zone isn’t always always a reflection of any individual players defensive performance and losing a few board battles isn’t really something I’d measure. Better positioning and more awareness are things he’s improved regardless of who he’s out there with. He’s always backchecked, but this year I think he’s been more effective at it because he’s been better in recognizing when he’s the high man in the zone. In years past, he’s get stuck down below the dot with his line mates and then the chase was on.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Great thread / topic

1.0 - Alexi Zhamnov. Amazing visions and skills. I don't think he ever got the credit that he deserved in Winnipeg and around the league as an elite player. I know only with Winnipeg for 4 years, but was well over a point per game player during that time (even in his rookie year)....and I remember listening to that legendary game on the radio (Bring back Keilback!) ....immortalized in this local community by @Zhamnov5GoalGame Goalies were Kelly Hrudey and Grant Fuhr that he victamized....so not exactly slouches!

2.0 - Buff. He garnered many accolades - but was a game changer like no other. Commanded the ice like none other when he stepped onto it. Offensive abilities, big shot, physicality, leadership and pulling 3 opposing players out of a scrum by himself and rag dolling them. His charisma would be another intangible that I would throw in....from his chirps to grinning at cameras when battling in the corners. He, for me, is our 2.0 legend. Miss you buddy, may you live a long and happy life with your family and your fishing rod!

Skill wise you can't touch Zhamnov (puck on a string).
Plus that lock out shortened season of his was one for the ages.
He had a legit chance to win the scoring title on the last day of the season.
Unfortunately he only got 1 point and Lindros and Jagr got 3 each to break their 3-way deadlock for first place.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Setting aside the names already mentioned (Enstrom, Little) - Kyle Wellwood was surprising effective as a scorer in the early years of 2.0 on a team starved of legitimate scoring.

Reactions: kanadalainen

W Jets fan

Jun 14, 2004
I miss Little so much! We really need his defensive play right now! Definitely the most underrated player 2.0!!!!!!

igorulanov

Jan 31, 2015
Winnipeg
Agreed...great thread.

I'd go with hawerchuk and little, but couple of honorable mentions...

1.0...Housley is underrated by Winnipeg fans... I think I saw a stat that he was on the ice for 56 of Teemu's 76. Maybe highest 1.0 dman ceiling.

2.0...Adam Lowry. In his role, he'd be a demigod if he played in a big market.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
1.0 Doug Smail - short in stature, he was a mainstay for a decade in Winnipeg. Had a big heart, and was instrumental in helping keep the team competitive.

2.0- Tobias Enstrom- selected as an All-Star early on, Enstrom really never got the respect he deserved. Was always a solid defender, and could play as a 1st pairing D-man for the majority of his career.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I will Dave Christian your Dougie Smail. Smail was a huge fan favorite as I recall. Christian was Bryan Little 1.0 and was run out of town.

LOL.

That is ironic that you say that. Christian demanded out of Winnipeg, to play in the United States, and hated playing on a small market Canadian team. He hated the extra taxes, being paid in Canadian money, and it did not help that the Jets were terrible when he was a player, and it was a small market city in the middle of the country.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
LOL.

That is ironic that you say that. Christian demanded out of Winnipeg, to play in the United States, and hated playing on a small market Canadian team. He hated the extra taxes, being paid in Canadian money, and it did not help that the Jets were terrible when he was a player, and it was a small market city in the middle of the country.
Was not aware of that

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I will Dave Christian your Dougie Smail. Smail was a huge fan favorite as I recall. Christian was Bryan Little 1.0 and was run out of town.

:laugh: Forgot all about Christian.

As I recall, he wanted out. Don't remember the reason.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
2.0 and this will be based mostly off my non-HF interactions over the years; Enstrom & Ehlers.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
LOL.

Yes, he wanted out, but seemed like a decent guy. I can't hold it against him.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Hmm most underrated Buff some people didn’t like his turnovers but such a difference maker.

Kfc is still underrated around here. Even now, as our top winger Ehlers pld schief get way more love than him yet he continually just puts up 30 goal seasons.

still pencilled in to 2nd line and never complains.

KC is more underrated on the Jets board but Ehlers is more underrated league-wide

(also, "still pencilled in"? KC has spent most of his career at #1LW. He isn't suffering.)

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
KC is more underrated on the Jets board but Ehlers is more underrated league-wide

(also, "still pencilled in"? KC has spent most of his career at #1LW. He isn't suffering.)
Many people on the league wide boards would say Ehlers is better even though one is top 5 in league in goals.
most players that lead their team in points are considered the team’s best player.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Many people on the league wide boards would say Ehlers is better even though one is top 5 in league in goals.
most players that lead their team in points are considered the team’s best player.

Is Guentzel the best Penguins player? Is Kadri the best Avalanche player? Is Draisaitl better than McDavid?
Anyways I'm pretty sure Connor would win in a main board H2H poll

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad